Maintaining Our Sites

George Wilson

Dec 14, 2015, 12:46:44 PM12/14/15
to Joomla Leadership Team
Dear All,
As you know today 3.4.6 had to be rushed out today. However after about 3 hours Michael ended up updating more than half a dozen of our sites. Obviously this isn't something that he should be doing - it's down to us on leadership to have some kind of policy on this.

Whilst I understand that people have a job it means having more than 1 person responsible for updating websites and ensuring that they are spread between timezones to make sure that every time there is a release (even in exceptional scenario's like today) there is someone available to do the upgrade across all our sites.

Please can we ensure this is achieved by publicly posting here what each team plans to do to make this happen (it's not a secret policy that needs to happen behind closed doors).

Kind Regards,
George

Ronni Christiansen

Dec 16, 2015, 2:18:58 AM12/16/15
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we can ask Victor for a Joomla account in watchfull and add all the sites there to make it easy?

George Wilson

Dec 16, 2015, 3:45:38 AM12/16/15
to Joomla Leadership Team
I'm not against doing something like that. But we should at least do our own evaluation of watchful watchful vs. myjoomla because otherwise people will scream COI with victor still being on OSM :)

Ronni Christiansen

Dec 16, 2015, 3:50:27 AM12/16/15
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
as watchful is not gaining on it i am not sure there is any COI to scream ;)

so lets keep it low practical if possible - alternatively we need to go for the full monty and do a RFP for it to allow for all to submit proposals - not sure its worth the time for something like this.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 9:45 AM, George Wilson <george...@community.joomla.org> wrote:
I'm not against doing something like that. But we should at least do our own evaluation of watchful watchful vs. myjoomla because otherwise people will scream COI with victor still being on OSM :)

Robert Deutz

Dec 16, 2015, 4:06:01 AM12/16/15
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Whatever tool you use someone needs to press a button and take care

Robert

Victor Drover

Dec 16, 2015, 11:33:46 AM12/16/15
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
You should go RFP route, and include server maintenance and such so downtimes are automatically addressed. Site updates are one piece.

Warm Regards,

Victor Drover
Treasurer, Open Source Matters
Kick-ass Reimbursement Processor
262-309-4140
@VicDrover

Robert Deutz

Dec 16, 2015, 1:20:58 PM12/16/15
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
I am forwarding this on Michaels request, was send to me and George

******
One of you please post this as a response on the mailing list.

Is the need for a contract to have someone ensure the sites stay up-to-date and outages reported to hosting really necessary?  If I can update a half dozen installs myself in 10-15 minutes, it should be no issue for all of the sites to be updated rather quickly assuming there is someone online and credentialed to do the task.  It really is not that difficult to accomplish this task.  On every CMS install there should be at a minimum 2 or 3 users with enough access to update the CMS and its extensions and those should be monitored regularly.  Those admins should be part of an overall webmasters team that is all communicating with one another.  When a release is prepared, that team is notified and if need be given the packages to update the sites.  If it takes more than a half hour to update all of the joomla.org installations, then someone screwed up royally.

Let me just point out that there already is such a team (https://volunteers.joomla.org/working-groups/webmasters-team) and the people on it have said admin credentials to almost all of the domains or have a way to get into them (credentials in the password vault).

Don't complicate matters.  Seriously.  All this thread is proving is exactly what several have been saying for some time now; there are far too many Joomla installations on the .org infrastructure and regular maintenance is becoming more of an issue because of the number of installs plus a lack of cross-communication.