jPlayer 2.8

Mark Panaghiston

Nov 13, 2014, 8:44:22 AM11/13/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
jPlayer 2.8.0 has been released on http://jplayer.org/

Download the latest version here:
http://jplayer.org/download/

All downloads are now in the jPlayer GitHub repo, where we made a major refactor so that everything was included and so that you could download/clone the repo and bingo, it works. There is also a build process, so anyone with node.js installed can fork, make a change and then build their own min files and even change the ActionScript and compile the new SWF easily and rebuilt the lot with a "grunt" command.

Please remember to STAR the jPlayer GitHub repo. You can watch us too if you choose, but that is your choice. A star is a favourite, while watching will give you all my (and others) ramblings over issues and such.

The release notes for the changes from the previous release are here:
http://jplayer.org/latest/release-notes/

Upgrading is seamless. Simply add the new jquery.jplayer.min.js and jquery.jplayer.swf files to your site. (Delete the old Jplayer.swf)

New features:
  • New: The Pink Flag and Blue Monday skins are now for ARIA - single players are good, the playlist "list" ARIA still needs some attention.
  • Fix: The Android Chrome bug.
  • Fix: Added the noVolume stateClass
  • Renamed the SWF, but that should be a non-issue.
  • See release notes for more details.
The jPlayer GitHub repo has had a v2.8 branch created.

jPlayer is now on NPM for the benefit of node.js users:

Note that, the official jQuery plugins website is now obsolete and they recommend the NPM route. So this next link is obsolete and no longer maintained by jQuery.
This thread continues on from the previous development log for jPlayer 2.7.0, found here:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jplayer/-i-Hb9gs8aM/discussion

The development log of jPlayer 2.8.x will continue in this thread.

Please start a new thread for support requests. That way you will not be offended when I ignore and delete your post from this thread.

Mark Panaghiston

Nov 13, 2014, 10:33:09 AM11/13/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Pushed changed to branch [v2.8] and merged into [master] and [dev]:
 - Fixed the Firefox focus highlighting.

Yes, Firefox has and extra CSS3 rule that you need to disable. By default, Firefox does not obey the usual way of focus and auto blurs any click, so normally you would not notice this.

Remember that this change does not even register as a patch number, since the versions relate to the jPlayer JavaScript and ActionScript, not the CSS we provide as a skin template. This is where installing git and cloning the repo is a benefit.... You'd just "git pull" and you're done.

To see changes to the project, view the commit history. The [master] branch commit history is:

...And you'll see the commit today on Nov 13, 2014... Click on the title of the commit and you get to see the difference between the old and the new CSS files.

Just a few pointers for those of you that may not be as comfortable with git as you might be.

Mark Panaghiston

Nov 13, 2014, 2:28:30 PM11/13/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
I've noticed a minor issue with the version labelling inside the minified files. They say jPlayer 2.7.1 because in the final few steps I forgot to rebuilt the JavaScript after changing the package.json file, which contains the master version number. So the .min.js is 2.8.0, but it says 2.7.1.

This will be fixed shortly. I have plans to accept Pull Requests and fix some bugs. I knew 2.8.0 would be short lived and it was really so I could pull together my recent efforts to improve the repo and ARIA.

Top bug:
1) The Chrome full-screen bug. There is a PR for this... Which has to check the mouse actually moved. Shocking that Chrome cannot fix their own bugs, and this is about the 4th Chrome or Android specific bug fix in a row. Now we have a CLA in place this will be pulled in once accepted... Otherwise, I'll just write my own code as real mousemove is when mousex!==oldMousex (and yaxis) is easy enough. I will no longer assume that Chrome will fix any of their bugs within an acceptable time-frame.

My current attention is reviewing this:
2) The title of audio in a playlist is not showing in the iOS control center... This bug is mine, and i am still looking into it. All the other players work, and only the audio playlist fails to add the title of the track to the <audio> element. The hunt goes on.

Mark Panaghiston

Nov 13, 2014, 3:34:36 PM11/13/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
jPlayer 2.8.1 is out.

  • [2.8.1] Skin Fix: Added the CSS3 rule to disable the default Firefox focus highlighting. Fixed both the Blue Monday and Pink Flag skins.
  • [2.8.1] Bug Fix: Fixed the media title being displayed in iOS Control Center when there is no GUI title element.

The jPlayer website is now 2.8.1 and the NPM package has been published.

Pau Garcia i Quiles

Nov 13, 2014, 3:37:48 PM11/13/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Congratulations, thank you and: what about subtitles? are they coming any time soon? :-)

Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

Mark Panaghiston

Nov 13, 2014, 4:40:44 PM11/13/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
> Congratulations, thank you and: what about subtitles? are they coming any time soon? :-)

The VTT support is in jPlayer core, but browser support was not there last time I checked... It was patchy and I would have to add in a polyfill for it, which I have accepted is the way forward with that. Plus I never added GUI elements for the caption control buttons due to lack of vtt support. The controls would be more complex than anything else we have, but we will see on that. Maybe the polyfill already does that bit.

The bit in the docs is at the bottom of the setMedia docs:

Due to my commitments, I do not think I'll be able to add in the VTT polyfill and the controls in the next month or so... My current primary drive is accessibility and bug fixes. In th new year I hope to look into the VTT polyfill. There is already a reputable OS project for it... I forget its name.

NITRO

Nov 14, 2014, 3:21:44 PM11/14/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Could you recheck that the flash file is OK?
It isn't included in the jPlayer-2.8.0/jPlayer-2.8.1.zip, and even if i rename the old Jplayer.swf to jquery.jplayer.swf i keep getting the e_flash error when i click at volume buttons(mute,unmute,max).
(yes,i have setted the swfPath correctly)

Mark Panaghiston

Nov 14, 2014, 7:09:22 PM11/14/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
The built mini files are in the folder /js/jplayer/

They are on the github repo here:

I suspect that you are looking at the source files in the /src/javascript/ folder. The SWF is not included there, since it is the output from the flex compiler. The ActionScript is in the source /src/actionscript/ folder, and this is used to compile the SWF saved to the /js/jplayer/ folder.

DEEJAY BOZIAH

May 12, 2020, 11:38:25 PM5/12/20
to jPlayer: HTML5 Audio & Video for jQuery
I am unable to get my jplayer buttton from working. Can you help me?