GPS JAPAN

foxy!!!

Dec 8, 2010, 9:29:28 PM12/8/10
to John Payne Music
Hi all. I just noticed that
cdjapan.co.jp
shows one GPS CD left. That is where I originally got mine. Mine had a
bonus track... not sure about this one. But hurry!

Don

John Sposato

Dec 8, 2010, 11:06:37 PM12/8/10
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
When I get the money, I'll be sure to get it.  I know at least one other fan here has it.  The record label may not be around anymore
NEW Zoner Photo Studio Free - one free program for everything you do with your pictures - free.zoner.com

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Dec 20, 2010, 2:38:29 PM12/20/10
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
An appeal to fans of ASIA Featuring John Payne and ALL FANS of progressive rock from keyboardist Erik Norlander:

Moog synthesizers have played a vital role in our genre, and prog rock would sound very different without them. Since Bob Moog's passing in 2005, The Bob Moog Foundation has worked tirelessly to continue Bob's legacy. This work needs FUNDING, and now the Foundation has a unique opportunity to get a $250,000 grant (yes, that's $250,000 ...!) from the Pepsi Refresh Project.

Please VOTE for The Bob Moog Foundation athttp://www.refresheverything.com/bobmoogfoundation AND ALSO by texting 104827 to 73774. This is a simple popularity contest, and your DAILY votes will help win it.

You can vote TWICE per day, once via email, once via text. Please do! Hey, do it right now! I just did. You don't have to like Pepsi; You just have to like Bob Moog and his amazing inventions. Please pass it on!

THANKS, everybody.

Erik (keyboarder)

PS: voting ends on Dec 31

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Dec 23, 2010, 9:28:58 PM12/23/10
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Just confirmed-

ASIA Featuring John Payne
with Special Guest Bobby Kimball (Toto, YOSO)

Feb 10, 2011
Elssey Campus Theatre-Palm Beach State College
3160 PGA Blvd
Palm Beach, FL 33410
7:30pm

No ticketing information yet, we'll post it as soon as we have it.

Happy Holidays everyone!

fco_...@hotmail.com

Dec 24, 2010, 8:16:49 AM12/24/10
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Cool !!! Really very cool !!!!! Merry Xmas to all, God bless !! And may Him let us keep rockin' !!!...your friend, Francisco
Mensaje enviado desde mi terminal BlackBerry® de Porta

Gerardo (Crusader)

Dec 24, 2010, 8:58:54 AM12/24/10
to John Payne Music
Glad I moved back to my house in Florida. It looks this will be my
first concert of the year!

Gerardo
http://myradiogbr.blogspot.com/

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Dec 28, 2010, 2:50:10 PM12/28/10
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone! Hope you're enjoying the Holiday Season.

We've launched the new version of the ASIA Featuring John Payne website. We know not everyone is on Facebook or Twitter these days, so the new website will have more up to date information than before.

We also added a page called "Amazon Store" that has affiliate links to various Asia and John Payne related cds, etc on Amazon. This is an interim section until we can get our own web store going.

Let us know how you like it. You're welcome to add comments to any of the postings on the website.

Best-

Erik, web guy.

Jeff Matheus

Dec 28, 2010, 5:26:19 PM12/28/10
to jpm...@googlegroups.com

Is the URL the same? I'm getting a blank page.

JEFF

> Subject: [JPM] new website for ASIA Featuring John Payne
> From: er...@devgel.com
> Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 11:50:10 -0800
> To: jpm...@googlegroups.com

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Dec 28, 2010, 8:20:29 PM12/28/10
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I suppose sending the web address would have been good!

You can go to either http://www.theASIAband.com or http://www.ASIAworld.org

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Jan 1, 2011, 11:07:01 PM1/1/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
From John Payne-

Well 2011 is finally here. Keep your eyes peeled for several new announcements.

We appreciate your commitment to the band and as always we are always available for a chat after our shows.

So buckle up and enjoy the ride. 2011!

John Payne

Jamie Medley

Jan 2, 2011, 8:54:27 AM1/2/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
That sounds Great !!! Can't wait !!!

(Jamie) James B. Medley

From: Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL <er...@devgel.com>

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Jan 21, 2011, 7:44:33 PM1/21/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
For Erik Norlander fans, you can see Erik live in the LA area playing with Joe Lynn Turner's BIG NOIZE -

BIG NOIZE (feat. Joe Lynn Turner, Carlos Cavazo, Phil Soussan, Vinny Appice)
When: Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:00 pm
Where: BriXton South Bay 100 W. Torrance Blvd. Redondo Beach, CA 90277
Tickets Cost: $15.00

Tickets: http://tickets.brixtonsouthbay.com/

Jeff Matheus

Jan 22, 2011, 12:14:04 AM1/22/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info. It's interesting to see how many different projects Erik is involved in. I just started listening to some of his albums with Lana Lane and his keyboards and soungwriting stamp are all over her albums. I don't think AFJP could have found a keyboard player that fits the band better.

JEFF

> Subject: [JPM] Erik Norlander live with Joe Lynn Turner
> From: er...@devgel.com
> Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:44:33 -0800
> To: jpm...@googlegroups.com

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Jan 27, 2011, 3:52:57 PM1/27/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
We are looking to get in touch with Tanya's family. Please contact me directly (off list) at er...@devgel.com

Thanks-

Erik

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Jan 27, 2011, 3:56:49 PM1/27/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
A reminder about the show tonight, and a tip that not only will your humble web guy (me) be there, but Mitch and John will be lurking about in the audience.

Tickets: http://tickets.brixtonsouthbay.com/

Also - it's my understanding that JLT's Big Noize band will be playing dates in Brazil next month. I'll found out for sure tonight.

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Jan 27, 2011, 7:43:23 PM1/27/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Just posted to Facebook and Youtube, a new video blog episode-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH3965q7mXk

This video blog shows the presentation and demo of John's new John Payne Signature Edition Bass Guitar, built by Brown's Guitar Factory. Filmed at NAMM 2011 in Anaheim, CA, John also debuts the instrumental track "Brown Dog", a bass guitar feature. Look closely and you may spot guitarist Ant Glynne who worked with John in the Passion in the 80's and recorded with Asia for portions of Aqua, Archiva and Silent Nation. Ant made it possible for us to film the bass demo in the Albion Amps sound booth at the NAMM show.

Thanks to Ant and Steve at Albion and John Brown of Brown's Guitar Factory.

Michelle Moog-Koussa

Jan 27, 2011, 6:19:21 PM1/27/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erik,

I just wanted to say hello, and thank you for keeping us all updated about AFJP.

I so wish I could be there tonight -- too bad I live in North Carolina.

In any case, hope you all have a fantastic evening. I'll be sending good vibes from Moogville.

Take care,
Michelle

Michelle Moog-Koussa
Executive Director
The Bob Moog Foundation
www.moogfoundation.org

Make Waves. Support Bob's Legacy.
(o) 828.683.7261
(c) 828.215.8414
______________________________________
Want to help the Bob Moog Foundation? Here's an easy way to help us raise funding!

I GoodSearch & GoodShop for the Bob Moog Foundation, and I encourage you to do the same. For every search and/or purchase you make, a donation will made to the Bob Moog Foundation. It's easy, and it's a free way to help an important cause.

Serg...@aol.com

Jan 27, 2011, 6:02:26 PM1/27/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Yes, they are playinb in Brazil - on a Rock Cruise.

http://eventful.com/performers/big-noize-/P0-001-000110959-2

Sandy

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Feb 2, 2011, 3:22:51 PM2/2/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Due to circumstances beyond the band's control, the gig in Florida on Feb 10 has been cancelled. Tickets are being refunded at the box office.

FYI there are more gigs in the pipeline for 2011.

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Feb 4, 2011, 10:13:26 AM2/4/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Heads up on a gig that was just confirmed today-

Mohegan Sun's Wolf Den
7/10/2011
7pm Showtime
Ticket Info-860-862-8000

I will do a proper event posting on the website later today.

-Erik, web guy.

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Feb 16, 2011, 6:40:23 PM2/16/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Erik Norlander has a new interview in Goldmine Magazine that touches on his work with Asia Featuring John Payne:

http://www.goldminemag.com/features/just-call-erik-norlander-the-analog-kid

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Mar 8, 2011, 4:23:02 AM3/8/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
ASIA Featuring John Payne Live
August 13, 2011 @ 7:30pm
On The Green at Peppertree Ranch/Guerra Family Cellars
500 John Smith Rd
Hollister, CA 95023
phone: 831-902-5354

www.hollisterconcerts.com

This date was just confirmed, it may not be on the venue's website yet. Our website will be updated later today. Hollister is near Monterey, CA.

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

Mar 17, 2011, 4:55:24 PM3/17/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Neatorama ran an interesting article "The Replacement Musicians" that included ASIA Featuring John Payne, check it out:

http://www.neatorama.com/2011/03/16/the-replacement-musicians/

(if you saw it the other day, the author kindly made some corrections to the article per our request)

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

May 4, 2011, 1:50:15 PM5/4/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
A brief update on some things from yesterday's meeting:

1) there are several new US live dates in the works;

2) Work on "Americana" is continuing steadily. More strings have gone on the album and John is doing some unique guitar work himself;

3) a GPS live release is under discussion;

4) we shot a video blog that may go up on Facebook and Youtube today;

5) how is everyone today? ;)

-Erik, web guy.

foxy!!!

May 4, 2011, 1:57:50 PM5/4/11
to John Payne Music
Everyone is keeping their fingers crossed for a 2011 release! It sure
seems like this cannot go on much longer! :)

Don Foxworth

Jamie Medley

May 4, 2011, 2:36:49 PM5/4/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Not bad for being a Wednesday....

(Jamie) James B. Medley

From: Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL <er...@devgel.com>

elizabeth rolfe

May 4, 2011, 3:57:55 PM5/4/11
to John Payne
Hello Erik,

Thanks for the update.

Have you any idea if there will be a UK tour once the album is out please?

I do hope so as we are short on concerts to go to.

Being very loyal fans we'll be there.

Kind regards.

Liz.

> Subject: [JPM] brief update
> From: er...@devgel.com
> Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 10:50:15 -0700
> To: jpm...@googlegroups.com

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

May 4, 2011, 6:50:54 PM5/4/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Liz;

I know John and the guys would love to play everywhere, especially in the UK. Until the timetable for the album release is known, they can't organize a proper tour. Right now it's a balancing act getting shows to generate work but not so much that it impinges on the album work and other projects.

Best-

Erik, web guy.

John Sposato

May 4, 2011, 8:11:17 PM5/4/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering when this group would be active again.  A lot of updates when we get them are on Facebook, but not everybody wants to use that (I'm there everyday).  This used to be unofficial but its official if Erik (web guy) and JP himself are here once in a while
I hope the band will play somewhere close to me, but we all wish that they'd book our backyards, don't we?  I won't rest 'til I see them at least once this lifetime.  So many projects, so little time!  Nobodys getting any younger!

John S.

May 5, 2011, 4:58:44 AM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the recent updates, Erik.

Thought people here would be interested in this recent Carl Palmer interview: http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/03/carl-palmer-asia-come-to-canada

There's some interesting stuff implied about AFJP, including what appears to be a legal agreement limited where AFJP can tour. Here's the key bit...

------

Q: Can you even keep track of how many people have played in Asia?

CP: I only know the original band, which finished in 1983. We started again five years ago. Everything else has been like a sort of tribute or cover band of Asia to my mind. It was something I haven't bothered with at all. Now there are a couple of bands out there doing the same thing. When we decided to get back together, obviously we made it a little more difficult for the other bands. We restricted the amount of bookings they could take on within three to six months of our dates, to keep it very clean and obvious for the public that this is the original Asia.

Henry

Jamie Medley

May 5, 2011, 11:09:50 AM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
That really sucks on the limited tour agreement....

(Jamie) James B. Medley

Claudio Momberg

May 5, 2011, 11:26:05 AM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Now we come back to the uglyness....

Rainer Kehl

May 5, 2011, 12:02:48 PM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
OA should be directing their energy in putting together better songs. As far as my musical taste is concerned JP era is far better than OA (excluding their debut album which is really good).

Bill Foucher

May 5, 2011, 11:58:23 AM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
After reading the article, and even before this, I am tiring of OA and their Holier-Than-Thou attitudes. This article just reinforces my opinion.
What an ugly divorce this has been, and the bad-mouthing continues from only the OA side. I have never heard John say anything, at least in public, negative about the others. He is a classy guy that they could learn alot from.
John, I look forward to seeing you, Erik, Mitch, and Jay this summer (hopefully!). I wish that I could say the same about the other guys.
-Bill

Bill Foucher

May 5, 2011, 11:45:51 AM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
I whole-heartedly agree!

tim sutherland

May 5, 2011, 11:44:26 AM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
"We restricted the amount of bookings they could take on within three to six months of our dates, to keep it very clean and obvious for the public that this is the original Asia."
~
...yet I saw both bands within a month of each other. I do find it rather arrogant of him to suggest that AFJP was merely a tribute band -- totally discrediting over a decade of original music.
.
While I did enjoy the "OA" show, I am a genuine AFJP fan. The appreciation the guys show towards fans at the meet & greets is obvious, whereas OA won't even give you the time of day (well, Geoff will still smile for the camera & squiggle his name).

May 5, 2011, 12:41:51 PM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Bill ~
That is so true.
Have a great day !!!

(Jamie) James B. Medley

> I do find it rather arrogant of him to suggest that AFJP was merely
> a tribute band -- totally discrediting over a decade of original music.

Well, he says what he says in a more moderate tone than you've phrased it here, but, yes, it's somewhat damning, particularly when he agreed to be on _Aqua_!

However, it's an accusation AFJP will continue to face while about half their live set is music that none of them originally played on.

Henry

fco_...@hotmail.com

May 5, 2011, 2:22:31 PM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
I do not think Palmer is arrogant to say that, IMHO and I am sure some will loath it...the real ASIA is Wetton-Downes-Howe-Palmer...yes, John Payne contributed an important era of the band, and love his albums with ASIA. But, for me it is pointless to keep calling his band ASIA (even as the band has the tittle: FJP)..and it is silly that a promo for this band consist in its video (in the the band's promotional video) is 97 per cent OA material like "heat of the moment, soul survival, don't cry..etc)...it is like Trevor Rabin having a band called YES feauturing Trevor Rabin (let us remeber that he leaded Yes through the 80's and the first half of the 90's) and his video promo is 97 per cent of the Yes material from the debut Yes album to Drama..of course he played live with Anderon and company: "roundabout", "I've seen all good peopla", "starship trooper"...but he contributed with a lot of awsome material (like John Payne did !!) to the Yes saga. I must be sincere, and all what I am saying is only giving my opinion (not hopping to spread animosity)..and my stand is that John Payne has a lot of great songs from his partnership with Downes and he doesn't need to borrow the ASIA name (he is somewhat for this fact limited) and as long as he continue to keep playing more AO songs than AFJP his band is labeled for some fans (included me) as a Tribute Band....Peace and love to all ! PS: GPS is a good example of how John can make a great work without the ASIA label
Mensaje enviado desde mi terminal BlackBerry® de Porta

May 5, 2011, 2:55:53 PM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
True. And yes, maybe I'm over-reacting too...

Josh

May 5, 2011, 3:22:05 PM5/5/11
to John Payne Music
Although Carl has a right to his opinion, it seems a wonder when
discussing the original line-up, he didn't even mention that they
carried on after Steve Howe left in '84 and made the ASTRA album. It
wasn't the complete original line-up, but they still carried on for a
little while. I don't know if it's legal matters or just embarrassment
that the original band can't talk about Payne's era. It's as if it
never existed, but it did, whether anyone likes it or not. It was
still in every way Asia. They still retained part of the same sound
that was on ASTRA, it was just improved upon, IMO. The band never
broke up (Wetton claims he didn't leave in '91, alluding to his
opinion that Asia split there and then) and Downes was the last man
standing, along with Palmer, for a little bit until he went back to
ELP. Steve was kind enough to come back to the band, although in a
limited role, after Yes's Union tour to contribute some guitar for
parts of AQUA, and even joined them on tour. Carl played on a couple
songs on the album as well, including "The Voice Of Reason," which
also features Howe, even though Howe's only on the first half and
Palmer's on the second half. Steve played on 2 songs ("The Last Time"
and "Free") on AURA and IIRC, Carl played a couple encores with the
band on a couple Italian dates of the Silent Nation tour. In a way, it
would be hypocritical for Carl to call that overall period of Asia a
cover or tribute band. Yes, they played a good bit of OA material
because there was no OA that whole time. Even still, AFJP does play
some OA material because they're actually covering the whole history
of Asia, something the original band refuses to do. I do wish Payne
and Co. would focus more on the material he played on (there's so many
damn good songs!) when performing live with maybe saving "HOTM" and
"OTWT" for the encores. Just my opinion. Also, the revolving door of
musicians is kind of a shame, but remember that during Payne's time in
the band, Asia was basically a project between him and Downes with
other musicians backing them up. ARIA hinted at a stable band line-up,
but unfortunately lasted a couple shows. The only real stable line-up
that Asia had, barring the original, was with Guthrie Govan on guitar
and Chris Slade on drums. They were a very tight unit and covered all
the material very well live. Didn't John P. say something before to
the effect that Steve sent him an email and said that it would be nice
for both Asias to play together?

John Sposato

May 5, 2011, 5:13:27 PM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Here we go again!  Days of Our Asias! (parody of US soap title).  I love old man Palmer but he needs to get off his high horse.
I heard a rumour that QEDG (OAs management, headed by Martin "Davvers" Darvill) are discouraging promoters from booking AFJP and that Davvers et al bother the band all the time.  John & Co. try to make nice.  I don't wanna have to take sides.  I'm gonna see OA tomorrow in a small town, so I know the diehard fans will be there and they know about AFJP.  If AFJP do come remotely close to me, it would have to be at another venue simply not to confuse people.  Its hard for me to explain the difference to those not familiar with the history.  Its like CSI:NY with Mark Harmon and CSI:LA with LL.  Love one or the other, both, or neither.
When I saw OA at a free concert four years ago in Albany, NY underwritten by the city and sponsored by local businesses, the mayor even said it was the "real Asia".  I think he was told to say that by promoters or QEDG.  Maybe now this concert series could have AFJP since OA already chose their Upstate spot for the year.  Otherwise, I have to save up and fly to Connecticut to see AFJP at the Mohegan Sun.

John S.

> I do find it rather arrogant of him to suggest that AFJP was merely
> a tribute band -- totally discrediting over a decade of original music.

Well, he says what he says in a more moderate tone than you've phrased it here, but, yes, it's somewhat damning, particularly when he agreed to be on _Aqua_!

However, it's an accusation AFJP will continue to face while about half their live set is music that none of them originally played on.

Henry

brad roberts

May 5, 2011, 5:09:25 PM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
LOVE IT  YOU HIT IT RIGHT ON THE MARK

> Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 12:22:05 -0700
> Subject: [JPM] Re: Carl Palmer interview
> From: jcrea...@yahoo.com
> To: jpm...@googlegroups.com

brad roberts

May 5, 2011, 4:58:57 PM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
I  FEEL THE SAME

Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 11:45:51 -0400
From: bfou...@wowway.com
To: jpm...@googlegroups.com

Gerardo (Crusader)

May 5, 2011, 4:52:38 PM5/5/11
to John Payne Music
I agree with your comment about the meet n' greets. The guys in AFJP
are very appreciative and do them for free. When I went to the OA show
in Gulfstream Park in 2008 I was told I had to pay over $100 just for
the meet n' greet. Of course I didn't and promised myself I would
never pay one more cent to see these guys live.

Gerardo

On May 5, 11:44 am, tim sutherland <xiana...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "We restricted the  amount of bookings they could take on within three to six
> months of our  dates, to keep it very clean and obvious for the public that this
> is  the original Asia."
> ~
> ...yet I saw both bands within a month of each other. I do find it rather
> arrogant of him to suggest that AFJP was merely a tribute band -- totally
> discrediting over a decade of original music.
> .
> While I did enjoy the "OA" show, I am a genuine AFJP fan. The appreciation the
> guys show towards fans at the meet & greets is obvious, whereas OA won't even
> give you the time of day (well, Geoff will still smile for the camera & squiggle
> his name).
>
> ________________________________

Gerardo (Crusader)

May 5, 2011, 4:43:32 PM5/5/11
to John Payne Music
You are doing exactly the same thing Carl Palmer is doing in his
interview: rewriting history. You cannot compare Trevor Rabin in YES
with John's situation in ASIA, they are different. Rabin only played
in 3 YES albums while JP, before the OA reformation, had played in 5
studio records, more than the original lineup up to that time, plus he
owned the name. JP and Jay Schellen never left the band, it was the
others. Now imagine if Jon Anderson decided to reform the original YES
with Peter Banks, Kaye, Bruford, and somehow persuaded Chris Squire to
leave the current incarnation of YES. To leave Squire will have to
relinquish his rights over the name YES because *he* is leaving the
existing incarnation of the band. Then suddenly Jon Anderson tells the
current YES (Howe, White, Benoit, and whoever they have on keys) "you
are not going to be called YES because you are not the original band,
we are so you need to relnquish the name over to us" What do you think
will happen? This is exactly what's going on here. The original
members of ASIA all left the band and then decided they want the name
back as if it was a toy they can play with any time they want to pick
it up. I commend JP by standing his ground and keeping his ASIA music
alive.

Gerardo

On May 5, 2:22 pm, fco_ne...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I do not think Palmer is arrogant to say that, IMHO and I am sure some will loath it...the real ASIA is Wetton-Downes-Howe-Palmer...yes, John Payne contributed an important era of the band, and love his albums with ASIA. But, for me it is pointless to keep calling his band ASIA (even as the band has the tittle: FJP)..and it is silly that a promo for this band consist in its video (in the the band's promotional video) is 97 per cent OA material like "heat of the moment, soul survival, don't cry..etc)...it is like Trevor Rabin having a band called YES feauturing Trevor Rabin (let us remeber that he leaded Yes through the 80's and the first half of the 90's) and his video promo is 97 per cent of the Yes material from the debut Yes album to Drama..of course he played live with Anderon and company: "roundabout", "I've seen all good peopla", "starship trooper"...but he contributed with a lot of awsome material (like John Payne did !!) to the Yes saga.  I must be sincere, and all what I am saying is only giving my opinion (not hopping to spread animosity)..and my stand is that John Payne has a lot of great songs from his partnership with Downes and he doesn't need to borrow the ASIA name (he is somewhat for this fact limited) and as long as he continue to keep playing more AO songs than AFJP his band is labeled for some fans (included me) as a Tribute Band....Peace and love to all ! PS:  GPS is a good example of how John can make a great work without the ASIA label
> Mensaje enviado desde mi terminal BlackBerry® de Porta

Ken Hudgins

May 5, 2011, 4:30:28 PM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
I read this list all the time but this is something I feel compelled to chime in on. As a life long fan being 10 when the first album came out ASIA is an institution in my life all versions. I think in the end this amounts to opinions from fans on all sides none of which are wrong but heated nonetheless. These men are creative types in all cases and I speak of the 5 (Wetton, Downes, Howe, Palmer and Payne). The situation in ASIA after Silent Nation and start of demoing for Architects was great creatively IMO but financially I think the ship was sinking. Geoff had reunited with a kindred spirit in Wetton and the 'ICON' project and with Wetton being sober the relationship was good again. The thought of bringing together the original 4 for both creative and financial reasons seemed right and it seems they were right. Honestly I thought it would last the reunion tour only because as their history suggested Steve and John would only be able to take each other for so long. Thankfully I was wrong which is all well and good but I was honestly excited by the last Payne led ASIA band with Govan and Slade. That last band to me was when Downes and Payne finally had the right chemistry and legacy to live up to the name of the band.

At the end of the day Geoff made his move right or wrong it is what is. John Payne is a phenomenal talent and worked very hard with Geoff to keep the band alive and vital but was it? Devoted fans scooped up the records if they could find them ARIA I found as an import shortly after its release (paying a pretty penny for it as well) and no consistent tour. Honestly they were mismanaged and poorly marketed from there on out till Geoff left. You can site many examples but I will take Marillion as mine who went through a Lead vox change that was completely different and through some tough times used excellent marketing as well as great music to be successful even charting as an independent artist without a major record label post 95.

As far as what John Payne should do, if he can make music that inspires both him and his fans period. If he continues with the AFJP moniker that's fine by me he deserves that. No matter what its music everyone meant to be heard enjoyed and yes be passionate about. The man also has bills to pay same as you and I so begrudging anyone from using the ASIA moniker especially him is silly. Quite frankly other than Geoff no one flew the flag higher for longer than he did his blood is in that band no matter what the other 3 might think even Wetton.

Sorry to have gone on so long. Best regards to all

Ken

May 5, 2011, 4:24:03 PM5/5/11
to John Payne Music
You are spot on Josh. Not only that, let's not forget Carl Palmer was
the person who sold JP his rights over the name ASIA.

Gerardo

John Sposato

May 5, 2011, 5:49:32 PM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Its absolute madness that one must pay extra for meet and greet.  Didn't have to the last time I saw OA at the casino, bu if I win big before the show starts, maybe I could get a last-minute VIP package if thats allowed.  I think its QEDGs idea to shorten the M&G queues.  I have to catch my ride after the show anyway.  If I took the bus, I would have to leave early 'cos shows can run late.  With the nice weather returning for most of us, there can be more open air shows in broad daylight, which AFJP are willing to do if Barry can get them such a gig.

I agree with your comment about the meet n' greets. The guys in AFJP
are very appreciative and do them for free. When I went to the OA show
in Gulfstream Park in 2008 I was told I had to pay over $100 just for
the meet n' greet. Of course I didn't and promised myself I would
never pay one more cent to see these guys live.

Gerardo

On May 5, 11:44 am, tim sutherland <xiana..@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "We restricted the  amount of bookings they could take on within three to six
> months of our  dates, to keep it very clean and obvious for the public that this
> is  the original Asia."
> ~
> ...yet I saw both bands within a month of each other. I do find it rather

> arrogant of him to suggest that AFJP was merely a tribute band -- totally
> discrediting over a decade of original music.
> .
> While I did enjoy the "OA" show, I am a genuine AFJP fan. The appreciation the
> guys show towards fans at the meet & greets is obvious, whereas OA won't even
> give you the time of day (well, Geoff will still smile for the camera & squiggle
> his name).
>
> ________________________________

Jeff Matheus

May 5, 2011, 7:08:24 PM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com

Bill, AMEN to everything you say. As I've been doing for years, I will continue to support AFJP and really don'r care what OA say or do.

JEFF

________________________________
> Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 09:41:51 -0700
> From: jmedl...@yahoo.com

> Subject: Re: [JPM] Carl Palmer interview
> To: jpm...@googlegroups.com
>

> Bill ~
> That is so true.
> Have a great day !!!
>
> (Jamie) James B. Medley

> [http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/14.gif]

Gerardo (Crusader)

May 5, 2011, 7:04:25 PM5/5/11
to John Payne Music
I've also heard that OA management has made life difficult for AFJP
about bookings. That's why I've also wondered if the main cause of the
delay of AFJP's new album is because OA's management was trying to
prevent it coming out using the name ASIA Featuring John Payne.

Gerardo

On May 5, 5:13 pm, "John Sposato" <spos...@inMail24.com> wrote:
> Here we go again!  Days of Our Asias! (parody of US soap title).  I love old man Palmer but he needs to get off his high horse.
> I heard a rumour that QEDG (OAs management, headed by Martin "Davvers" Darvill) are discouraging promoters from booking AFJP and that Davvers et al bother the band all the time.  John & Co. try to make nice.  I don't wanna have to take sides.  I'm gonna see OA tomorrow in a small town, so I know the diehard fans will be there and they know about AFJP.  If AFJP do come remotely close to me, it would have to be at another venue simply not to confuse people.  Its hard for me to explain the difference to those not familiar with the history.  Its like CSI:NY with Mark Harmon and CSI:LA with LL.  Love one or the other, both, or neither.
> When I saw OA at a free concert four years ago in Albany, NY underwritten by the city and sponsored by local businesses, the mayor even said it was the "real Asia".  I think he was told to say that by promoters or QEDG.  Maybe now this concert series could have AFJP since OA already chose their Upstate spot for the year.  Otherwise, I have to save up and fly to Connecticut to see AFJP at the Mohegan Sun.
>
> John S.

tim sutherland

May 5, 2011, 6:06:01 PM5/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
I agree, many probably wouldn't understand unless they knew the history, but it was cool seeing someone with an AFJP shirt at an OA show, tho!
.
Oh, and it's NCIS, not CSI! ;)

May 6, 2011, 1:41:00 AM5/6/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
I would've hoped for better than that from Palmer. And the touring thing...

We really need the new Asia album. The one John Payne's working on.

John Sposato

May 6, 2011, 10:56:10 AM5/6/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
I'll have to see if anyone does that tonight! It'll be in a small town, so you never know!  I wouldn't buy either, even if they fit 'cos I don't advertise.  I'm not CBS Outdoor!

Actually, that is a pretty good idea. Maybe I will see OA and wear proudly my AFJP shirt!

brad roberts

May 6, 2011, 10:00:17 AM5/6/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
SO TRUE ,  YES  CAN'T WAIT FOR IT

Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 05:41:00 +0000
From: sean...@email.com
To: jpm...@googlegroups.com

I would've hoped for better than that from Palmer. And the touring thing...

We really need the new Asia album. The one John Payne's working on.

brad roberts

May 6, 2011, 9:58:00 AM5/6/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Was  glad i ware  mine a few years  back  at  the  OA      long beach  show,  got many looks  and i was very PROUD  to have my AFJP SHIRT ON

Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 08:47:44 -0400
From: bfou...@wowway.com
To: jpm...@googlegroups.com

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

May 9, 2011, 4:13:10 PM5/9/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
New live dates for Central Washington state and San Diego area. We are working on more dates around the US.

ASIA Featuring John Payne LIVE
July 23, 2011, 8pm at the Ramona Mainstage, in Ramona, CA
(just north of San Diego)

More info: http://www.ramonamainstage.com

Direct link to buy tickets online: http://www.readyticket.net/webticket/webticket2.asp?WCI=BuyTicket&WCE=ASIA,072320111900,1,73753,,0

===

ASIA Featuring John Payne LIVE
August 27, 2011 - Free Show at 8pm
Part of the Moses Lake Concert Series
Centennial Amphitheater, McCosh Park, Moses Lake, WA
(central Washington state)

More info: http://www.facebook.com/MosesLakeEvents

===

As always, you can follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ASIA.featuring.John.Payne)
or check our list of confirmed live dates on our website at: http://www.theASIAband.com/tour-dates/

Gerardo (Crusader)

May 10, 2011, 4:01:36 PM5/10/11
to John Payne Music
Do these dates have Carl Palmer's blessing? LOL, just kidding,
couldn't resist ;-)

Gerardo

On May 9, 4:13 pm, Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL <e...@devgel.com> wrote:
> New live dates for Central Washington state and San Diego area. We are working on more dates around the US.
>
> ASIA Featuring John Payne LIVE
> July 23, 2011, 8pm at the Ramona Mainstage, in Ramona, CA
> (just north of San Diego)
>
> More info:http://www.ramonamainstage.com
>
> Direct link to buy tickets online:  http://www.readyticket.net/webticket/webticket2.asp?WCI=BuyTicket&WCE...

Claudio Momberg

May 10, 2011, 6:02:26 PM5/10/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure some italian dates on the Silent Nation tour did ;-)

Claudio Momberg
(iPhone)

bfou...@wowway.com

May 10, 2011, 5:55:28 PM5/10/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Good one!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

May 11, 2011, 4:37:40 PM5/11/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
John and Erik give you their take on an ASIA classic-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpJSjRvkQ_I

Henry Potts

May 12, 2011, 9:37:38 AM5/12/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
John sings on the debut solo album from Oliver Wakeman Band guitarist David Mark Pearce, due this summer: http://www.davidmarkpearce.com/fr_strangeang3lsreleaseannouncement.cfm

Jeff Matheus

May 12, 2011, 10:16:43 AM5/12/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, I've been hearing about this on Facebook. I'd like to pick up the CD when it's available.

JEFF

________________________________
> Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 14:37:38 +0100
> From: bonde...@yahoo.co.uk
> Subject: [JPM] John Payne with David Mark Pearce
> To: jpm...@googlegroups.com

> John sings on the debut solo album from Oliver Wakeman Band guitarist
> David Mark Pearce, due this summer:
> http://www.davidmarkpearce.com/fr_strangeang3lsreleaseannouncement.cfm

serg...@aol.com

May 12, 2011, 3:41:09 PM5/12/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Pearce appeared on Lisa LaRue's Project 2K9 CD "World Class" which John
was involved with as well. Lisa is the keyboardist on David Mark
Pearce's debut album, "Strange Ang3ls" and is joined on one track by
special guest Oliver Wakeman. John sings 3 tracks on this album.

By the way, if you haven't checked out "Fast and Blue," (Lisa LaRue
2KX) John not only provides the vocals, some bass, assisted with
arrangements and mixed, mastered and co-produced the album, but also
appears in much of the studio footage and interviews on the full length
DVD that is also available.

Sandy Serge
Serge Entertainment Group
http://www.sergeentertainmentgroup.com

Which track is it though I can get it on emusic?  We need something new from JP to tide us over.

Yeah, I've been hearing about this on Facebook. I'd like to pick up the
CD when it's available.

JEFF

________________________________
> Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 14:37:38 +0100
> From: bonde...@yahoo.co.uk
> Subject: [JPM] John Payne with David Mark Pearce
> To: jpm...@googlegroups.com
>
> John sings on the debut solo album from Oliver Wakeman Band guitarist
> David Mark Pearce, due this summer:
> http://www.davidmarkpearce.com/fr_strangeang3lsreleaseannouncement.cfm

Serg...@aol.com

May 12, 2011, 6:47:03 PM5/12/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
If you need something new from John Payne, why not order the Fast and Blue CD by Lisa LaRue? It should be on digital download providers across the net through Nightmare Records. For physical copies, you can also order through http://www.lisalaruemusic.com. John is on many of those tracks.

Jeri Unselt

May 12, 2011, 10:35:33 PM5/12/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Hey John,

On Fast and Blue, John sings on Mystery of the Rose, Jam Jehan Nima, Fast and Blue, Recurring Dream and recites a poem on Lament of the Cherokee.  He plays bass on Recurring Dream.  He did a great job mixing and mastering, and is all over the DVD and magazine.  It's enough to tide us over until "Americana!"

Jeri

John Sposato

May 13, 2011, 6:48:38 PM5/13/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
As soon as its on my favourite site, then I'll order.  I wouldn't be able to get it until next month anyway.  It'll do for now.  I know JP and Lisa have known each other for almost two decades and this is at least the second time they joined forces in the studio  I'm sure the tracks will be great!  "Save Me" from her last album was just the beginning.

John S.

elizabeth rolfe

May 15, 2011, 6:44:12 AM5/15/11
to John Payne
Hello Erik,

Thanks for the update.

I understand the situation.

The album release date it's more important, seeing them live would just be the icing on the cake!

Take care.

Kindest regards.

Liz.

John Sposato

May 15, 2011, 12:05:41 PM5/15/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
I second that!  I hope to hear more news soon.  We have to be the most patient fans in rock!

John

Henry Potts

May 18, 2011, 12:25:05 PM5/18/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com

Bill Foucher

May 18, 2011, 2:04:45 PM5/18/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Can this be true? If so, I am looking very forward to it!

----- Henry Potts <bonde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Forthcoming GPS live CD/DVD:
>
> http://gonzomultimedia.blogspot.com/2011/05/gps-dvdcd-padckage-on-way.html

Jeff Matheus

May 18, 2011, 1:36:20 PM5/18/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great. What I need to know though is if these concerts were properly & professionally recorded, mixed & filmed., If they were, this will be awesome and I won't miss it! But if they are audience-recorded bootlegs like the CD series Asia did, it could be rather disappointing.

JEFF

> Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 17:25:05 +0100
> From: bonde...@yahoo.co.uk
> Subject: [JPM] Live GPS release
> To: jpm...@googlegroups.com

Jamie Medley

May 18, 2011, 1:28:52 PM5/18/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Very nice.....

(Jamie) James B. Medley

May 18, 2011, 7:45:26 PM5/18/11
to John Payne Music
Jeff, I think they were profesionally recorded. I remember reading
somewhere when they did the Japanese dates with the full band that
they were going to record this show professionally. For the acoustic
show, I've seen some of the videos on the web and the video looks like
a pro recording, so maybe its soundtrack will sound good as well.

On May 18, 1:36 pm, Jeff Matheus <jeffmath...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds great. What I need to know though is if these concerts were properly & professionally recorded, mixed & filmed., If they were, this will be awesome and I won't miss it! But if they are audience-recorded bootlegs like the CD series Asia did, it could be rather disappointing.
>
> JEFF
>

> > Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 17:25:05 +0100
> > From: bondege...@yahoo.co.uk
> > Subject: [JPM] Live GPS release
> > To: jpm...@googlegroups.com
>
> > Forthcoming GPS live CD/DVD:
>
> >http://gonzomultimedia.blogspot.com/2011/05/gps-dvdcd-padckage-on-way...

Jeff Matheus

May 18, 2011, 8:47:09 PM5/18/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Excellent! That's what I wanted to hear.

JEFF

> Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 16:45:26 -0700
> Subject: [JPM] Re: Live GPS release
> From: bur...@ymail.com
> To: jpm...@googlegroups.com

Erik Nielsen || DEVGEL

May 19, 2011, 5:03:30 PM5/19/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com, Henry Potts
From John Payne's Management-

We can confirm there is an upcoming DVD/CD release by GPS-Live in Japan by Gonzo Multimedia. It will have footage to include acoustic with Guthrie & John, and the full GPS band. We are still working on putting this package together. Because it is early in the process we cannot reveal any more details until finalized. Stay tuned!

-Erik, web guy

John Sposato

May 19, 2011, 7:03:24 PM5/19/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Since or if its not finished yet, maybe you could add the bonus tracks from the studio releases Japanese edition since its hard to find.
Maybe when the new AFJP studio and live albums as well as the next JP comp are out of the way, perhaps the follow to WTTS could be started? So much to do!

John S.

We can confirm there is an upcoming DVD/CD release by GPS-Live in Japan by Gonzo Multimedia. It will have footage to include acoustic with Guthrie & John, and the full GPS band. We are still working on putting this package together. Because it is early in the process we cannot reveal any more details until finalised. Stay tuned!