Re: [Joomla-Leadership-Group] VOTING: Code of Conduct Revision

Robert Deutz

Jul 20, 2015, 5:41:17 AM7/20/15
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
@Dianne, thank for your advice on my voting behavior, hardly possible to explain with words how thankful I am.

Quoting Ruth (emphasis made by me):
If the Leadership Teams feel that any or all of those documents need to go through a separate approval process then by all means I'll send three separate vote requests in addition to this one.  Please let me know if that is the route people would prefer us to take.

That's quite the opposite what you are saying.

I suggest to start this voting process from scratch with clear conditions.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Javier Gomez <javier...@community.joomla.org> wrote:
+1

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 9:57 PM, OSM Joe Sonne <joe....@opensourcematters.org> wrote:
+1 to adopt the Revised Joomla Code of Conduct

Joe Sonne
Open Source Matters, Inc.
Board Member | Capital Committee Chair | OSM Liaison to Marketing Working Group

On Jul 16, 2015, at 4:42 PM, Alice Grevet <alice....@community.joomla.org> wrote:

+1 to adopt the Revised Joomla Code of Conduct, with the understanding that the other documents linked at the beginning of this email thread are supporting documents and are not being voted on separately.

Best regards,
Alice

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 4:17 AM, Ruth Cheesley <ruth.c...@community.joomla.org> wrote:
OK to answer some of the points that have been raised:

  • The Leadership Team would only be involved in the CRT process if a sanction is being proposed.

    We discussed several different options which included having the CRT decide and impose sanctions without involving the leadership.

    Based on the experience of other projects and the fact that this is a new process, it was decided that when a sanction is being proposed it should be (at least until these processes are tried and tested) discussed and accepted by the Leadership Team by a majority vote, having heard the recommendations from the CRT.

    The way this has worked for example in the KDE community is that the whole board discussed and implemented any sanctions for the first few years, and then they devolved that responsibility entirely to the working group (equivalent of our CRT) at a later date, who now manage the process internally and report to the board monthly with any sanctions that have been imposed or lifted that month.

    I hope that explains why we chose to adopt this route in the initial stages of rolling out a new process where there hasn't been one before.

    If the Leadership Teams feel that the CRT should be able to make those sanctions without the consultation and voting of the rest of the Leadership at this early stage then absolutely, that can be discussed as part of the CRT's operating procedures, but this should not hold up the voting on the new Code of Conduct.  Please post comments/thoughts on the operating procedures document - request access if you need it.

  • The reason we are asking for a vote from the Leadership Teams is to officially update the Code of Conduct with the one we have proposed.  This is the process we were asked to follow at Cancun in the LT summit (to open for feedback then prepare a proposal to be voted by the Leadership Teams).

  • The Conflict of Interest policy has been updated to include leadership team members, whereas in the past it was only used for OSM board members.

    The current document is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wK8DIojOiZGLLVNTYlgxDbKaF-sVyeHP74lVvO1uD4s/edit?usp=sharing

  • Thank you for the suggestions Tessa, at this point we've already been through four weeks of leadership and community feedback so this is the version we were proposing for adoption.

    I'm not sure that as we've already requested the voting to start, that we can now make substantial changes to the document without re-starting the process again.

    I've incorporated the grammatical issues you raised and pointed you at the forum where some of the other issues you raise have already been discussed.

  • Martijn, we updated the Code of Conduct but in doing so it was suggested we create a one-page document and operating procedures for the conflict resolution team (which we had originally included in the Code of Conduct itself).

    It was also identified that there is currently no Conflict of Interest policy in use for the leadership in general, only OSM.

    If there are any issues with a specific document then people could raise those issues, and/or give a +1/-1 for each of the documents if there are any issues with specific documents.

    If the Leadership Teams feel that any or all of those documents need to go through a separate approval process then by all means I'll send three separate vote requests in addition to this one.  Please let me know if that is the route people would prefer us to take.

I hope that answers some of the questions, thank you for taking the time to review this in detail and voice the issues that have been raised.

Kind regards,

Ruth Cheesley

On 15 July 2015 at 23:09, Ruth Cheesley <ruth.c...@community.joomla.org> wrote:
Dear Leadership Team Members,

The members of the CLT Code of Conduct team have been working on the revision project, and we have invited feedback from yourselves and from the wider community over the past months.

We received a good amount of feedback, and we hereby propose the following for adoption by vote:

Revised Joomla! Code of Conduct: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12L3604QBuM_vSgud8vsbEHJhbI-mHz26QCanUB_R4jU/edit?usp=sharing

One-page version: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xReAYAWgQC2mdfAGmy2k13-iBCc175ViXS9oYTkvja8/edit?usp=sharing

There are two documents referenced from the Code of Conduct - feedback suggested these should be separate documents and not a part of the actual Code of Conduct:

Conflict Resolution Team Operating Procedures: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16Avdx_ioQhH2zjJoPRl3Ac8pbpa_3nYE2XBo_yknRlU/edit?usp=sharing

Joomla! Conflict of Interest Policy: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vvwZmcnomWr5kAR2SPqDzprLnsdpUJsvPWkPN9X8jOk/edit?usp=sharing

Voting procedure
Valid votes contain one of the following options:

  • +1 (in favor of the motion)
  • -1 (against the motion)
  • Abstain or blank vote (reply to the email thread with the word “Abstain”)

Please make sure to use the terms provided above in order to cast a valid vote. Anything else will cause your vote to be considered a non valid vote.

The voting basis:
To have a quorum, a majority of the current 28 members in leadership need to cast a valid vote.

To adopt the motion, the votes in favor need to be 50% + 1 of the votes casted, ignoring the blank votes.

Voting will take place by responding to this email thread with your vote.

Voting Leadership members are:

CLT:
Guillermo Bravo
Peter Bui
Ruth Cheesley
Alice Grevet
David Jardin
Dianne Henning
Sander Potjer

PLT:
Roland Dalmulder
Chris Davenport
Robert Deutz
Marco Dings
Jessica Dunbar
Javier Gomez
Thomas Hunziker
Tom Hutchison
Tessa Mero
Viktor Vogel
George Wilson

OSM:
Martijn Boomsma
Ronni Christiansen
Victor Drover
Jorge Lopez-Bachiller Fernandez
Rod Martin
Ryan Ozimek
Saurabh Shah
Joe Sonne
Marijke Stuivenberg
Sarah Watz

Proxies
If, for any reason, a member is unable to vote within the given time frame, he or she can authorize another person to cast the vote by proxy.

Timeline

Voting on revised Code of Conduct 15-29th July 2015
Publication of revised Code of Conduct 30th July 2015

Please cast your votes accordingly.

Kind regards,

Ruth Cheesley
On behalf of the Code of Conduct Team
--
Ruth Cheesley
Joomla! Community Leadership Team

--
Ruth Cheesley
Joomla! Community Leadership Team

Co Lead Editor, Joomla Community Magazine
http://magazine.joomla.org
Joomla Community Leadership Team