How to volunteer in Joomla development?

Ahmed Salah

Sep 4, 2017, 2:16:39 AM9/4/17
to Joomla! Framework Development
I am an intermediate PHP Developer, I really want to contribute in Joomla development, but i really don't know how to start.
I need help and guidance to go on .. any help ?

brian teeman

Sep 4, 2017, 3:39:44 AM9/4/17
to Joomla! Framework Development
You should find everything you need to know here

Walt Sorensen aka photodude

Nov 12, 2017, 2:16:03 AM11/12/17
to Joomla! Framework Development
Depends on how you want to contribute, and is you want to contribute to the Framework and/or the CMS

Testers for PRs are always needed. Currently, in the CMS there are about 381 open PR's. Of those only about 32 have received testing and the RTC tag for successful tests.

There are also about 440 open issues not addressed by a PR in the CMS yet. so if you have the know-how and time to figure out how to fix things, that is also needed.

Testing Instructions
https://docs.joomla.org/Testing_Joomla!_patches

Reading and cleaning up the Documentation is always a big project and is a good place to learn from and help.

As Brian mentioned You can always find more opportunities help on the volunteers' site
https://volunteers.joomla.org/

PR = pull request, these are proposed code fixes
RTC = Ready to commit, these are patches that have been tested and could make it into a future version.

Each of the packages in Framework have their own set of open issues and PRs needing testing

I'm currently asking for help in completing and validating the upcoming alpha Code Standards implementation with PHPCS 2.9.x and PHPCS 3.1.x so developers can have access to the code style autofixers. https://github.com/joomla/coding-standards/

Additionally, there is lots of activity and help needed in Testing Joomla! 3.7.0 Alpha 1 for release candidate status, completing the 3.9 and 4.0 versions of Joomla. We also have need for people to help with improving the unit testing code coverage.

There is also a mailing group specific to the CMS development https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/joomla-dev-cms

With that being said, welcome to the community; and thanks for being willing to contribute.