Documentation Licence to be CC

1 view

Shayne Bartlett

Apr 21, 2006, 9:04:31 PM4/21/06
to joomla-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

After getting legal advice from the SFLC (Software Freedom Law Center)
the decision has been made that all Official Joomla! documentation will
hence forth be covered by the Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 license.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

Why this license?

* It means when you write content you retain the copyright, this
means you can do whatever you like with what you have written.
* Joomla! has the power to change/modify the content as is required.
* No other(3rd Party) entity may use the content in a commercial
context without the explicit permission of the Author (thats you
folks).

This change has been made in order to address a number of issues. For
example it means that people can contribute material for the good of
Joomla! and the Joomla! community but retain ownership. This (we hope)
may lead to an increased number of submissions of content by both team
and non-team people.

In the coming weeks we will need to make some changes, most notably the
license displayed on the Joomla! sites. Additionally we will be asking
past contributers... that is people who's content is already in the
documentation, to sign an authority to change the license of existing
content to the CC license.

We will not be forcing anyone to do this but I would hope you all
understand that is actually in your own best interests that the license
change goes ahead.

If anyone has any questions about the changes proposed by the SFLA
please feel free to email me.

Cheers
Shayne

Michelle Bisson

Apr 21, 2006, 9:40:22 PM4/21/06
to joomla-d...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good Shayne!  I assume that I can now share this with my team. Please confirm.

Michelle

Shayne Bartlett

Apr 21, 2006, 10:23:28 PM4/21/06
to joomla-d...@googlegroups.com
Certainly. :-D

Cheers
Shayne

Michelle Bisson wrote:
> Sounds good Shayne! I assume that I can now share this with my team.
> Please confirm.
>
> Michelle
>

> On 4/21/06, *Shayne Bartlett* <shayneb...@gmail.com

Chris Davenport

Apr 22, 2006, 11:34:18 AM4/22/06
to joomla-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shayne,

No problem. Just show me where to sign! :)

Regards,
Chris.

In message <4449811...@gmail.com>, Shayne Bartlett
<shayneb...@gmail.com> writes

>Hi All,
>
>After getting legal advice from the SFLC (Software Freedom Law Center)
>the decision has been made that all Official Joomla! documentation will
>hence forth be covered by the Creative Commons
>Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 license.
>http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

[Snip]

--
Chris Davenport
ch...@dcsnet.demon.co.uk

Barrie North

Apr 22, 2006, 7:06:44 PM4/22/06
to joomla-d...@googlegroups.com
A great idea.

Its my understanding that you don't really need to sign anything, just when you submit stuff, put the appropriate commons license somewhere in the document.

Johan Janssens

Apr 25, 2006, 6:54:54 AM4/25/06
to Joomla! Developer Documentation
Hi guys,

I will confirm with Mitch to make sure but as it stands now u will not
need to sign anything. We will just put the license information on both
sites and inform our working groups and past contributors, any people
that don't agree with this license will be asked to remove any content
they contributed.

I'll get back to you after I double check things with Mitch but I don't
see any problems.

Johan