JPhotoTagger XMP sidecar analysis by Phil Harvey

Polarbeer

Feb 17, 2012, 1:13:08 PM2/17/12
to JPhotoTagger Users English
Hi,

As I have planned to start catalog my media files with JPhotoTagger -
I thought it would be wise to "cross-check" how well other programs
can read XMP sidecar file of JPhotoTagger.

Instead of installing trials of other DAM solutions I posted a sample
XMP data created by latest JPhotoTagger (0.17.1) on ExifTool forum. (I
have once before asked help on that forum about metadata created by
DigiKam, and ExifTool author Phil Harvey was then able to spot some
issues that I reported to DigiKam developers.)

Here is my thread related to JPhotoTagger:

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php/topic,3938.0.html

Phil Harvey has already posted an answer, that you might be interested
to read. Relating to Phil's answer, if JPhotoTagger starts to support
true hierarchical MWG keywords in the future, can current non-
hierachical keywords stored in XMP sidecars be easily updated/
converted to hierarchical keywords by future versions of JPhotoTagger?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of before actually
starting to catalog my media files with JPhotoTagger? This English
User Group hasn't collected much attention yet, and I personally can't
read German User Group or German manual.

Latest version (0.17.1) of JPhotoTagger has worked nicely so far, but
I haven't really had time to test it extensively. How many files have
you been able to manage with JPhotoTagger effectively? I have read
user complaints on many commercial DAM package user forums, that their
products are choking, when certain file numbers are reached. Some
programs suggest you shouldn't add too many files at once to keep your
computer responsive. I don't however know, how common these problems
really are...

How about JPhotoTagger's performance when managing tens of thousands
of files? I.e. are forthcoming versions of JPhotoTagger more of
feature update releases or do they focus on enhancing performance?
Just curious to get the big picture here. =)

-pb

PS. I just noticed Elmar has uploaded a new 0.18.0 version of
JPhotoTagger. =)

Elmar Baumann

Feb 18, 2012, 6:18:41 PM2/18/12
to jphototagger-...@googlegroups.com, Polarbeer
Hello,

the MWG keywords are defined in an usable way. Two problems, why
JPhotoTagger will not having (soon) support for them:

1. This will lead to a *lot* of work: Extending XMP storage, keeping
flat keywords and hierarchical keyword synchronized, e.g. adding
keyword + parents to the "flat" keywords, re-implement
highlighting within the existing keyword trees, appling tree
endings to the sidecar files, enhance the search (finding all
parents recoginizing that the same keyword name - a homonym -
can have different parents etc.)
2. My time is limited

The JPhotoTagger keywords tree can be used for the MWG feature, but in
it's current implementation it is only an input support, it does not
reflect a hierarchical relationship.

Regards,
Elmar

--