New Site: Pretty much the same

@stagerabbit

Apr 18, 2011, 12:15:44 AM4/18/11
to jpquake-wa...@googlegroups.com
So the new site looks pretty much the same as the old one, I'm afraid.

While wikispaces has been very good to us, we've outgrown them. We moved away from wikispaces for several reasons (key reasons in yellow):

  • Not really any good way to build the 'edited' version of the wall
    • HTML tables export as gobbledygook if there are internal line breaks in the cells
    •  Google had support for a 'lists'-type page that allowed us to build the edited list and link to individual pages
  • We were using Google Docs anyway, so it made life easier for the editorial team to only have one login, not two
  • We weren't using the wiki features of wikispaces anyway (sadly: I really wanted this to be more a wiki-style project)
  • Google sites uses encrypted passwords (https)
    • Security became more of an issue as we changed scale
  • We wanted to add a forum, and Google Groups seemed an okay choice and would use the same username/password

Google sites isn't a perfect solution either, but it's easier to work with for now, and it's the best free solution we could identify.

@stagerabbit