SSL on *.joomla.org

udjamaflip

May 28, 2011, 4:34:38 PM5/28/11
to joomla-wg...@googlegroups.com
I have recently been provided access to the community.joomla.org admin panel and was surprised to learn that not only is there no SSL, but there isn't on any of the websites.

I am raising this as I believe it should be something that is mandatory on all administration sections, and a nicety to provide on the frontend. A wildcard SSL certificate is £79.99 P/A from 123-reg (I'm sure shopping around would discover cheaper/better options).

I've also been informed that hosting is powered by cpanel which means the setup of such a certificate is very simple, and then only needs to be setup to be used in the admin panels as optional on the frontend and mandatory on the admin.

I know this may not be a priority, but for how cheap a certificate is to cover the entire Joomla project and how simple and quick it is to setup the benefits hugely outweigh the cost in time/money.
If there is no budget to purchase the SSL certificate then we can quite easily use a self-signed certificate on all the administration areas which is free.
WebRep
Overall rating

Matt Lipscomb

May 28, 2011, 5:23:21 PM5/28/11
to joomla-wg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy...

Thanks for brining this up.  I agree that having an SSL for the j.org sites would be a good idea - especially as we rollout the enhanced directory listings.

@Brad:  What do you think?

@Paul:  Can we get a quick approval to purchase a wild-card SSL for *.joomla.org (estimate $200 or $180 if we purchase for multiple years at a time) if Brad agrees it'd be a good idea?

~Matt

Matt Lipscomb

Jun 6, 2011, 12:55:43 PM6/6/11
to joomla-wg...@googlegroups.com
Quick update:  This has been approved by CLT.  Awaiting OSM to approve funds.
~Matt

Matt Lipscomb

Jun 7, 2011, 7:09:46 PM6/7/11
to joomla-wg...@googlegroups.com
SSL is added for j.org, JED & JRD currently have it deployed.  (Thanks everyone & especially Brad!)

We will be modifying some of the login forms shortly.

Thanks again for the recommendation, Andy!

~Matt