Translations

Brian Teeman

Feb 28, 2014, 5:26:25 AM2/28/14
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
Hi its awesome to see so many translations appear.

I spotted two things

1. on some pages that it says 100% complete but there is no translation

For example

2. If you are in a non-english language and follow a link inside an article you are always presented with the english article.

Tom Hutchison

Feb 28, 2014, 9:49:44 AM2/28/14
to joomla-docs
Good morning/afternoon? Brian

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 5:26 AM, Brian Teeman <joom...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi its awesome to see so many translations appear.

I'm humbled, 31 translators have volunteered in 16 languages in the past few days. They are all actively translating, one is even using the Export/Import feature! They are all very excited and just looking at the activity from our new translators, it shows.

I spotted two things

1. on some pages that it says 100% complete but there is no translation

For example

Yes, the page's message groups are 100%, but the supporting page's content wasn't. The Glossary pages are setup a bit different, Chunks are the short definition and then the main page is supposed to be an extended definition. In their excitement, some of the translators started translating the long version first. The French version of the category definition chunk is being translated now. The red link to Chunk:Category/fr is now gone.

2. If you are in a non-english language and follow a link inside an article you are always presented with the english article.

That's because docs knows you are as English as can be. : )  So you probably want to read the pages in English.

There are a few things going on in the background when you click a link, this is the simplified version, http://docs.joomla.org/JDOC:Translating_Links. In reality, there are some weighted tests and fall backs being checked, all of course can be overridden by a logged in user. Essentially, the system always tries to determine what the best language is for you, the user(viewer). If you are browsing the site with a browser with settings in French, while sitting in downtown Paris, you're going to get the French version of a page.

So, if you are logged into Docs and your lang choice is English, the links are always going to try and send you to an English version of a page. So let's make your language French, you can use the drop down (user icon) to choose your language. Just click on English, then pick français from the choices. Or you can use this link,  http://docs.joomla.org/Alias/fr?setlang=fr. If you clicked the link, you are looking at the Alias page in French. Now click on Catégories in the first paragraph, you should be viewing the page in French(it's almost completed now). From there, click on Articles in the and you should be seeing the French version of Articles(which is about 67% complete).

Time to bring you home, click on your user icon, français, then choose English. Or you can add ?setlang=en to the URL in the browser bar as short cut.

-------
Some interesting things the translators have discovered for anyone on docs who doesn't know about translations of docs. Marijke and Manuel have been noticing Yandex, one of the services used to help translate the bulk of text our translators then manually format or reword correctly is presenting multiple choices, some with correct wiki text formatting! I was surprised by this myself. Of course, I'm not translating to another language, but I can peek at what Yandex was presenting.

One of things a translator must do (see the Translating Links page above) is make sure the S:MyLanguage/ is used. By the way, non-translators can help with this too on the source pages. : )  Anyway, [[Pagename of Link]] links are being presented with a [[S:MyLanguage/Pagename of Link|<the translation>]] same for the Category links with a /<language code> at the end. The more translations, the better they become at suggesting the correct formats. Just an interesting observation and a huge help to the translators.

Take care
Tom

--
----
Tom Hutchison

Brian Teeman

Feb 28, 2014, 10:40:08 AM2/28/14
to jooml...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the explanation

I read a really good article on documentation yesterday - I especially found the section on including the version and language in the URL interesting. http://ericholscher.com/blog/2014/feb/27/how-i-judge-documentation-quality/

Tom Hutchison