Classic Rock Magazine March 2001 ASIA interview

Gerardo (Crusader)

Jun 2, 2011, 10:38:04 AM6/2/11
to John Payne Music
Hi all,

A fan on the AFJP facebook dicussions section posted this link of the
controversial Classic Rock magazine ASIA interview published March
2001. I'm posting it here for those who have not read it:
http://www.daveling.co.uk/docasia.htm

Gerardo

Wally

Jun 3, 2011, 10:04:59 PM6/3/11
to John Payne Music
Thanks for posting that interview, Gerardo! It was an interesting
read.

Wally

John Sposato

Jun 2, 2011, 12:33:06 PM6/2/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Wish I could find this audio interview and Vh1 interview with Messrs Payne and Downes from around this time.

A fan on the AFJP facebook dicussions section posted this link of the
controversial Classic Rock magazine ASIA interview published March
2001. I'm posting it here for those who have not read it:
http://www.daveling.co.uk/docasia.htm

Gerardo

NEW Zoner Photo Studio Free - is a free program for every step in the process
of managing, editing, and sharing pictures. --- freephotostudio.com

Gerardo (Crusader)

Jun 4, 2011, 2:03:10 PM6/4/11
to John Payne Music
You're welcome Wally!

Gerardo
> > Gerardo- Hide quoted text -

Claudio Momberg

Jun 5, 2011, 12:40:44 AM6/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link Gerardo!
I was revisiting an interview with JW shortly after the start of the OA reunion in 2006, and something got my attention:

"What do you think of the Asia material that has been released over the years after you left the band?
JW: I've never listened to it, so I have no opinion. I heard a song from their first album, and I thought it was good, but…. By the way, I didn't leave the band.

I don't recall Any other moment where JW has said anything good about the AFJP years.

Cheers

Claudio

John Sposato

Jun 4, 2011, 6:42:20 PM6/4/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
If I didn't know better, this sounds like it came out of the Daily Mirror or The Sun, not Classic Rock Magazine!  Think what an update would look like.  You know what I mean

> Thanks for posting that interview, Gerardo! It was an interesting
> read.
>
> Wally
>
> On Jun 2, 10:38 am, "Gerardo (Crusader)" <burg...@ymail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
>
> > A fan on the AFJP facebook dicussions section posted this link of the
> > controversial Classic Rock magazine ASIA interview published March
> > 2001. I'm posting it here for those who have not read it:http://www.daveling.co.uk/docasia.htm
>
> > Gerardo- Hide quoted text -

Gerardo (Crusader)

Jun 5, 2011, 10:31:42 AM6/5/11
to John Payne Music
Claudio

There's also the Progression magazine Winter 1997 issue interview with
John Wetton:

'Reflecting on ASIA's first album (AQUA) following the departures of
himself, Palmer and Howe, Wetton says it was by no means a bad
recording.
JW: "But I didn't know why it was called ASIA"...It certainly didn't
follow in any tradition of ASIA. There is only one guy left and it's a
bit sad, I think."

It's very interesting how Wetton says AQUA wasn't a bad recording in
the Progression interview and, in the interview quote you posted he
says "he never listened, so I have no opinion" of the John Payne
albums. I wonder, if this is really true, how can he form an opinion
or have a judgement of the validity of the music of the JP-era ASIA?
Considering what Geoff Downes said in Dave Gallant's book about "not
letting the others impoverish his work with ASIA" when the aborted
1999 quasi-reunion happened, I also wonder, how does GD feel *now*
playing with JW, who doesn't recognize the albums he recorded with JP
which, at the end of the day, it was his music and it was called ASIA.

Gerardo

On Jun 5, 12:40 am, Claudio Momberg <sonoacust...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the link Gerardo!
> I was revisiting an interview with JW shortly after the start of the OA
> reunion in 2006, and something got my attention:
>
> "*What do you think of the Asia material that has been released over the
> years **after you left the band?*
> JW:* I've never listened to it, so I have no opinion. I heard a song from
> their first album, and I thought it was good, but…. By the way, I didn't
> leave the band.*
>
> I don't recall Any other moment where JW has said anything good about the
> AFJP years.
>
> Cheers
>
> Claudio

Gerardo (Crusader)

Jun 5, 2011, 10:40:56 AM6/5/11
to John Payne Music
That is Classic Rock Magazine's style in general terms. Most of the
time they publish articles which deals with the internal controversies
of a band and/or artist, you know, sex, drugs, internal fighting,
infidelities, etc. It's what sells their magazine. Many times it has
little to do with the music. Still, it is the best rock magazine out
there, imho.

Gerardo

On Jun 4, 6:42 pm, "John Sposato" <spos...@inMail24.com> wrote:
> If I didn't know better, this sounds like it came out of the Daily Mirror or The Sun, not Classic Rock Magazine!  Think what an update would look like.  You know what I mean.

bfou...@wowway.com

Jun 5, 2011, 12:19:25 PM6/5/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
Maybe this is my "inside voice" talking out loud, but I can't help but wonder how much of what JW has said in the past were the words of an angry drunk. I've read other "angry" interviews from him as well before. Too much negativity for me...

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Jun 7, 2011, 6:20:54 PM6/7/11
to jpm...@googlegroups.com
GREAT POINT