Invitation to view a photo from Michael Maxey's Picasa Web Album - Lippincott Family

Michael Maxey

Jul 23, 2008, 12:08:40 PM7/23/08
to JR...@googlegroups.com
You are invited to view a photo from Michael Maxey's photo album: Lippincott Family
Lippincott Cowboys
View Photo
Message from Michael Maxey:
This photo is of JRHS alumni -- John Maxey Lippincott and his siblings Rodney, Nancy and Bob -- as cowboys circa 1955.

As usual, posting photos is free -- if you want one removed it's $50. Just kidding.

Michael Maxey
If you are having problems viewing this email, copy and paste the following into your browser:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/95zMysrjjAPswJMbW2FRFQ
To share your photos or receive notification when your friends share photos, get your own free Picasa Web Albums account.

hspe...@bellsouth.net

Jul 23, 2008, 4:48:06 PM7/23/08
to JR...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

Your pictures of you, Earl, Hal,and Ray at Jim's wedding and similar smoke gets in your eyes poses in subsequent years reminds me of a series of books by Bob Green about five friends who remained friends from age 5 and through life so far even though they are in differents cities now. The one I just read was "And You Know You Should Be Glad" (from the Beatles song "She Loves You Yea, Yea, Yea") It deals with the terminal illness of of of the 5 friends and is poignent and funny. The 5 friends call themsellves ABCD and J for Allen, Bob, Chuck, Dan and Jack. I think you would enjoy it if you get time between Iraq Peru etc. Kim Johnson is going to Peru in a week or two. He and his wife met on a mission trip to Peru and first go acquainted at Micchu Piccu (not sure of spelling.) So, they are returning. His email is k-sq...@earthlink.net. I reallly respect you for trying to make a difference in Iraq.

Hubert
-------------- Original message from Michael Maxey <maxey...@gmail.com>: --------------

Michael Maxey

Jul 23, 2008, 6:11:54 PM7/23/08
to JR...@googlegroups.com, k-sq...@earthlink.net
Hubert,

Thanks for the email.  I've started posting some of the photos from Machu Picchu at http://picasaweb.google.com/maxey.info/PeruTrip072008.  I'll add more over the next few days.  It's been a great trip.  I forgot how wonderful the Peruvian food is.  We are wrapping up everything today.  I stopped by the Embassy to see some old friends and later went to a pineapple processing facility supplying pineapple to all of Lima's supermarkets.  We were also able to stop and see a natural gas service station for cars.  Peru is converting its cars to natural gas with support from a government sponsored program to take advantage of the abundant natural gas supplies in the country.  Cars run further, cheaper and cleaner on natural gas than with a comparable cost of gasoline.  Very impressive stuff.  I'll post photos of both the pineapple processing and natural gas info later.

We head back to Washington DC tomorrow and will make a short visit to Grenada on August 2nd.  I head back to Iraq on August 5th to start a four month period of service there before coming back home in December for a month.  I'll finish up in Iraq in February/March next year.  I started writing the outline of a paper on my experience in Iraq and I'll post something as it progresses.  I am going to have to be more disciplined to write and capture a sense of what we are doing.  No matter who wins in November, the US is going to be involved to some degree in post conflict reconstruction over the next few years.  We have some great models in Iraq of what I believe can be an effective strategy for non-kinetic (that is, non-lethal) counter-insurgency programs.

I hope Kim has a good trip.  Machu Picchu is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Michael Maxey
JRHS 1970
Message has been deleted

Michael Maxey

Aug 20, 2013, 6:11:02 PM8/20/13
to jr...@googlegroups.com, JR...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hubert,

I will look up the book you mention.  It is great to see Earle, Ray and Nomad periodically and keep up.  My daughter has gone back to Mississippi as a Teach for America teacher in the Delta and I am going back often to support her.  The trips provide a great excuse to reconnect with Earle and Ray.

Great to hear that Kim Johnson is going back to Peru with his wife.  We love Peru.  Our youngest was born in Lima.  We were last back in 2008 and I took the children to Machu Picchu.  My brother, Larry, and I hiked the 47 km Inca Trail leading to the Sun Gate back in 2000 (wow, 13 years ago -- how time flies).  Thanks for Kim's email.

Iraq was interesting.  My focus lately has been Yemen which is now in such turmoil that everyone was brought back to the US.  Sad situation.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Mike