Update on fixing our trademark policy

Ryan Ozimek

Oct 25, 2011, 3:38:47 PM10/25/11
to Joomla Leadership
Hi everyone,

At the end of August 2011, I reported to the leadership team about the
state of our project's trademark policy and processes (http://bit.ly/
toS622). Since then, OSM has had numerous discussions with regards to
the project's trademark. One thing that became clear is that before
we can successfully tackle the challenge of our processes, we needed
to create a more effective trademark policy.

Our main focus and goal of this process is to make it easier for
Joomla! fans, user groups, and event organizers to utilize the
project's brand to increase awareness and support of the project. I
believe we need to find as many ways as possible to encourage
community members to spread the word of Joomla far and wide.

There are an infinite number of ways to execute a task like this, but
we've decided a "keep it simple, keep it in plain English" approach is
the right way to start. With this in mind, we've begun a process that
will enable the Trademark Team, OSM Board, Leadership Team, and the
entire Joomla community to contribute their ideas to the future
trademark policy for the project.

Here's the schedule I've put together for this process. It's not
written in stone, and we have the ability to alter it if we find we
need more time, but at least it's a good set of milestones to start
moving forward. All of this starts with a simple, short document in
plain English that outlines a new trademark policy.

OSM Board and Trademark Team Input
October 17 - October 28, 2011

Leadership Team Input
October 29 - November 11, 2011

Community Input
November 12 - November 25, 2011

Evaluate Input, Create Final Draft for Community Input
November 26, 2011 - December 10, 2011

OSM Board Vote for Ratification of New Trademark Policy
December 17, 2011

So, I'd like to ask a few questions for our fellow leadership team
members:

1) Does this timeline sound reasonable to you?
2) Do you have any concerns with the order of operations?

I'm happy to take suggestions, change things up, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts, and thanks for your support of OSM and the
Trademark Team as we move forward in this effort to update our
trademark policy. It's not easy, but I think we all agree that it's a
challenge we need to tackle.

Cheers,
Ryan

Javier Gomez

Oct 29, 2011, 8:13:41 AM10/29/11
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
It seams reasonamble timeline for me ^_^

Javier Gomez
OpenSourceMatters
Part of the Joomla! Project
Providing a flexible platform for digital publishing and collaboration

Ryan Ozimek

Oct 30, 2011, 3:14:05 AM10/30/11
to Joomla Leadership
Hi everyone,

I'll continue moving forward with the timeline outlined earlier.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any thoughts on the
timeline or order of operations.

Cheers,
Ryan