Fixing the input package into the CMS

George Wilson

Sep 5, 2014, 9:54:36 AM9/5/14
to joomla-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
So as we know there are severe issues getting the input package into the CMS. Largely because the $_REQUEST in the input package is not passed by reference, whereas it is in the CMS (see this PR for the change) https://github.com/eddieajau/joomla-framework/commit/58dc9f93adddbb4aa145273b81c19705cf70aa44

Whilst the change is good it means that we can't fix alias in the CMS and also we have inconsistencies as the $_COOKIES is still passed by reference (see https://github.com/joomla-framework/input/blob/master/src/Cookie.php#L40) as well as $_FILES (https://github.com/joomla-framework/input/blob/master/src/Files.php#L49).

We can't remove the passing by reference in the CMS as that is a b/c break. So what I propose is to readd the passing of $_REQUEST by reference into v1.0 of the framework. Then for v2.0 we remove ALL calls by reference. Changing to fit the CMS for v1.0 and then immediately reverting said change in 2.0 is NOT unprecedented (see https://github.com/joomla-framework/registry/commit/b9b8058fafad9cdb046d26821bb29112a709fa0a).

Any feedback on that proposed change is welcome

Kind Regards,
George

Michael Babker

Sep 5, 2014, 12:57:12 PM9/5/14
to joomla-dev...@googlegroups.com
Not even taking the CMS into consideration (even though that's why we've been looking at this), I'd say revert and make it consistent.  I get why it was done but as is it's a partial solution that should've been caught much sooner.  In 2.0, we can drop the reference for all.
---

- Michael

Please pardon any errors, this message was sent from my iPhone.

George Wilson

Sep 5, 2014, 6:45:24 PM9/5/14
to joomla-dev...@googlegroups.com
OK So I've taken the liberty to draw up the two proposed PR's

The re-adding of the pass by reference for 1.x: https://github.com/joomla-framework/input/pull/15

The removal of passing by reference for 2.x: https://github.com/joomla-framework/input/pull/16

Kind Regards,
George