Lisa LaRue 2KX-Fast and Blue Review

1 view

Gerardo (Crusader)

Jul 12, 2011, 12:26:02 PM7/12/11
to John Payne Music
Hi all,

I have not seen any fan review of the new Lisa LaRue 2KX- Fast and
Blue cd, so I thought I give my own. I received this cd last Saturday
and it's been living in my cd player/mp3player ever since. This is a
fantastic album! Unlike her previous work, this cd finds Ms. LaRue and
company in complete prog rock territory. The first 5 tracks are
instrumental and the last two are the vocal tracks. The standout is
the instrumental track "Prometheus" that clocks at almost 18 minutes.
This is one monster instrumental song that captures your attention and
never let you go and, even at 18 minutes long, doesn't outstay its
welcome and never bores you, it's that good! At times the playing on
this track reminds me of The Flower Kings instrumental excursions, but
done better (pay attention Mr. Roine Stolt!), but the songs have many
twists and turns (even entering into prog-metal territory on
occasion), it doesn't sound like anything else. At around the 17
minute mark you think the song ends only to keep going for around a
minute more. Nice touch and something I wasn't expecting. I have to
say this is an awesome instrumental song that keeps you engaged and
entertained, this is how is done (shame on you Dream Theater!) All the
instrumentalists are given space to shine on "Prometheus" (of note,
Ryo Okumoto of Spock's Beard and GPS plays keyboards on this track). I
want to nominate it as the prog rock song of the year, 'nuff said.

When I heard track #3 "Tryptych" I felt an almost out of the body
experience. I felt the song really lifted my spirit. Unlike
"Prometheus" which is a rollercoaster ride, "Triptych" is a more
delicate acoustic based song and a nice respite after the prog rock
onslaught of "Prometheus". Track 4 "Jam Jehan Nima" is another prog
rock instrumental that starts almost in a YES-like fashion and then
develops into something else with what I perceive are eastern
influences and heavy prog rock. Another winner!

Fans of the John Payne 'Architects of Time' EP will probably like
track 5 "Lament of the Cherokee/Ruins of Home" probably not because of
the song itself, but because the voice of the narrator on the song
sounds the same as the narrator on the 'Architects of Time' EP (is
that John Payne doing the narration?) The last two tracks are the
vocal tracks. ASIA singer (and co-producer of 'Fast and Blue') John
Payne sings on the title track with Maxi Nil providing backing vocals.
This song is a rocker that is very similar in style to John's guest
appearances on the Lunatica songs "Song for You" and "Farewell My
Love". The last song, my favorite of the two vocal tracks, is
"Recurring Dream". This is a duet featuring Mr. Payne and SAGA singer
Michael Sadler. This song is stunningly beautiful, it has John Payne's
best vocal of the two tracks he sings on the album, and the song has a
YES-like feel, especially with what seems to me like Steve Howe-like
guitar playing. A nice song to close the cd.

If you don't have Lisa LaRue's 'Fast and Blue', by all means buy it!
You won't find an almost all instrumental cd that both rocks and lifts
your spirits at the same time. In my book this cd is in my top 3, in
contention for album of the year with Beardfish's 'Mammoth' and
Symphony X 'Iconoclast'. I highly recommend it!

Gerardo