Improve text-overflow to handle vertical overflows

Roland Warmerdam

Dec 5, 2011, 4:07:06 AM12/5/11
to jquery-s...@googlegroups.com
I've been using text-overflow recently and I discovered the hard way that it doesn't work for text that overflows vertically (out the bottom of an element). This limitation isn't documented on MDN, so it was a frustrating experience of trial and error. I think that text-overflow should be improved to support vertical overflows as well, since this is the the most common use case (eg: multi-line summary descriptions). At the very least the MDN documentation should be updated with this limitation.

divya manian

Dec 5, 2011, 10:40:10 AM12/5/11
to jquery-s...@googlegroups.com
Roland,

MDN is a wiki, you could login and edit it yourself:

https://developer.mozilla.org/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&returntotitle=en%2FCSS%2Ftext-overflow

That said, text-overflow is not a panacea that most designers look
for. You are sadly still better off doing it server-side for most
use-cases.