Platform is being re-named to "Framework" -- V. important

Paul D. Bain

Mar 8, 2013, 5:09:42 PM3/8/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Eddie
Please see my remarks below.

On 3/5/2013 5:54 PM, Andrew Eddie wrote:

>> I shared this with the LT today - it might be helpful here too.
>>
>> The impacts on the project as we see it distill to this:
>>
>> 1. The CMS will maintain its own copy of the platform.
>>
>> Currently the CMS has to patch bugs in it's own repo and in the platform
>> which is double handling. This is the only impact on day-to-day
>> operations of the CMS. Developers that work on the CMS will still
>> continue to work on the CMS. At a future time, the CMS will be able to
>> upgrade it's code to include just the parts of the Framework it needs
>> and have a much easier time of keeping those parts synchronised across
>> versions of the CMS.
>>
>> 2. The Platform is being renamed to [ "Framework" ]
>>
>> The renaming is because of a major architectural change called
>> namespacing. We didn't want to confuse the non-namespaced platform that
>> the CMS is using with the new namespaced code. It's a big change but the
>> nature of the change is very geeky, but that's nothing to be concerned
>> about.

OK. That is all well and good, but, in my opinion, this extraordinarily
important announcement probably should have been made in a _NEW_ thread
of discussion (ToD), rather than being buried in the ToD started on 28
February when Matt Thomas asked, "Differences between Joomla Framework &
Joomla Platform?" It was mere chance that I stumbled upon this email.
Had I overlooked this email, I would have been completely ignorant of
this extremely important change in the name that is used to refer to the
core, PHP libraries (Platform, Framework, whatever) that the CMS depends on.

IMO, announcements of this importance should NOT be buried in ToD's in
this manner. Doing so only confuses non-developers and anyone who does
not have the time to read these email lists regularly.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain

>> 3. All work on the Framework will happen in new repository.
>>
>> It's just easier that way because the Platform is still being maintained
>> for a short time. It would be a big mess to be working on both in the
>> one repository.
>>
>> 4. The Framework will be activity distributed via a tool called Composer
>> with uses a site called Packagist.org.
>>
>> This is a major change. We currently don't "distribute" the platform,
>> not actively anyway. We tag it and people can clone the repository, but
>> that's it. Composer and Packagist are to the Framework what the
>> downloads page is to the CMS. We are saying to the whole PHP community,
>> not just those using Joomla, here is our code for you to use. It's sort
>> of like being included on Fantastico where you can choose to install
>> Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, etc. It's huge deal in the PHP community at
>> the moment and it's a massive opportunity for us to raise awareness of
>> Joomla as something more than just a CMS.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andrew Eddie

Andrew Eddie

Mar 8, 2013, 5:31:09 PM3/8/13
to JPlatform
Hi Paul

That discussion steps from this one (Feb  17):

The feedback was extremely positive so it was followed by a call-to-action:

And that's what stirred Matt to ask more questions and led to quickly hobbling together an article in the JCM:

Both stem from other discussions on list for a few months now, namely this proposal for namespacing:

Since then, I've also produced this just to highlight how the Joomla code base has evolved over the years:

I'm sorry you missed them, but we have have tried to be as open as possible on multiple communication channels about discussing this. The only thing we haven't done yet is put news on developer.joomla.org.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://learn.theartofjoomla.comfree tutorials and videos on Joomla development

Paul D. Bain

Mar 9, 2013, 4:54:13 PM3/9/13
On 3/8/2013 5:31 PM, Andrew Eddie wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> That discussion steps from this one (Feb 17):
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/joomla-dev-platform/yXS9fVE-93M

Andrew,

OK. Thank you for this information. I found it to be helpful.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain

> The feedback was extremely positive so it was followed by a call-to-action:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/joomla-dev-platform/d8omfiGKLJE
>
> And that's what stirred Matt to ask more questions and led to quickly
> hobbling together an article in the JCM:
> http://magazine.joomla.org/issues/issue-mar-2013/item/1136-differences-between-the-joomla-framework-and-joomla-platform
>
> Both stem from other discussions on list for a few months now, namely
> this proposal for namespacing:
> https://github.com/joomla/joomla-platform/issues/1787
>
> Since then, I've also produced this just to highlight how the Joomla
> code base has evolved over the years:
> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/16KubTVSPf6JAAW0H5NXD_2CsfbnL2IAbcsTHkIdXjW0/edit?usp=sharing
>
> I'm sorry you missed them, but we have have tried to be as open as
> possible on multiple communication channels about discussing this. The
> only thing we haven't done yet is put news on developer.joomla.org
> <http://developer.joomla.org>.
>
> If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate
> hesitate to ask.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew Eddie
> http://learn.theartofjoomla.com - free tutorials and videos on Joomla
> development
>

> On 9 March 2013 08:09, Paul D. Bain <paul...@pobox.com

Andrew Eddie

Mar 9, 2013, 4:54:44 PM3/9/13
to JPlatform
On 10 March 2013 07:54, Paul D. Bain <paul...@pobox.com> wrote:
Andrew,

        OK. Thank you for this information. I found it to be helpful.

No worries. If you have any questions that aren't being answered well, please let us know.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie