Running Jplayer from an SSL website, but the audio files are non-SSL. Audio files do not play.

Steve Wehr

Jul 4, 2020, 12:50:49 PM7/4/20
to jPlayer: HTML5 Audio & Video for jQuery
run a music aggregation website, HVmusic.com, where I use Jplayer to play MP3 files that users add to their listings. About a year ago I changed my site to run SSL (https) and now I find that any MP3 files that are hosted on non-SSL websites cannot be played by jPlayer.

Here is an example of the Jplayer code...

<script type="text/javascript">
$(document).ready(function(){        // Player instance
        $("#jplayer_1").jPlayer({
        ready: function () {
                $(this).jPlayer("setMedia", {
                        mp3: "http://somesite.com/mp3/Somefile.mp3"
                });
        },
    play: function() { // To avoid multiple jPlayers playing together.
        $(this).jPlayer("pauseOthers");
    },
        cssSelectorAncestor: "#jp_container_1",
        swfPath: "/common/licensed/jplayer",
        supplied: "mp3",
        useStateClassSkin: true
      });        // Player instance
        });
</script>

Any MP3 file hosted on non-SSL sites will not play.

Is that just the way it is? I didn't think these files were considered "part of the SSL page" but instead "links" (like anchor tags), and links from an SSL page can be to non-SSL pages.

Thanks for your help.

James Graham

Jul 4, 2020, 7:15:03 PM7/4/20
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
 SSL is blocking the returned data from the request as the data is not trusted.
Work around is to secure the data or move the code. A tunnel between the servers on a selected port. Or mounting the insecure physical drive as a local drive on the secure server. Are possible workarounds if you have the admin

Sent from my iPhone