re-installing module being developed under J4

pjl55

Oct 22, 2021, 6:49:13 AM10/22/21
to Joomla! General Development
Hi,
I have some experience of developing modules for J3 - not a total newbie, but probably not far off, by some standards.

I was trying to update a module I had written for J3 to bring it up to J4, and I was having trouble with namespaces.  The problem I had was that I had installed my module without fully understanding what I was doing and my first attempt had typical mistakes.

Not usually a big deal - except that once the module has been installed, there doesn't seem to be an easy way of refreshing the installation if I make changes to the files, in order to update the namespace registration..

It appears that namespaces only get registered during installation, and there isn't an easy way to refresh the registration without going through a tortuous and convoluted route.

In my case I'm working directly on the files with VSC - I've got Xdebug working nicely, but If I have to change the namespace (because I'm playing with it to understand what's going on), then I have to, either, uninstall the module, then reinstall it - create a site module then re-enter all the module parametric data.  Which is a pain.  Or, I have also deleted in the appropriate dB entry in the extensions table - then discover the module and add the parametric data - which is also a pain.  This is all on my sandpit development environment - so no danger to anyone,

So, my question is: is there a simple way of refreshing the module installation without all this work?  My inexperience may be showing, if there's a workflow someone knows about, I've not been able to find it.

Thanks for any help or pointers.
Peter