JoomlaEditor is undefined

Viper

Feb 10, 2024, 5:00:02 PMFeb 10
to Joomla! General Development
Hi!
When I trying to get editor value via
editor = Joomla.editors.instances['jform_myeditor'];
I see in console "Direct access to Joomla.editors.instances is deprecated. Use JoomlaEditor.getActive() or JoomlaEditor.get(id) to retrieve the editor instance."

But when I do
editor = JoomlaEditor.get('jform_myeditor');
I'm always getting error "JoomlaEditor is undefined".
What am I doing wrong?

Grant Hood

Feb 11, 2024, 6:36:28 AMFeb 11
to Joomla! General Development
The way I do it in J4 is to make sure I have the main Factory imported into my class with:

use Joomla\CMS\Factory;

Then to identify the current editor I use

$editor = Factory::getApplication()->get('editor');

In my case that returns the string 'jce';

Hope that gets you what you need.

Harold Smith

Feb 11, 2024, 10:41:22 AMFeb 11
to Joomla! General Development
Not real sure if this helps you either but you could use $editor = Editor::getInstance(Factory::getApplication()->getConfig()->get('editor'));

Viper

Feb 11, 2024, 10:44:26 AMFeb 11
to Joomla! General Development
Thanks for reply, but I'm trying this in javascript, not a php.

shumisha

Feb 12, 2024, 5:58:55 AMFeb 12
to Joomla! General Development
I'm guessing you're doing this with Joomla 5 (what you do should be OK on Joomla 3 and 4).

Per a discussion with Dimitris, here is a snippet that should help:

  <script type=module>
    import { JoomlaEditor } from 'editor-api';

  requestAnimationFrame(() => {
      const instances = JoomlaEditor.instances;
      const editorInstance = JoomlaEditor.get('jform_articletext');
      console.log(editorInstance)
  });
  </script>

This is an example, you don't need to use requestAnimationFrame or anything, adjust to your use case.

Neo314

Mar 9, 2024, 10:30:15 PMMar 9
to Joomla! General Development
Did this help you viper? I am trying to access the editor in a view, not a module because the editor, marked required, is not validating.

The import is only for modules. I used webasset manager to ->useScript('editor-api'), and I am getting the same thing you are. JoomlaEditor is undefined.

Viper

Mar 10, 2024, 3:56:20 AMMar 10
to Joomla! General Development
Yes and no. Currently I'm rewrote my javascript code in module format. But I decide to stay with the old Joomla.editors.instances[] code(will update when Joomla core javascript will updated).

"the editor, marked required, is not validating"

It's not an error. HTML validation on client side is a non-trivial task. So validator skip this.
I'm just get an editor value in javascript and checking only for empty value(because user can delete default <p></p> from editor) while user submit the form. All other validations in $model->validate() method.

Steven Berkson

Mar 10, 2024, 4:18:13 AMMar 10
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Can you elaborate on writing your JavaScript code in module format, and/or how you're getting the editor value? I'm familiar with the issues around validating an html editor, so I'm trying to test it myself and/or set a minimum length.

The module terminology here is new to me, and, using webassetmanager I don't have control over the script tag as far as I can tell.

Over a similar issue in terms of dynamic elements, I've also been struggling with detecting subform/multiple and list/multiple select deletion events. As a work around, I had to resort to setInterval to scan for changes.

Steven Berkson

Mar 10, 2024, 6:07:08 AMMar 10
to Joomla! General Development
Example in shumisha  post. It's minimum changes required.

Using webassets manager you can set up some attributes for <script> tag.
For dynamically created elements use delegated events binding.

Something like this:
myClass.on = function (el, eventName, eventHandler, selector) {
if (selector) {
const wrappedHandler = (e) => {
if (!e.target) return;
const el = e.target.closest(selector);
if (el) {
eventHandler.call(el, e);
}
};
el.addEventListener(eventName, wrappedHandler);
return wrappedHandler;
}
}
myClass.on('body', 'click', myFunctionToExecute, '.element-where-click');

Steven Berkson

Mar 17, 2024, 5:02:01 PMMar 17
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com

I had to finish up other elements of the project before returning to this.

Thanks for the reply. I could not get it to work, at least not for the subform. I got myClass.on undefined, or if I changed both to myClass (no on), I got addEventListener not a function. I tried passing an element, but I think el gets overwritten, doesn’t it?

I did, however, upon returning to this, solve the matter to eliminate the setInterval.

I still could not get any event to trigger by the button clicks on the subform, but when I look at the event pattern in the Joomla JavaScript, the event triggers on click and keydown of the element joomla-field-subform. Presto! So I have been able to trigger on that event for any click or keyup in the subform.

I’m still using jQuery for now. Please don’t judge me harshly ;0)

jQuery('joomla-field-subform').on('click keyup', function (){

                             checkGuestValidation();

                             updateClues();

                             updateFee();

                             alert('It works!');

              });

Still have not gotten around to tackling accessing the editor…