JHtmlTabs

George Wilson

Mar 14, 2013, 8:33:03 PM3/14/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Well having moaned and questioned enough - thought I should get some actual code made as some kind of compensation - and the first thing that hit me was that JHtmlTabs needs jQuery'ing. Now someone on SO the other day punched up a beautiful plugin here:

Three issues with this as I see it:
  1. Its not our plugin - although with the composer meaning we're looking at taking on other packages anyway I can't see this being a major issue
  2. This has no license - so I don't know whether we can include it or not with the GPL hassle (I think no license means we can - but correct me if wrong).
  3. It falls back to an accordion when at low screen widths - not quite in fitting with the JHtmlTabs Class
  4. It doesn't have any params like the current one does - although stuff like the active tab etc. shouldn't be too hard to add back in if we wish.
Advantages:
  1. It falls back to an accordion when at low screen widths (and the actual width is customizable in the css) - by default set to 767=< being accordion >767 being a nice set of tabs. I thought this fitted in nicely with the Joomla responsive aim that the CMS is going through at the moment - although I'm not sure how that fits in with the platform objectives.
  2. Uses jQuery and not MooTools
  3. Uses divs/ul rather than the dt elements (that should be used as definitions)
  4. Simple code and should be relatively easy to customize
 I guess as it would be a completely new feature with different elements it may need a different class name?? And mark the current one as deprecated - or use some if statement to get it to work with MooTools or jQuery

Anyhow let me know opinions. If it gets a general consensus I'll start working on it and put in a PR on github (btw do I do this to the Platform and/or Framework?

Don

Mar 14, 2013, 8:36:14 PM3/14/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. I'd code it up fresh for the CMS. JHtml is really CMS specific and as such we removed it from the framework.

Sent from my iPhone

George Wilson

Mar 14, 2013, 8:40:11 PM3/14/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Arrggghhh bugger. Will post in the cms dev group then. Cheers for pointing me in the right direction. What classes have dropped out the platform back to the CMS then? So I can write them in thick marker pen somewhere!

Kind Regards,
George

Michael Babker

Mar 14, 2013, 8:55:24 PM3/14/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
For all intents and purposes, if it isn't in the Framework repo, then the CMS will inherit full control of it.  This includes the entirety of the JHtml and JDocument packages (just using those as two larger examples).