Problems to get thumbnails work for RW2 images and MTS videos!

Polarbeer

Feb 9, 2012, 3:44:57 PM2/9/12
to JPhotoTagger Users English
Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 (64 bit) Home Premium. I would like to see
thumbnails for my media files when using JPhotoTagger (shortened JPT
from now on). I'm shooting with Panasonic GH2 camera that creates RAW
images with RW2 extension and AVCHD videos with MTS extension. A
little free utility, which I use to simply copy images and videos from
SDHC-card to my hard drive, changes MTS extension to M2TS. Windows 7
Media Player plays them both nicely - no matter which one the
extension is (mts/m2ts).

My problem is, that JPT doesn't create thumbnails for m2ts/mts or rw2
files, although I have added all three formats in "User Defined File
Types". For JPG and my older Canon CR2 images thumbnails were created
right from the start without any additional software installations.

I have tried to install ImageMagick, DCRaw and MPlaeyer which were
told by Elmar to be needed for thumbnails to work. Here is more
detailed description where/how I have installed each of them.

IMAGEMAGICK:
I have installed ImageMagick from here:
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php#windows

and the exact version I installed is: ImageMagick-6.7.5-3-Q16-windows-
x64-dll.exe

DCRAW:
I don't exactly know what version and how Dcraw should be installed. I
have installed latest stable Raw Therapee (RT) 3.0.1 for 64 bit
Windows, but I couldn't find dcraw.exe from RT's installation
directory on my hard drive. (I read somewhere that dcraw would be
installed with RT.)

But by using Windows Explorer's search function I was able to find 2
different dcraw.exe files from my C-drive. They were located under
"ImageMagick" and "Zoner Photo 13 FREE" installation directories.
First I chose "Zoner version" of dcraw.exe in
Edit -->
Settings -->
Thumnails tab -->
How to create thumbnails? --> Create thumbnails with own external
program -->
Choose --> Script: Dcraw + ImageMagick -->
In the "Choose Dcraw and convert -dialog I have used buttons to tell
JPT the paths to Dcraw, ImageMagick and MPlaeyer executables.
(Later I tried to by choosing "ImageMagick version" of dcraw.exe)

MPLAYER:
I downloaded and installed MPlayer from here
http://mulder.bplaced.net/

After installing these three apps and pointing their paths for JPT in
Settings (Create thumbnails with...), JPT seemed to create
automatically this path into "External image creation application"
-area at the bottom of Settings dialog:

"C:\Users\Antti\.de.elmar_baumann\ImageMetaDataViewer\pluginsettings
\image_magick_dcraw_mplayer.bat" "%s" %i

This "image_magick_dcraw_mplayer.bat" -file really exists in the above
folder. Should that bat-file be edited somehow? Tutorial on
JPhotoTagger.org says following:

- Use this File as template, add executable privileges
- Fix paths

Are these steps that I haven't done? How are executable privileges
added into a file?

Thanks for your time and help! I would just like to get my thumbnails
work for rw2 and mts files too!

-pb

(PS. I'm not computer programmer like most of you probably, so please
give clear and detailed step-by-step instructions if possible!)

Elmar Baumann

Feb 9, 2012, 5:13:14 PM2/9/12
to jphototagger-...@googlegroups.com, Polarbeer
On 09.02.2012 21:44, Polarbeer wrote:
> - Use this File as template, add executable privileges
> - Fix paths

Hi,

if created whithin JPhotoTagger, the paths have not to be edited, they
should point to the correct locations. You can open the batch file with
an editor, e.g. notepad.exe, and verify that. Only if the installation
location of one of that programs will change in future, the paths have
to match the new locations: Either repeat the steps as described obove
within JPhotoTagger or change the paths whithin the batch file opend by
an editor, e.g. notepad.exe.

> How are executable privileges added into a file?

That is not necessary under Windows but under Unix systems and only if
you create the file by yourself, the file created by JPhotoTagger should
have set the executable flag.

> I would just like to get my thumbnails work for rw2 and mts files too!

1. If not done, register the file type:
Window > User Defined File Types: New
Check "User defined script creates thumbnails"
2. Select a folder with files of that type
3. In the thumbnail window select a file of that type
4. Open the context menu with right click
5. Choose "Refresh > Thumbnail"

If an error occurs, in the bottom of the program window an error icon
appears. After a click onto that, the error logfile will be displayed. A
developer can help checking these 2 files located in your home directory
- Windows 7 usually "C:\Users\you", Unix systems: "/home/you", folder
".de.elmar_baumann/ImageMetaDataViewer/":

* jphototagger-log-all.txt
* jphototagger-log-errors.xml

Hint: To test a script, you can execute it on the command line, under
Windows "Start > cmd.exe". Whithin the command window (DOS Box), the
quotes '"' are necessary because the paths may contain spaces:

"<path_to_script>" "<path_to_an_image>" 150 > thumbnail.jpg

That should create a thumbnail with a maximum length of 150 pixels. The
benefit of a command window is, that you can see the complete output-
The JPhotoTagger logfile contains the error messages only if the
programs are logging it onto standard error. If you don't redirect the
output to a file ("> filename")

"<path_to_script>" "<path_to_an_image>" 150

some additional output maybe seen; if the script creates a thumbnail,
the command window contains "crappy" ("binary") characters.

Regards,
Elmar

--
http://www.elmar-baumann.de/fotografie/

Polarbeer

Feb 10, 2012, 1:38:32 AM2/10/12
On 10 helmi, 00:13, Elmar Baumann <e...@elmar-baumann.de> wrote:

> 1. If not done, register the file type:
>    Window > User Defined File Types: New
>    Check "User defined script creates thumbnails"

Big thanks for your help and time once again Elmar! I hadn't noticed
to check "User defined script creates thumbnails". This seemed to fix
the problem and after very short test thumbnails seem to work. Super
great Friday morning! =)

-pb

James

Jan 23, 2013, 6:07:09 PM1/23/13
to jphototagger-...@googlegroups.com
Step by step I got everything work in JPT for my non-image files. Wonderful!
Only remaining issue is, that for some file formats there are no previews generated.
This are: bmp, flv, mkv, ts and ttf.
BMP image files are important for me. About the others I do not care so much, because they are quite special.
I installed dcraw, imagemagick and mplayer and this works for most video formats very well.

Another topic:
A small bug with Java happens when you install JPT and the Java software is not located in the default (expected?) directory.
When you have modified the Java installation path it is also required to modify the file "JPhotoTagger.bat" in the installation directory of JPT.
Here you have to add the complete path before javaw: "start c:\PATH\javaw -jar -Xms30m -Xmx1g -Duser.language=en "C:\soft\media\JPhotoTagger\JPhotoTagger.jar"

Regards, James

James

Jan 23, 2013, 6:40:04 PM1/23/13
to jphototagger-...@googlegroups.com
If you add for TrueTypeFont preview generation the following line:
"C:\soft\graphic\ImageMagick\convert.exe" %IMAGE% -antialias -thumbnail %MAX_DIM%x%MAX_DIM% jpg:-
in the file(s) "image_magick_dcraw_mplayer.bat" or "image_magick_dcraw.bat" the TTF previews are generated.
Of course some other IF, GOTO, ... commands in the batch file have to be adjusted.
So easy. I am impressed by JPT.

Regards, James

James

Jan 23, 2013, 6:43:30 PM1/23/13
to jphototagger-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, with just the following line
if /I "%THUMB_SUFFIX%" ==".ttf" GOTO OTHER
if /I "%THUMB_SUFFIX%" ==".bmp" GOTO OTHER
it is even more easy. The BMP problem is also solved with this!

Regards, James

James

Jan 24, 2013, 1:03:13 AM1/24/13
to jphototagger-...@googlegroups.com
I tried to add user defined file extension DVR-MS (Microsoft Digital Video Recording).
However this is not possible, because the dash "-" is not allowed from JPT as character for file extensions.
Any workaround existing?

Regards, James

P.S.: It is a pitty, that modifiying postings on google forum is not possible.

Elmar Baumann

Jan 24, 2013, 3:37:15 PM1/24/13
to jphototagger-...@googlegroups.com
Am 24.01.2013 00:07, James wrote:
handled later in this thread

> Another topic:
> A small bug with Java happens when you install JPT and the Java software
> is not located in the default (expected?) directory.
> When you have modified the Java installation path it is also required to
> modify the file "JPhotoTagger.bat" in the installation directory of JPT.
> Here you have to add the complete path before javaw: "start
> c:\PATH\javaw -jar -Xms30m -Xmx1g -Duser.language=en
> "C:\soft\media\JPhotoTagger\JPhotoTagger.jar"

Hi James,

JPhotoTagger relies on a proper Java installation, which copies
javaw.exe into %windir%\system32 (always in %PATH%). javaw.exe reads the
Java installation path from the registry.

I think, it's not a good idea, to use the path of a java installation
directory, to run Java. This directroy may be only valid at installation
time. Every Java installation may change it and then every program using
the old path, will not work anymore. Better install Java again and type
"java" at the command line, where the current directory is
%USERPROFILE%, to test, whether it will run.

If you have some special conditions, copy the batch file, which starts
JPhotoTagger, edit it for your needs and use this, because every
installation will overwrite it.

Elmar Baumann

Jan 24, 2013, 3:40:24 PM1/24/13
Am 24.01.2013 00:43, schrieb James:
> if /I "%THUMB_SUFFIX%" ==".ttf" GOTO OTHER
> if /I "%THUMB_SUFFIX%" ==".bmp" GOTO OTHER

thanks James. The script templates now containing these suffixes.

Elmar Baumann

Jan 24, 2013, 3:42:06 PM1/24/13
Am 24.01.2013 07:03, schrieb James:
> I tried to add user defined file extension DVR-MS (Microsoft Digital
> Video Recording).
> However this is not possible, because the dash "-" is not allowed from
> JPT as character for file extensions.
> Any workaround existing?

Hi James,

Version 0.30.6 allows dots and dashes.