Does jPOS have built-in HTTP client and server?

Artemidoros Euthymius

Apr 17, 2024, 9:07:06 AMApr 17
to jPOS Users
Since jPOS allows us to build a server that accepts incoming ISO 8583 messages or a given host and port, does that mean that jPOS has built-in HTTP client and a server, liks Spring Boot has?

Andrés Alcarraz

Apr 17, 2024, 10:03:35 AMApr 17
to jpos-...@googlegroups.com
In most cases, those messages don't arrive over HTTP, but over plain TCP/IP connections.

jPOS provides ways of handling HTTP connections both incoming rest calls (qrest module of jPOS-EE which uses netty), and outgoing, but if your interested in ISO8583 exchanges, which basically is why jPOS was born, HTTP is not the most relevant part.

Later you can study those things, mostly to interact with other system or perform more complex things. But the bottom line is, you don't need HTTP at all for basic stuff. You will understand that if you follow the first two jPOS tutorials in http://jpos.org/tutorials. I didn't get to check the newer ones yet, but those two offers a clear way on how you can easily build a complete simple jPOS based gateway. Those tutorials don't use HTTP in any part, and have an insight of how a gateway usually works. Connections tend to be persistent TCP/IP connections.

In more modern stuff you will need to accept some Rest calls and perform others, but in IMHO you need to start with the basics.

If you want to build your first jPOS project, I don't have a concrete tip to give you, other than that gateway is itself one of the most simple jPOS projects you can build; you could then build over that. It's hard to trace a route if we don't know your focus, or why did you choose jPOS to build a career; what prompted you to choose jPOS, which is the ideal job you aspire to have by using jPOS, etc.

Andrés Alcarraz
On 17/4/24 08:07, Artemidoros Euthymius wrote:
Since jPOS allows us to build a server that accepts incoming ISO 8583 messages or a given host and port, does that mean that jPOS has built-in HTTP client and a server, liks Spring Boot has?
jPOS is licensed under AGPL - free for community usage for your open-source project. Licenses are also available for commercial usage. Please support jPOS, contact: sa...@jpos.org
---

Constantino Voulgaris

Apr 18, 2024, 9:09:33 AMApr 18
to jpos-...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure you went through the resources I pointed out? I think the first three tutorials in http://jpos.org/tutorials answer your question. You don't need Springboot or an application server to run jPOS, but you can very well use your preferred one with jPOS inside it.

Perhaps following the tutorials and giving an express read to the first chapters of the jPOS Programmer's Guide may help you get some traction. Same by attending the informational webinar.