6/14: Potluck & Worship / 6/28: Summer Freedom School

Judy Goldberger

Jun 3, 2009, 6:43:31 PM6/3/09
to JP Quakers
"I have been asked many times
to take leaps I did not feel ready to do.
But when I've done that I've been held
and I have been an agent for God
in ways I never could have been
if I didn't trust and take that leap."
-- Jean-Marie P. Barch, 1998

Come walk with us as Jamaica Plain Quakers travel from spirit into action, working over the Summer with teenagers and young adults in our community. Our next three fourth Sundays will be turned over to a Freedom School, seeking to make a contribution to end urban violence and offer a positive nonviolent urban Quaker model. We are building a team of folks committed to developing an ongoing project with deep roots in the community. Come join us.

We began this walk together learning from other peacebuilders, such as Getry Avizah from Lubao, Kenya, who uses the Alternatives to Violence curriculum and the Healing and Rebuilding our Communities program to help her fellow Kenyans reconcile after violence in order to build a true lasting peace. As we embark on our next phase, we will begin to use what we have learned to host a Freedom School on Fourth Sundays June 28, July 26, and August 23, from 5 - 7 pm. We will open the summer with a vigil for peace. Watch your mailbox for an upcoming announcement.

Our monthly community potluck and meeting for worship will of course continue as well. Our next meeting is Sunday, June 14.  Potluck supper is at 5 p.m., followed by Quaker meeting for worship at 6 p.m. The trailer has microwaves but no conventional oven, so if you bring a potluck dish that needs reheating, please make sure it's in a microwave-safe container. Come join us!

Jamaica Plain Quakers meets in the trailer that houses the First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain at 633 Centre Street at Myrtle Street, across from the post office in JP Center. The trailer and bathroom are wheelchair accessible. If you can't make this meeting but would like to come in the future, we meet on the second and fourth Sundays of every month, so our next scheduled meetings are Sunday, July 12th and 26th, 2009.

Blessings of peace and hope,
Judy

"Look among the nations and see; wonder and be astounded. For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told." (Habakkuk 1:5