Jira and next PLT meeting

Andrew Eddie

Feb 23, 2013, 10:05:23 PM2/23/13
to JPlatform
Hi all. We have a PLT meeting next week (about 30 hours away).

First, I need to make a report on the Jira status. Can anyone fill me in on where it's at? It was sort of born out of the idea of helping people work out what they could do to help out. Is that still a problem or have people "worked it out"? I'm happy to back up anyone that wants to continue with this, but I just need to know what the plan is and who is going to do the work.

Second, if there's anything platform related you want me to bring to the PLT, let me know in the next day.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

Amy Stephen

Feb 24, 2013, 6:17:19 PM2/24/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com, David Vega

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:05:23 PM UTC-6, Andrew Eddie wrote:
Hi all. We have a PLT meeting next week (about 30 hours away).

First, I need to make a report on the Jira status. Can anyone fill me in on where it's at? It was sort of born out of the idea of helping people work out what they could do to help out. Is that still a problem or have people "worked it out"? I'm happy to back up anyone that wants to continue with this, but I just need to know what the plan is and who is going to do the work.

I have not heard from David since the last time you asked about status and I think he said he's was going to be out of the country for a few weeks? That's been awhile ago.

A while back, he showed me the environment. He had it set up, wanted feedback, not sure if you have had a chance to look around yet? Looks pretty straight forward. The main thing would be to use it, if you think it would be helpful. By "use it", I mean to enter the various tasks that must worked on.

Maybe David can schedule a session with you and the other Platform people? Get you going?

Copied David and I'll Tweet him, too. That doesn't work, I have Skype, Google +. After that it's a long drive to Mexico, but I'll do it if we have to track him down. ;-)

Andrew Eddie

Feb 24, 2013, 6:27:16 PM2/24/13
to JPlatform, David Vega
On 25 February 2013 09:17, Amy Stephen <amyst...@gmail.com> wrote:
A while back, he showed me the environment. He had it set up, wanted feedback, not sure if you have had a chance to look around yet? Looks pretty straight forward. The main thing would be to use it, if you think it would be helpful. By "use it", I mean to enter the various tasks that must worked on.

Maybe David can schedule a session with you and the other Platform people? Get you going?

I use Jira at work so for me it's about whether the tool can be used. I'm happy to get behind whomever wants to drive it, I just don't want to drive it :) I'm also just as happy for people to throw a "Where can I help / I need help / Can we discuss" on the mailing list.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

Beat

Feb 25, 2013, 9:34:02 AM2/25/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com, David Vega
Jira is not open-source libre, which values very much open-source software and the 4 freedoms that come with it as well as their direct effects.

So, sorry to ask a (at first glance stupid) question, maybe I do not understand something:
Does it make sense for an open-source project to use proprietary software (as good as it may be) ? and by using it to promote proprietary software (e.g. it would be added to wikipedia's description of Jira, same as other open-source projects were added) against the Open Source *Matters* values ?

There are many very good open source free(dom) alternatives for bug-tracking and cooperative community work: E.g.:

Best Regards,
Beat

Andrew Eddie

Feb 25, 2013, 4:23:49 PM2/25/13
to JPlatform
On 26 February 2013 00:34, Beat <bea...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jira is not open-source libre, which values very much open-source software and the 4 freedoms that come with it as well as their direct effects.

Neither is the Mac I use to write Open Source software, or Github for that matter.

So, sorry to ask a (at first glance stupid) question, maybe I do not understand something:
Does it make sense for an open-source project to use proprietary software (as good as it may be) ? and by using it to promote proprietary software (e.g. it would be added to wikipedia's description of Jira, same as other open-source projects were added) against the Open Source *Matters* values ?

I suggest you talk directly with OSM to see how they feel about that and report back to us.

There are many very good open source free(dom) alternatives for bug-tracking and cooperative community work: E.g.:

The background of this conversation is about helping people to know what to do and coordinate sub-projects among people, possibly using an Agile methodology. It's not about bug or issue tracking. But, if you want to do the work to set up and promote the adoption of any of those systems, I can include them in my reports.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

Andrew Eddie

Feb 25, 2013, 5:00:02 PM2/25/13
to JPlatform
On 26 February 2013 07:36, Denis Dulici <denis...@gmail.com> wrote:

You should also consider The Bug Genie, it's not just about bugs, it's full featured issue tracking software: http:/thebuggenie.com (PHP+Open)

Sure, but the situation is this. We aren't deciding to "choose" a tool. Someone volunteered to set one up and promote it as a result of a conversation we had about making it easier to find things to do (some people are having trouble working that out). If others want to do the same other tools, please go for it. I'm simply following up on a conversation that we had near the beginning of the year.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

dukeofgaming

Feb 25, 2013, 6:24:41 PM2/25/13
to Beat, joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Reporting in!

Atlassian provides their software free for open source projects and they have a very open culture, proof is that they gave their tools for free to us, and if we chose to go this way we wouldn't be in a vendor lock-in, as we can export all our data in several ways. It shouldn't affect us to use proprietary tools... just the fact that they are proprietary or Enterprise doesn't make them evil; vendor lock-ins and shady deals with proprietary software companies would, but this is not the case at all.

A quote that comes to mind is one from Linus Torvalds, who said when presenting git something like: "I believe open source software is the only correct way to do software, but at the same time I only use the best tool for the job", referring to BitKeeper.

I mean, as I understand it, OSM embraced Microsoft's participation under OSM terms. Microsoft can be regarded as evil by many, but they came with good intentions. This should apply to any other proprietary software/company that comes with truly noble intentions. So that statement alone sounds like FUD to me (not implying you are trying to spread FUD, I mean no disrespect or anything).

In other news, I have not had time to follow-up on the integration items between Jira and Github, so it is too early to ask for any feedback.

As I have mentioned earlier, tool fragmentation leads to communication issues and lack of clarity. You can see this in companies as in communities, and I think that is the main reason a tool as robust (that can be heavily customized) as Jira would benefit the Joomla community. Add to that the fact that it costs nothing to us because we already have it, courtesy of Atlassian.

Keep in mind that Joomla is a BIG project (in terms of code and people), and big projects have big requirements (e.g. different workflows, data, etc.), and so far my understanding is that this has been "solved" by using different tools.

Regards,

David

Amy Stephen

Feb 25, 2013, 9:39:25 PM2/25/13
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Beat -

Didn't you finally get the CB Subs Joomla Extension licensed properly as GPL in December?

http://www.joomlapolis.com/news/18335-cbsubs-30-goes-gpl-

Jira may not be "free" as in "where is my tin foil hat" but I don't think there are compliance issues.

On Monday, February 25, 2013 8:34:02 AM UTC-6, Beat wrote:Jira is not open-source libre, which values very much open-source software and the 4 freedoms that come with it as well as their direct effects.