Two installations of JPT on different computers using the same HDD?

Polarbeer

Mar 29, 2013, 6:09:21 PM3/29/13
to jphototagger-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elmar!

Now that our household has two computers - desktop computer (Win 7) and a laptop (win 7) - I would like to know answer to the following question.

All my image and video files are stored on the desktop's hard disk drive (hdd). I run JPT on the desktop computer to manage the metadata of these media files.

Now I have managed to share the hdd (through our WLAN modem) of my desktop computer, so that my laptop "can see" the media files on that hdd too.

Can I now install JPT on our laptop too and start to manage metadata also with that? Ie. I would have JPT installed on desktop and laptop computers and they would both write metadata into the same sidecars files on desktop's hdd. Both JPT installations would have their own databases --> Ie. laptop-JPT's database would exist on laptop's HDD and desktop-JPT's database would exist on desktop's HDD.

Any problems that I should be aware of if start to use JPT on my laptop too?

I would just like to be able to manage my media files despite which computer I happen to use. (Of course I have to have desktop computer turned on, if I want to edit metadata of its files.)

Cheers!

-pb

Elmar Baumann

Mar 30, 2013, 11:51:11 AM3/30/13
to jphototagger-...@googlegroups.com, Polarbeer
Hi Polarbeer,

as long as multiple computers don't change the metadata of the same
image file at the same time, this is no problem. JPhotoTagger
installations on other computers having their separate own database but
do read the metadata of the sidecar files, so keywords etc. will be the
same on all computers reading the same files, e.g. via network.

JPhotoTagger - a Java application - is not aware of network drives, but
you can connect to a network through a drive letter or Junction. You can
change the metadata on the PC or the notebook: It will be written into
the sidecar files seen by all other computers. If JPhotoTagger on the
other computer does read the folder with changed metadata (XMP files)
and it will update it's (separate) database automatically.

Regards,
Elmar
--
http://www.elmar-baumann.de/fotografie/

Polarbeer

Mar 31, 2013, 1:42:41 AM3/31/13
to jphototagger-...@googlegroups.com, Polarbeer
Thanks for your reply Elmar!

Sounds great. I just have to try to install JPT on my laptop too and see how it works. My computers are "connected" through Windows "homegroup". I don't understand much about networks, homegrous, WLAN, routers etc. I just have to give it a try. =)

-pb

Polarbeer

Mar 31, 2013, 1:59:29 PM3/31/13

On Saturday, March 30, 2013 5:51:11 PM UTC+2, Elmar wrote:

JPhotoTagger - a Java application - is not aware of network drives, but
you can connect to a network through a drive letter or Junction.

Okay, I installed JPT on my laptop, but it doesn't see the files on my desktop computer's HDD. I have shared the files on my desktop computer and other applications (like FastStone Image Viewer installed on my laptop) can view them without problems. But when I open JPT and choose "Folder" tab in left pane of JPT, it shows only C-drive of my laptop - no homegroup folders on desktop computer available at all. =(

How can I  connect to a network "through a drive letter or Junction"??? Is this something that is simple to achieve in Win 7? Do I have install any additional software, tweak some settings in Windows etc? If anyone can help with this I would like to hear your advice. I need step-by-step instructions on how to make files shared via Windows' homegroup available also in JPT.

-pb

Polarbeer

Mar 31, 2013, 2:58:35 PM3/31/13

On Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:59:29 PM UTC+3, Polarbeer wrote:

How can I  connect to a network "through a drive letter or Junction"??? Is this something that is simple to achieve in Win 7? Do I have install any additional software, tweak some settings in Windows etc? If anyone can help with this I would like to hear your advice. I need step-by-step instructions on how to make files shared via Windows' homegroup available also in JPT.

Okay I was able to map letter "Z" to a homegroup shared folder containing my media files. This was done easily in Windows Explorer by clicking with the second mouse button on the network folder you want to map.

Now JPT can see the contents of the folder mapped to a letter!

-pb

Elmar Baumann

Mar 31, 2013, 4:34:29 PM3/31/13
Am 31.03.2013 20:58, schrieb Polarbeer:
> Okay I was able to map letter "Z" to a homegroup shared folder
> containing my media files. This was done easily in *Windows Explorer* by
> clicking with the second mouse button on the network folder you want to map.

Hi Polarbeer,

fine. You should ensure, that this drive letter will be used always for
that shared folder. "Z" is a good idea, because e.g. via USB connected
hard drives or memory cards getting automatically drive letters from
"D:" and obove ascending.

Polarbeer

Mar 31, 2013, 5:14:27 PM3/31/13
to jphototagger-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elmar!

One problem now that's disturbing me, when I'm trying to use "laptop version" of JPT:
- Thumbnail view doesn't show star rating on top of thumbnails. Ie. those small yellow stars, that have a number inside of them (telling how many stars I have given), don't get displayed in the top corner of thumbnails. They work fine on my desktop computer but not on my laptop. Laptop version of JPT shows the star data okay on the EDIT tab in the right pane, but doesn't overlay this information as yellow stars over thumbnails!

Any ideas that might be causing this? Maybe there is a setting for this, but I haven't found it yet...

-pb

Elmar Baumann

Apr 1, 2013, 11:27:46 AM4/1/13
to jphototagger-...@googlegroups.com, Polarbeer
Hi Polarbeer,

did you set via menu "View > Overlay metadata"?

Polarbeer

Apr 1, 2013, 2:37:51 PM4/1/13
maanantai, 1. huhtikuuta 2013 18.27.46 UTC+3 Elmar kirjoitti:
Hi Polarbeer,

did you set via menu "View > Overlay metadata"?

Regards,
Elmar
Okay this did the trick. I was blind as usual. =)

By the way, for what kind of use is the option "View --> Display Flag: Sidecar file exists" ? Just curious to know.

-pb

Elmar Baumann

Apr 1, 2013, 3:07:39 PM4/1/13
01.04.2013 20:37, Polarbeer wrote:
> By the way, for what kind of use is the option "View --> Display Flag:
> Sidecar file exists" ?

Hi Polarbeer,

this displays a small square to indicate, that an image file has a XMP
sidecare file too, e.g. for "tee.jpg" a file "tree.xmp" does exist,
which may contain metadata. See image below "Graues Quadrat":
http://www.jphototagger.org/manual/de/thumbnail_flags.html