[joomla-wg-production] Mootools and the future

Ian MacLennan

May 3, 2010, 11:49:19 AM5/3/10
to Aaron Newton, darren....@gmail.com, joomla-wg-...@googlegroups.com, Ian MacLennan
Hey guys,

So, I was speaking today with Darren Waddell from Mootools.  I think we need to discuss some things in regards to this, and particularly w.r.t. Mootools 1.3.

So, as you are aware, we currently have Mootools 1.1 in J! 1.5 and we have Mootools 1.2 in trunk.  We have current plans to release one more version of J! 1.5 which would include an upgrade to Mootools 1.2 along with a backwards compatibility layer.  As far as I know, feedback from the upgrade plugin has been mostly positive.  There have been some small issues that are mostly related to an incomplete implementation of More in the upgrade plugin (which I need to fix).

Now, in the meantime, Mootools 1.3 just went beta.  The changes in this release are relatively minor, with the biggest enhancement from what I understand being the new selector engine which is supposed to be quite a bit better.  The Mootools guys are promising 100% compatibility with all of the documented/public methods/properties of Mootools 1.2.

Now, with Merge freeze on Wednesday, it will obviously not be possible to get Mootools 1.3 GA in before that (since it won't exist yet).  But I think we need to think really hard about including this upgrade in our 1.6 release so that we don't get behind again.  In talking to Darren, their beta has been really strong.  As a result, they hope to have a stable our relatively soon (I've copied Aaron and Darren here so they can comment as to exactly what the expectation can be with that).

So, I want to propose that instead of releasing 1.5.18 w/Mootools 1.2, we instead release 1.5.18 w/Mootools 1.3.  I want to set a target date for that release around the end June.  That leaves the Mootools guys about two months to go from Beta to Stable.  I plan to create a new Mootools branch based on current 1.5 release SVN which will contain everything as we plan to release it.  I'll put together a new upgrade plugin with the 1.3 beta in it and hopefully get everything synced up to 1.3.  I'm told we can still run the compatibility layer and have the same 1.1 compatibility that we would have otherwise had.

I'm not sure how we handle 1.6 w.r.t. the merge freeze.  Is it reasonable to put the Mootools 1.3 beta release into trunk and then ship with stable when it is ready?  Or should we leave it in a branch and preserve that as an exceptional situation where we merge a branch after merge freeze?  Or do we hold off on 1.3 and wait for 1.7?

Anyway, I wanted to raise this for discussion and propose that we find a way to get 1.3 into 1.6 before final release.

Ian

P.S. I have also emailed this to Aaron and Darren.  If you can please ensure that you reply all so that they get a copy of responses, that would be appreciated.  They don't have write access to this list, so if they can perhaps just reply to me and I'll forward that to the list as well, that would be appreciated.

Ian MacLennan

May 3, 2010, 3:08:41 PM5/3/10
to joomla-wg-...@googlegroups.com

May 4, 2010, 6:52:01 AM5/4/10
to joomla-wg-...@googlegroups.com, Aaron Newton, darren....@gmail.com, Ian MacLennan
It sounds to me like we definitely want 1.2 for J! 1.5 and probably want to stay with 1.2 for J! 1.6. For 1.6, we could revisit when we are ready for RC1 perhaps. Does that make sense to others? Mark

Andrew Eddie

May 4, 2010, 7:05:18 AM5/4/10
to joomla-wg-...@googlegroups.com, Aaron Newton, darren....@gmail.com, Ian MacLennan
For Joomla 1.5 I would say we ship with MT1.1/1.2 and leave it there.

For Joomla 1.6 I would say push MT1.3 into the trunk now.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

JM Simonet

May 4, 2010, 7:58:39 AM5/4/10
to joomla-wg-...@googlegroups.com
+1 IF tests are done fast on MT1.3 in a branch for 1.6
--
>Please keep the Subject wording in your answers
This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. You must not
disclose or use the information contained in this e-mail if you are
not the
intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf768
Joomla Leadership Team - Production Working group
Joomla! Translation Coordination Team

Christophe Demko

May 4, 2010, 11:29:50 AM5/4/10
to joomla-wg-...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Andrew +1

Louis Landry

May 4, 2010, 11:59:44 AM5/4/10
to joomla-wg-...@googlegroups.com
I'm with Andrew as well.  We can absolutely work with the MT guys to make sure any issues that arise with our behaviors get resolved during the beta phase.

- Louis
--
Development Coordinator
Joomla! ... because open source matters.

Mark Dexter

May 4, 2010, 12:43:42 PM5/4/10
to joomla-wg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi. That works for me. Mark