Extracting J! CMS libraries

Matias Aguirre

Oct 20, 2016, 2:03:13 AM10/20/16
to Joomla! Framework Development

Hello!

In this last time I decided to move the code jUpgradePro to use DI because this change would help me in many things and I have found that many of the libraries I need to jUpgradePro, are based on CMS.

Exactly, these are the libraries I need: Table (and its variants), Access, Event, and User.

So I have been forced to remove these libraries so they can be used outside the CMS. I leave two links with these libraries:

https://github.com/matware-lab/access
https://github.com/matware-lab/table

Anyone know if these libraries will someday be extracted or will remain in the CMS? What will be the way of Joomla! on this topic? Any thoughts are welcome.

George Wilson

Nov 16, 2016, 7:16:34 PM11/16/16
to Joomla! Framework Development
Me and Michael have considered both these packages in the past.

For JAccess there would need to be sizeable changes because we can't distribute a package that's completely static method based. Me and Michael had a WIP based on JAccess as it was about 2 years ago but it never really went anywhere

I'm still not convinced if by the time JTable has been framework'd whether it will be hugely different from Eloquent

Kind Regards,
George

Matias Aguirre

Nov 17, 2016, 9:27:40 AM11/17/16
to Joomla! Framework Development

Thanks George for the answer.

Do you think is a good idea to replace all JTable with Eloquent directly or just wait for a Joomla! solution for ORM/database?

Walt Sorensen aka photodude

Nov 19, 2016, 4:40:42 AM11/19/16

I'm not sure where things are at, but there has been some talk about using Doctrine DBAL under a Joomla ORM to replace the database package.  https://github.com/joomla-framework/database/issues/18

There is a project from 2014 that's using Doctrine ORM with Joomla https://github.com/jooctrine/jooctrine