Re: Advanced Java Code Camp--What is the Real Date???

Sang Shin

Feb 16, 2017, 12:39:13 PM2/16/17
to Kerckhof, Steven, jpassion_ad...@googlegroups.com, jpassi...@googlegroups.com

On 2/16/2017 5:49 AM, Kerckhof, Steven wrote:

Sang,

One thing I wanted to request for the code camp this Saturday.

I have seen examples of the usage of lambda’s with stream API in some of our code, but it is almost exclusively used with collections.

I would be very interested in gaining an understanding of the where/when to use lambda’s and functional programming as all I have seen are its usage to reduce lines of code with operations on collections.

(Posted to the class aliases.)

It is certainly more than "reducing lines of code". :-)
I would suggest to watch the following YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__dDAD0Y_WU

-Sang

Thanks.

Feb 16, 2017, 1:33:07 PM2/16/17

On 2/16/2017 12:38 PM, Sang Shin wrote:

On 2/16/2017 5:49 AM, Kerckhof, Steven wrote:

Sang,

One thing I wanted to request for the code camp this Saturday.

I have seen examples of the usage of lambda’s with stream API in some of our code, but it is almost exclusively used with collections.

By the way, you can use Lambda expression any place where function
is used.  An obvious example that is not using collections are where
we were using anonymous inner classes such as Runnable or ActionListener.

-S