[imp] Extension Update Messages like the Joomla Update Message

Tobias Zulauf

Apr 11, 2014, 3:33:13 AM4/11/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

i have send a Pull Request and JoomlaCode Tracker for a smal new Joomla Feature. The PR implements a Update Message for 3 Party Extensions like the Message we have now for the Joomla Core Updates

Github PR:

JIssues Tracker:

If you have a Joomla and Extension Update (here the de-DE Language Pack) this will show in this way:

Image Link: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/2596554/2625367/f9e25752-bd90-11e3-9b76-2c6010b1282c.jpg

If someone will test it we need the following steps:

1) Install a "old" Joomla like 3.2.2 OR Install Joomla 3.2.3 and enable the Update Source "Testing" (BE --> System --> Global Konfiguration --> Joomla! Update --> Update Server --> Testing) that will show the update to the current beta2 package and later to the last Nightly Builds.

--- Joomla 3.2.2: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/frs/?action=FrsReleaseBrowse&frs_package_id=6842

--- Joomla 3.2.3: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/frs/?action=FrsReleaseBrowse&frs_package_id=6856

2) Install a "old" Extension like the 3.2.2.1 de-DE Language Pack

--- http://sourceforge.net/projects/jgerman/files/Translations/Core/Joomla%21%203.2/Joomla%21%203.2.2v1/Joomla%21%20Installer%20Packages/

3) Install the Patchtester component

--- http://docs.joomla.org/Component_Patchtester_for_Testers

--- https://github.com/joomla-extensions/patchtester/releases

4) Apply with the Patchtester the Patch with the Pull-ID 3441

5) Open your Joomla Control Panel and make sure that it was show like the picture above

6) Please add comments, tests and issues to the Joomla Code Tracker and/or to the Jissues Tracker/Github Pull

Very much thanks for your tests and comments!

Kind Regards,

Tobias Zulauf

Leo Lammerink

Apr 11, 2014, 4:10:15 AM4/11/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias,
I have always respect for people who get to something new for Joomla but why do we need this? We have this already in the Control panel so why 2x?
updates
Regards

Leo Lammerink

Tobias Zulauf

Apr 11, 2014, 4:59:46 AM4/11/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Leo,

this also exists for the Core.

For me if we include the message a the top we don't need the things below. But this is not my decision.

But for me if we have this for the Core Updater we can have it also for the Extensions. I think it is a pice of consistency.

But if PLT or the others says we don't want it. Ok than i will close the PR.

Thanks for your comment.

Regards

Tobias Zulauf

Beat

Apr 11, 2014, 1:33:38 PM4/11/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Actually the JUX team had discussed this at the last JUX code sprint and decided that it should be done for Joomla and for extensions too. However time was missing to do it all, so we started with the example of Joomla, hoping someone would pick up the Extensions too, so that it becomes consistent.

So thanks Tobias for doing the work. Really appreciated from the JUX perspective.

As usual committers and PLT have final word on tested PRs.

Best Regards,
Beat

Leo Lammerink

Apr 11, 2014, 1:35:36 PM4/11/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Beat I am not against this at all I am just curious why we do this since we have it already in the left pane. I do not see any advantages to have this wide spread on the control panel where the red-warning clearly is atracting attention in the left pane? Just curious?

Leo

brian teeman

Apr 11, 2014, 1:48:29 PM4/11/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Its simple - its above the fold

Leo Lammerink

Apr 11, 2014, 1:54:03 PM4/11/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I can see that but that does not aswers my question: why a double whammy?

Roberto Segura

Apr 11, 2014, 1:57:38 PM4/11/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Ideally we should put everthing into the same alert box.

brian teeman

Apr 11, 2014, 1:59:55 PM4/11/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, 11 April 2014 18:57:38 UTC+1, Roberto Segura wrote:

Ideally we should put everthing into the same alert box.

that would be better imho

Roberto Segura

Apr 11, 2014, 2:01:37 PM4/11/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

It's just an idea but maybe something like span6 - span6 if there are updates for both or span12 for only 1 of them

Beat

Apr 12, 2014, 7:29:31 AM4/12/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Actually, span12 would be 100% fine, but while refactoring both into one alert box, it would be really good imho that the alert message is not placed above the left quick-links column. As it's displayed asynchronously, it makes that links column jump down too, and it makes you click a menu that is different than the one you pointed the mouse when the message appears while you are about to click. Happened to me a few times. Nothing major, just a "suboptimal" user experience.

Best Regards,
Beat
http://www.joomlapolis.com/

Tobias Zulauf

Apr 12, 2014, 9:34:59 AM4/12/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com

Bakual

Apr 12, 2014, 12:52:11 PM4/12/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Looking at the code I'm wondering why we didn't use "Joomla.renderMessages" (JS function in media/js/core.js) to show the message.

Roberto Segura

Apr 16, 2014, 1:23:49 PM4/16/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I think that can work :)

Tobias Zulauf

Apr 16, 2014, 1:58:22 PM4/16/14
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
PR is updated now with the needed changes.

https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/3411