July 2009 JP Freedom School & Peace Vigil

1 view

Judy Goldberger

Jul 13, 2009, 9:14:39 PM7/13/09
to JP Quakers
Dear friends,

Please join us for our monthly Freedom School and vigil to bring nonviolence to the streets. Feel free to forward the announcement below. If you can join us for outreach leafleting on Mondays, or you would like a PDF flyer to print and post, please e-mail me or Greg.

Judy Goldberger
quake...@gmail.com
857-719-4057

Greg Williams
gcw...@yahoo.com
617-501-6258

Jamaica Plain 2009 Freedom School

There is no place for violence in our community.

Too often we read or watch stories about violence and death. We moan and groan about youth of color going to jail.

Fifty years ago youth were also going to jail! They were sitting in at lunch counters, walking out of “separate but equal” schools that were very unequal. High school students led the way in opening up eating establishments. They were not shooting or stabbing one another, they were engaged in a struggle for JUSTICE.

Today, that struggle is ongoing. There are Justice struggles in Jamaica Plain, across Boston, and across this nation that cry out for our attention.  We need to respect ourselves and our neighbors, respect our positive heritage as people of color, and repeat our positive history.

We need to remember … We need to learn our history!

Freedom School
July 25 - The Impact of Weapons on our Streets
August 23 - Our Relationship to Nonviolence
Fourth Sundays @ 633 Centre St, Jamaica Plain • 5 pm – 7 pm

Vigil
July 28 7 pm – 8 pm • Next to JP Licks
Love must overcome anger and disrespect.

Jamaica Plain Quakers • http://groups.google.com/group/jp-quakers/web/events-2
contact: jpqu...@bhfm.org617 501-5258 (Greg) or 857-719-4057 (Judy)