10/11: Potluck & Worship / 10/25: Young Adult Open House / Other Quaker Happenings

Judy Goldberger

Oct 6, 2009, 10:34:11 AM10/6/09
to JP Quakers

"True waiting is true being. True action arises from the nature of true being. When Moses encountered God at the burning bush, he simply responded, 'Here I am.' Through that encounter, he was sent to liberate the children of Israel from Egyptian slavery. It was a thought that would not have occurred to Moses, a fugitive from Pharaoh. 'Who am I,' queried Moses, to to go Pharaoh and liberate the Israelites? 'I will be with you,' responded the 'I am'."
             -- Doug Gwyn, 2009
Monthly Community Potluck

The next community potluck and meeting for worship of Jamaica Plain Quakers  is this coming Sunday, October 11th.  Potluck supper is at 5 p.m., followed by Quaker meeting for worship at 6 p.m. For an introduction to Quaker Meeting for Worship, click here. Feel free to bring a friend! The trailer has microwaves but no conventional oven, so if you bring a potluck dish that needs reheating, please make sure it's in a microwave-safe container.

On Sunday, October 25th, from 5-7 p.m. we will hold an open house for Friends and seekers ages 18-35. Join us for dinner, conversation, and worship on our experiments opening sacred ground in our circle and on the streets. Do let us know if you are joining us. We are not very good at getting loaves and fishes to multiply.

Other Quaker Happenings

Explore Quaker Faith and Life: The Quaker Studies Program offers low-cost courses and workshops in the greater Boston area.

On Monday, October 12, from 7-9 p.m. at the Beacon Hill Friends House, Greg Williams and Mary Hopkins will share stories of immigrant reality today and lead us in a consideration of our response in, What Should Columbus Day Mean to Quakers?
Freewill donations support the Quaker Studies Program.

On Saturday, October 17th at Wellesley Friends Meeting, Becky Phipps will lead,
From Convincement to Community: Being and Becoming Friends. What is your story? the Quaker story? Why do you, with your particular narrative, want to be included in the particular narrative of the Religious Society of Friends? What is the central role of the Quaker meeting in your convince­ment, in being and becoming a Friend? What does it mean to integrate your narrative, with its integrity, with the Quaker narrative, with its integrity? If you are pondering these questions, join Friends for this workshop!

For a full course listing, and to register, visit  the Quaker Studies Program homepage.

JP Quaker Basics

In our unfolding experiment, we are now on Facebook! If you are already a Facebook member, check us out.

JP Quakers meet on the second and fourth Sundays of every month in the trailer that houses the First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain at 633 Centre Street at Myrtle Street, across from the post office in JP Center. The trailer and bathroom are wheelchair accessible. Our following scheduled meetings are Sunday, November 8th (for potluck and worship) and Sunday, November 22nd. In the meantime,

May you be richly blessed!
Judy Goldberger
jpquakers [at] bhfm.org

"Look among the nations and see; wonder and be astounded. For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told." (Habakkuk 1:5)