ACL tutorial

Webdongle

Feb 3, 2014, 6:01:30 AM2/3/14
to jooml...@googlegroups.com

Tom Hutchison

Feb 4, 2014, 7:15:29 PM2/4/14
to joomla-docs
Hi Webdongle

Another article was made for 3.x because all the images need to be updated to reflect Joomla 3's administration interface.

I can't think of anything offhand that would be different between 2.5 and 3.x except the interface look. I'll go ahead and move all the 2.5 information over and then tag it, images need updating.

If you have time and can do the image updates that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tom

---
Tom Hutchison
Joomla! Production Leadership

Webdongle

Feb 4, 2014, 7:59:09 PM2/4/14
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom

If
You move everything from http://docs.joomla.org/J2.5:Access_Control_List_Tutorial to http://docs.joomla.org/J3.2:Access_Control_List_Tutorial (images as well)
And
Edit the text
Then
I will look at the images and create them as necessary ... I can email them to you because it would take me ages to work out how to add them to the wiki with names that fit your system.

Does that help ?

Tom Hutchison

Feb 5, 2014, 7:09:00 PM2/5/14
to joomla-docs
Hi Webdongle

Answers in-line...

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM, Webdongle <in...@weblinksonline.co.uk> wrote:

Done

And
Edit the text

I have made a few edits so far, it needs to be edited some more. The original was a what is new in 2.5 and how does it compare to 1.5.

Not sure it needs to stay along those lines or should be just a matter-of-fact, do this, that and here is why and how. We could always link back to 2.5 if someone is coming up from 1.5 to 3.x. Thoughts?

Then
I will look at the images and create them as necessary ... I can email them to you because it would take me ages to work out how to add them to the wiki with names that fit your system.

It is easy to upload, not so easy to come up with a file name. I will start another thread for this subject. It is long past time to deal with the naming conventions. They are a bit complicated and make my head spin too.

Does that help ?

Yes! Thanks.

Tom

Webdongle

Feb 5, 2014, 7:58:15 PM2/5/14
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
OK will have a go at the images tomorrow ... my bed time now.

Webdongle

Feb 7, 2014, 7:25:07 AM2/7/14
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom

Sorry for the delay ... I had a few techniques to learn in Gimp(Like adding a script to create an arrow).  Got it sussed now and will have the images done today(all things being equal).

Webdongle

Feb 7, 2014, 11:29:50 AM2/7/14
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom

Did 2 of the images ... if you are happy with them then I can finish the others the same way.  Problem is that upload image file has max width of 670 ... not sure why ... and the screnshots for 3.x are wider so it means squeezing the image a little.  But methinks it is reasonable.

Tom Hutchison

Feb 7, 2014, 12:21:16 PM2/7/14
to joomla-docs
Hi Webdongle

Thanks for uploading the new images!

Looks like you got the hang of it. The 670px limitation is for Help Screen images only, and that statement is now out of date. Well, kind of out of date. Mark is using selenium to generate the images automatically and I am bulk uploading them with a script. The short of it, we can update all the main Help screen images in a few hours, not months!

Common sense should be the rule of thumb. An image of 2000px x 2500px is unnecessary. It actually might fail if you try to force a resize. Imagick uses a lot of memory to resize images. The docs template automatically re-sizes the images anyway with a width="100%" height="auto". 900 or 1000px of width should be just fine.

I see you figured out how to upload a newer version of the image. Just make it the size that looks the best and you can omit the  |670px from the image call in the article.

I am working on a how to upload help, the guidelines page to image naming, etc. right now.

Thanks again
Tom

----
Tom Hutchison
Joomla! Production Leadership Team

Webdongle

Feb 7, 2014, 1:10:37 PM2/7/14
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom

Now I know that about the limit message ... I can make better images.  I have the masters of the ones I created so I can make new jpg's that have the complete screen.  Then complete the others.

Tom Hutchison

Feb 7, 2014, 4:23:27 PM2/7/14
to joomla-docs
Great Webdongle!

Tom

---

Webdongle

Feb 10, 2014, 10:42:22 AM2/10/14
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Changed the user group image ... only used the default user groups with no sample data because it is less confusing.  Suggest we change the text to reflect that  the other user groups are installed with sample data.  If that is OK then I will create a better quality image and edit the text accordingly.

Tom Hutchison

Feb 10, 2014, 7:07:06 PM2/10/14
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi Webdongle

Whatever you feel is relevant and easy.  Easier to follow, the better it is for our end users.

Tom

---
Tom Hutchison
Joomla! Production Leadership

Webdongle

Feb 10, 2014, 7:32:07 PM2/10/14
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Okie dokie ... will take a little time but will get there.

Webdongle

Feb 11, 2014, 10:34:04 AM2/11/14
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Still a lot to do but it is taking shape now.

Tom Hutchison

Feb 11, 2014, 4:26:50 PM2/11/14
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Yes, coming along great.  Thanks for taking on this huge article!

Tom

---