Still alive?

Hypfvieh

Feb 9, 2012, 7:19:20 AM2/9/12
to jOpenRay
Hi there,

it has been a while since someone posted in this group or an update
was released for jopenray.

I just wanted to ask if the project is still alive?

I'm looking for an alternative software for SRSS. Currently I have a
solaris installation to use the original sunray software (because I
dont get it to work on linux), but I also had to switch to kiosk-mode
and utilize Xephyr to get an newer X and newer gnome with newer
software and so on.

Sadly the very old X from solaris (and so Xephyr is old too), is not
capable of displaying kde4 or gnome3 in an useful way. It crashes or
it uses a very ugly fallback mode which isnt usable at all.

As I dont have any java skills, I would like to know if there is any
implementation (done or planned) for XDMCP?
Or is there another "alternative" software which provides that?

Is there any way to launch a local programm an redirect that one to
the sunray?
This way I could use the newer Xephyr and stuff from the server where
jopenray is running to do the same as I do now with SRSS.

btw. I tested jopenray with sunray 3plus hardware. It is working
generally, but not for my setup ;)

thanks in advance for any help.

Guillaume Maillard

Feb 9, 2012, 4:32:57 PM2/9/12
to jope...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

jOpenRay only works for VNC and RFB remote display,
there is no support for X related things.

Sunray 3 were reported to work well with jOpenRay,
having no SunRay3, we simply can't know what's wrong with your setup.
Thanks to Oracle way of driving their Sunray related business,
we are not able to get one Sunray 3,
and we have no support from Oracle.

IMHO Sunray is now a dead platform. Maybe we will strike back with a thin client based on a 25$ raspberry :)

Regards,
Guillaume

Hypfvieh

Feb 10, 2012, 2:24:52 AM2/10/12
to jOpenRay
Hi,

first of all thanks for your answer.
Too bad that you dont support X-related things.

I already tried to use RFB but when I select it from the dropdown, a
message box tells me that RFB is not supported in this version.
Afaik I have the newest version (downloaded from jopenray.org).
Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

regards,
David