Options for getting money into the projects budget

Robert Deutz

Nov 10, 2015, 4:58:51 AM11/10/15
to Joomla Leadership Team
Hi all :-)

We had the discussion about advertising in the backend, I will not go into details why this is a bad idea form my point of view. I will try to make some other suggestions to get some money in and I will do this in a transparent way with starting it here in the public leadership list.

Ads are not bad in general but showing it only in the backend to admins might not have the audience we can reach. Asking for money isn’t bad either.

Here is what we can do:

1) We develop a module (unpublished by default) that site owners can show on there website with a connection to an ad-server under our control. We can offer some specific channels so that a site owner can chose what type of advertising he/she will show. The money we make goes directly into the projects budget. There can also be a google-ads channel.

2) Every 30 days we ask site owners for supporting the project. A message in the backend will ask:
* if he/she will place an ad (if not already done) or
* to send some money to the project. Maybe some buttons with 10,20,50,100 (or whatever makes sense, depending on country??)

Details can be and should be discussed but that is the basic idea. Technically it isn’t a big deal, some hours of developing and testing. We would need a group of people helping with the booking of ads and doing the admin work but I don’t think this will be a problem. I think we need that group anyway to optimise the placement of ads on our own sites.

I think doing it that way is more the Joomla! way, we are asking for support and we give options to support us. All is free nothing a must.

Cheers,
Robert

Ronni Christiansen

Nov 10, 2015, 5:31:18 AM11/10/15
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the constructive ideas :)

At the Capital team meeting held at the JWC15 we talked about also taking in alot of the posted ideas from the Google Groups debates and form a idea pool to continue working with.

Its some good ideas from you too - the 2nd one would be a "Wikipedia modul".

I think at this point we have seen atleast 8-10 other models from the community from membership based over massive changes to the JED and into different advertising ideas.

In the coming weeks i hope we can collect and describe them and end up with some solid ideas and concepts to continue working with :)