Re: [jplatform] Joomla with NuoDB

Chad Windnagle

Jan 23, 2013, 3:50:01 PM1/23/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
HI Alon:

I'm sure many people would be interested in looking into supporting more databases. Joomla already supports a few different ones. In the process of adding database drivers like PostGres and Azure a database extraction layer was created. You can see that here:

So I *think* the starting place for you would be to create a new driver class here and begin adding the driver-agnostic SQL commands (many of them are here https://github.com/joomla/joomla-platform/blob/staging/libraries/joomla/database/query.php) so that they relate to the NuoDB specific commands.

You will definitely need to do unit tests for all the code you write to test all this. Also you'll need to think about any commands that don't translate well. (For instance I remember in supporting different databases we had to work around the support of the SOUNDEX command).

Also it does look like the platform (not sure of the CMS) supports a PDO driver (https://github.com/joomla/joomla-platform/blob/staging/libraries/joomla/database/driver/pdo.php) not sure if this fits your needs, but it might be worth looking into so you can see what's already available.

Small Logo
Chad Windnagle
s-go Consulting
607-330-2574 x103
607-229-6260 (Cell)
Website Design - SEO - Video

Follow Me: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM, alon1205 <djsh...@heavennyc.com> wrote:
Please place this thread to the appropriate location if I misplaced it.
I have been using Joomla for some time now and plan on upgrading all the websites to version 3 as well.
But here is my question and if someone can contribute to it, it will be amazing. I can even provide resources if needed.
Not so long ago we (Our company do a cloud hosting) got a successful story of setting up a client with .NET application using NuoDB as a back end. For us - administrators, it is a major breakthrough, as NuoDB, while being a standard SQL server a lot easier to maintain and support.
Here is a question - what needs to be done in order to get NuoDB support in Joomla? NuoDB do support the PHP PDO out of the box.
Any help in that regard will be much appreciated, as I would like to move my personal pages running Joomla to the NuoDB.

Ian

Jan 23, 2013, 7:56:42 PM1/23/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com, ch...@s-go.net
So there will likely be a few pieces of work that you'll need to do to get the CMS to run on NuoDB:

1. A NuoDB database driver.  Since there is a PDO extension for it this will probably be a relatively small task, but will nonetheless probably take some work in the areas of JDatabaseDriver that involve queries.

2. A JDatabaesQuery class for NuoDB.  The amount of work this will require will really depend on how unique the SQL language that NuoDB uses is and what sort of features NuoDB supports.  We really have built a lot of things around the concept of auto increment which isn't as widely supported as you might think (although other DBs have different ways to solve the same problem).  In any case, the database abstraction object is going to be a key part of the work that you do.

3. Converting the schema - this involves converting the files that the CMS uses to create the actual tables into NuoDB SQL.

4. Testing, and probably lots of it.

1. and 2. are items that would likely be discussed here, but 3. and 4. are items that better belong on the CMS list (joomla-dev-cms).

Ian

On Wednesday, 23 January 2013 16:54:37 UTC-5, alon1205 wrote:
Thank you for the prompt response!
I will go over all this. I belive that PHP PDO is the answer. It is not out of the box for Joomla as I can see, but let me try it.

Elin Waring

Jan 27, 2013, 4:48:47 PM1/27/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com, ch...@s-go.net
You have to separate the issue of platform support from CMS. Support. Platform support is necessary but not sufficient for CMS official support. For example the CMS does not support Oracle even thought the platform has an Oracle driver. Support by the CMS requires review of all of the working parts of the CMS and extensive testing by users while making sure not to break anything for currently supported drivers and long term commitment to provide support.   For example just recently we found a query using a sqlsrv reserved word  that was causing major headaches. There are hundreds of queries in the CMS  and many do not use the abstraction layer to its full extent, all of them need to be reviewed for there to be official support of a driver. THe Hooduku team for Sqlsrv and Gabriele for Postgres did heroic work rewriting dozens of queries and this led to big improvements in JDatabaseQuery and other places in JDatabase as a happy benefit. Of course unofficial support is a different story.

Elin

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Adam Abrevaya <aabr...@nuodb.com> wrote:
On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:54:37 PM UTC-5, alon1205 wrote:
> Thank you for the prompt response!
> I will go over all this. I belive that PHP PDO is the answer. It is not out of the box for Joomla as I can see, but let me try it.

Hi Alon -

I'm part of the NuoDB team.  We've built a couple of PDO based extensions for other CMS systems so I expect a Joomla one will be straightforward as well.

Some of the other extensions we did can be found on github,   Take a look at the "nuodb-php-pdo-" repositories in http://github.com/nuodb.

We'll also be happy to help get this jumpstarted if you'd like.  Just shoot an email to sup...@nuodb.com and we'll have someone work with you to get this started.  Just mention this thread and we'll introduce you to the right person on our team to help.

-Adam

84.le0n

Jan 29, 2013, 7:39:33 PM1/29/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alon,
I'll try to follow your branch ;)

Eng. Gabriele Pongelli

Donald Gilbert

Feb 26, 2013, 7:36:07 PM2/26/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
That's pretty cool. I hope you're get this completed, as I'm sure there are NuoDB users out there that would like to use Joomla, and currently can't. It would increase our potential user base very nicely. :)

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM, alon1205 <djsh...@heavennyc.com> wrote:
Hello everyone. Just an update
I am in close contact with NuoDB developers and other members of their great team. I also made arrangements with some PHP developers who worked with Joomla before. I can say - the work is about to begin. I would like nothing more than to have my favorite CMS to have a support of my favorite DB. In theory my ideal plan is to have a developed driver to allow Joomla to support NuoDB on a permanent opensource basis.