jQuery UI calendar missing character that represents year in Chinese, Japanese & Korean

z-coder

Aug 18, 2009, 9:54:07 AM8/18/09
to jQuery UI Development
There is a character in Chinese, Japanese & Korean that represents a
year. In Chinese and Japanese, it is 年. In Korean, it is 년. For
example, Aug. 2009 will be expressed as following:
Chinese: 2009年8月
Japanese: 2009年8月
Korean: 2009년 8월

The character that reprents year in these languages is missing in
localized jQuery-ui 1.7.1 calendar when locale is set to these three
countries. For Japanese, it display as as 20098月. This is incorrect
and missleading.

Having checked the jquery-ui-1.7.1.custom.min & jquery-ui-i18n, I did
not find any attribute that reprents this character. Please let me
know if I am wrong, or if this is a known issue and there is a fix to
this problem.

If this is indeed an issue, there is an easy way to fix this in jquery-
ui-1.7.1.custom.min & jquery-ui-i18n. First add one attribute with
localized year character as value in localized initialisation for the
jQuery UI date picker plugin. Then, when the html is generated the
year part will be conditionally generated. Or add this attribute that
represents year character in all languages. For those languages that
do not need this character, such as English and French, set the
attribute value to empty character. The generated html will have
correct date format.

If this or similar fix is necessary, how can we get the fix committed
in future jQuery UI release?

Thanks

Yalai Zhang

Jörn Zaefferer

Aug 19, 2009, 3:27:07 AM8/19/09
to jquery...@googlegroups.com
The localization files are here:
http://jquery-ui.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ui/i18n/

I suggest you make a checkout, fix the offending files, and attach a
patch to a ticket: http://dev.jqueryui.com/newticket (requires
login/registration)

Jörn

Cloudream

Aug 19, 2009, 12:27:43 PM8/19/09
to jquery...@googlegroups.com
I found there is a "yearSuffix" option but without values, and it is not present in 1.7 document. When was it added?

I think we can just add values to this option.

I'll file the ticket and fix for CJK i18n.