re: http://www.jpquake.info/home/new-york-times-the

JC

May 17, 2012, 11:00:43 PM5/17/12
to JPquake Wall of Shame
I don’t think the claim of reporting errors and faults in The New York
Times story by Hiroko Tabuchi and Andrew Pollack (http://
www.jpquake.info/home/new-york-times-the) listed on the edited version
of the Journalist Wall of Shame are valid. I cited the complaints made
here in an error report on Mediabugs.org, a website dedicated to
correcting errors made by US media outlets and more, and in a separate
email to the Times. You can view the error report on the Media Bugs
website (http://mediabugs.org/bugs/critics-punch-holes-in-nyt-leaking-
reactor-story) as well as a summary of a reply from the New York
Times. I know this is now an old story by news standards but I hope,
for the record, you will consider removing it from the Wall in light
of the information highlighted on the Media Bugs report and elsewhere.
Thanks for your time and consideration of this matter.

-JC

@stagerabbit

May 18, 2012, 12:04:32 AM5/18/12
to jpquake-wa...@googlegroups.com
Hi JC,

I haven't removed the post, but I have reviewed and updated it. Our main problem with the piece was the use of an anonymous source with vague qualifications saying things that were not factual (bulldozers, scattered fuel rods, etc.). I personally didn't find the NYT's reply much more than misdirection.

We, however, were just plain old-fashioned wrong about the explosion at unit 2, and I've noted that.

I've tried to comment on the mediabugs posting, but sadly, it seems that since they've closed the bug, no one else can comment on it.

-S.R.

@stagerabbit

May 18, 2012, 12:15:11 AM5/18/12
to jpquake-wa...@googlegroups.com
And, I meant to add: thanks for bringing this to our attention. I didn't know about mediabugs.org... pretty unbelievable, but true! So glad to have found it!

S.R.