Autocomplete

Jörn Zaefferer

Sep 29, 2009, 5:12:23 PM9/29/09
to jquer...@googlegroups.com
I've looked at the ARIA spec for autocomplete recommendations, but
there really isn't that much:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#aria-autocomplete

I added the aria-autocomplete and aria-haspopup attributes to the
input, and the suggestionlist has attributes to mark it as a menu:
http://jquery-ui.googlecode.com/svn/branches/dev/tests/visual/autocomplete/select.html

In my tests with NVDA the result isn't even that bad: When entering a
value, all suggestion are read (for some reason, each one is read
twice) and when using cursor down key, it reads the focused item
(though for some reason the visual focus is lost). The biggest issue
so far, apart from the annoying read-each-item-twice flaw, is that I
can't enter more characters into the field after the first list of
suggestions is displayed. For example, after typing "a", I can't type
a "v", instead it says something like (in german on my machine) "no
more [garble]", which I can't understand, therefore I have no idea
where that issue might come from.

Ideas? Recommendations?

Jörn