Joomla Doc - Please tell me I was blind

Rudi Ratlos

Jun 21, 2022, 11:42:23 AM6/21/22
to Joomla! General Development
Hi,

I'm looking for the most basic of dev docs and don't find it: the design documents which detail the Joomla system mechanics - i.e. how the various classes of the CMS and the framework work together.
All I find looks like every singel developer does his / her own reverse engineering to understand how it all works. On the other end I find outdated or incomplete tutorials for new devs. And in the sources I find very short docs like "getmessage() - gets the message".

There must be more.
Please tell me I was blind and it's easy to find (and where).
Thanks.

MarkRS

Jun 21, 2022, 12:00:10 PM6/21/22
to Joomla! General Development
I'm sorry to say that I must be blind too, unless we're actually both right.  More than that, I agree with your other thoughts too.

I did send a message to the documentation team offering to get involved in writing such documents, ie how things actually work rather than simple explanations of how some, hopefully common, things can be written.  Unfortunately that was two weeks (?) ago now and I've not had any reply.

MonkeyT

Jun 22, 2022, 4:20:47 PM6/22/22
to Joomla! General Development
This is the most impressive tutorial/reference specifically for Joomla 4 I've seen: it goes over practically every file you need to create in great technical detail, being pretty specific about what it does, why it's required, where it should reside, and what is needed for J3 compatibility.  It covers a basic component, plugin, module, template, and package.

While it may not be the simplest step-by-step walkthrough, it's fantastic for looking at existing components and discovering what each piece does and how.