jqplot.com updated

Paul Pritchard

Aug 15, 2015, 12:14:09 PM8/15/15
to jqplot-dev
I updated jqplot.com with the current version of jqPlot (1.0.8).  This includes:

1) Updated the examples pages.  The old page was out of date.  The new page includes all of the examples in the repository.
2) Updated docs pages.  In the current build, the docs are generated by NaturalDocs, which is a perl module.  This updated the docs to the version in the repository.
3) Updated download page.  This now has all of the versions of jqPlot for download.
4) Modifications to the Info page.  This now points to github instead of bitbucket and mentions this group as well as the users group.

 A website redesign is needed, but this at least brings the website up-to-date with the repository.

--Paul

Johan Bové

Aug 18, 2015, 3:09:26 AM8/18/15
to jqplot-dev
Thanks for the improvements!
Having more examples really helps.

Ruben Olsen

Oct 12, 2015, 10:16:50 AM10/12/15
to jqplot-dev
Hi Guys,

I notice that it seems we now have two active project on the same source and the same name. I really do not care for the political rationale behind doing this.

What I care for is the documentation, and I am now ready to take on the documentation again - but I am a bit a miss on where to put my effort.

If we are really going to end up with two diverging forks which more or less has the same API signatures, it seems that this is a path to a lot of overhead with regards to the documentation.

Currently we have to different source-forms wrt the same documentation. This is really not a Good Thing.

My suggestion is thus that I create a new repository that is dedicated to the documentation - without any ties to neither of the two forks.

Any comment?

\Ruben

Paul Pritchard

Oct 13, 2015, 2:35:37 PM10/13/15
to jqplot-dev
Hi Ruben. Any contributions that you want to make to the jqplot documentation are welcome.  We'll continue to maintain the documentation within the jqplot repository  Docs are created as part of the build process and included with each release, and are loaded to the jqplot.com website from there.

I've been working on converting the old toolchain to grunt.  That's complete, and I'm in the process of incorporating that change and Johan's big pull request in order into a new release.  The biggest need regarding documentation currently is to migrate from the NaturalDocs tool to JSDoc, so that we have that as a basis for changes to the documentation going forward.  If you could help with that, it would be great!  But again, any contributions are welcome.

--Paul

Johan Bové

Oct 31, 2015, 8:29:50 AM10/31/15
to jqplot-dev
Hi,

I do also regret that we got split up into two projects now. I personally made the decision to go forward with the original jQplot project since that's where it all started. I really appreciate the efforts done by Steeve a lot to reboot jQplot. However I believe the original structure of the project in how the plugins are stored in a single folder instead of multiple separate folders to be more convenient and it makes it difficult for me to keep track of two projects. It's also commendable that Paul managed to transfer the Ant build process over to Grunt.

The original jqPlot API documentation system is closely tied to the source code and the build system. A thought: if we define a function commenting structure, do we then still need a separate central documentation project? Once we write out the function documentation in a consistent way, won't everything be generated by NaturalDocs?

I would like to hear from the community here, as to what direction they prefer this project to go in; but in the end everyone is free to start their own fork of the project.

Therefore I have been organizing the issues and pull requests in the jQplot Github repo.

Best Regards
Johan

Greg Watkins

Nov 22, 2015, 3:33:47 PM11/22/15
to jqplot-dev
Hi

Firstly, as a (relatively recent) jqPlot user, thank you to everyone who has worked on it.

I would like to hear from the community here, as to what direction they prefer this project to go in; but in the end everyone is free to start their own fork of the project.

Here is my view.
jqPlot has a really small number of developers. It is really not in the interest of the user community to have the efforts split.
As far as I can see, https://github.com/svandecappelle/jQPlot was created solely because he (Steve?) received no responses from Paul over a period of time. Paul, are you able to commit the time going forward to ensure reasonable response times to other contributers?
Does Steve read this forum? If so, are you prepared to merge https://github.com/svandecappelle/jQPlot back into https://github.com/jqPlot/jqPlot, and to contribute to the latter going forward, instead of maintaining a separate branch?
If there are any concerns from either side then I think it will be in everyone's interest for the two project owners/custodians to set up a voice call, strike a conciliatory tone and work through any issues so that jqPlot/jQPlot can have one unified team again.

Thanks again for the great tool.
Greg