Joomla 1.6 Alpha

10 views
Skip to first unread message

Rob Schley

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 1:00:52 AM6/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
There’s been a lot of activity over the last few week on Joomla 1.6 and I’m pleased to say that we’ve made a lot of progress in that time but there is still much to be done. We’ve made significant progress on the ACL system, nested categories, and countless other improvements.

The new ACL system is well on its way. You can now create new user groups, assign users to groups, assign groups to access levels, and assign content viewing permissions to access levels. We are still working out the details of the user interface and business logic for the advanced access permissions. The upgrade to MooTools 1.2 is complete and we’ve begun cleaning up core JavaScript code to make it more compact and efficient. The menu system and menu manager have been completely rewritten and now feature a number of major improvements that should make them more powerful, efficient, and easier to customize. 

We’ve refactored a number of other components including com_content, com_users, and com_weblinks to make them easier to maintain, customize, and extend. We’ve trimmed a lot of legacy code and media from the core which reduced the package size by about 30% or so. We’ve also made a number of performance improvements to the plugin system and the menu system that should create a visible improvement on larger websites.

So, in light of all of that, we’ve put together an alpha build to give people an opportunity to see what we’ve been working on and have a peek at what’s coming in 1.6. It is important to understand that this is a technology preview, not a final product. There are many issues, rough corners, dripping faucets, and outright broken pipes. We know this and you should too. Many features are still broken or extremely buggy so don’t panic if something doesn’t work as you might expect it to. As I said before, there is still much to be done.


Lastly, I’d like to thank Hannes, Gergo, Ercan, Louis, Andrew, and Sam for all of their hard work.

Enjoy,
Rob Schley

g s

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 3:53:34 AM6/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
wonderful, many thanks to everybody!! :)

i will try it next week, expecially the ACL system: i have some real
world scenario (a newspaper based on customized wordpress) that can
fit into j1.5 acl, so i'll concentrate on this kind of testing

Gabriele Sabadini

------

The information contained in this message as well as the attached
file(s) is confidential and is only intended for the person to whom it
is addressed (675/96 - D.lgs 196/03 - Direttiva 2002/58/CE)

This message has been processed against viruses.

da8iwr

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 8:31:46 AM6/23/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
This is excellent news, thanks for the heads up.

Just 2 main questions though

1 - Do you know if the existing 1.5.X extensions will work on 1.6.X,
or will they need modifying the work as they did with the 1.0 - 1.5
transition?

2 - Will the 1.5 > 1.6 upgrade be seamless or will it need work as it
does now with 1.0 > 1.5?

Ill get downloading and playing with it, to see what i can find.

Thanks again :)
Ian

Scoop

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 8:39:11 AM6/23/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Thank you, Rob and team!

Pedro Renan

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 9:29:05 AM6/23/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Very good!!!
> You can download a copy of the alpha athttp://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/frs/?action=FrsReleaseBrowse&...

Ben Voth

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 9:37:49 AM6/23/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
very cool. does it require php 5?
> You can download a copy of the alpha athttp://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/frs/?action=FrsReleaseBrowse&...

Gergő Erdősi

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 9:45:25 AM6/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Joomla! 1.6 requires PHP 5.2 (or above) and MySQL 5.0.4 (or above).

--
Gergő Erdősi


2009/6/23 Ben Voth <ben...@gmail.com>

Gary Brooks

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 10:11:10 AM6/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Great Job Everyone!   We have it installed so it past the first test :-)    


Gary Brooks
http://www.cloudaccess.net


2009/6/23 Gergő Erdősi <gergo....@joomline.org>

Alex Szilagyi

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 10:46:06 AM6/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I've seen that it runs faster :D Nice; I like it.

Michael Hamanaka

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 1:55:37 PM6/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Excellent work, testing now.


Mike Hamanaka
Website Production
Vertualize.com

Luis Galárraga

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 2:57:46 PM6/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I will try it.. excellent :D

2009/6/23 Michael Hamanaka <hama...@gmail.com>

Tonie

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 4:52:22 PM6/23/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Where do you want problems to be posted. Over here on the list or on
the 1.6 tracker? (in this case selecting another table prefix doesn't
work)

Tonie

Andrew Eddie

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 4:58:33 PM6/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
2009/6/23 da8iwr <virtuemart...@gmail.com>:
>
> This is excellent news, thanks for the heads up.
>
> Just 2 main questions though
>
> 1 - Do you know if the existing 1.5.X extensions will work on 1.6.X,
> or will they need modifying the work as they did with the 1.0 - 1.5
> transition?

1.5 extensions that are truly "native" will require the least
conversion. So developers that have put in the hard yards to rework
their extensions will be in the best position. Those that still
require legacy mode will not work at all.

>
> 2 - Will the 1.5 > 1.6 upgrade be seamless or will it need work as it
> does now with 1.0 > 1.5?

We don't know yet. I'm hoping that the upgrade will be as follows:

1. Take a copy of your 1.5 site and database.
2. Drop 1.6 over the top of this copy.
3. Run an SQL over your database.
4. Login to the admin of the site.
5. Run a cleanup routine.

That would be the ideal but I can't promise anything yet.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Rob Schley

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 5:59:56 PM6/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
At this point, just keep them to yourself. The trunk is going to keep changing rapidly and it makes bug reports extremely difficult and time consuming to manage. When we feel more confident in the trunk, we will start looking for bug reports again but, at this point, they won't be very helpful.

Best,
Rob

joomlagate.com

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 6:15:31 PM6/23/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Excellent! I am going to test it soon.

Thanks to you all!

I would like to remind you to add a new system plugin: built-in
CAPTCHA engine for forms, at least the Contact Us form.

I am using Jooma 1.0.x now and got too many spam emails via the
contact form due to without CAPTCHA protection.

I think this is not too difficult for you. Add a built-in CAPTCHA
engine will save much times for 3rd party developers since they can
just call the core CAPTHCA engine.

Thank you in advance.


joomlagate.com

http://www.joomlagate.com

Chinese Joomla Users' Portal

G. D. Speer

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 11:45:10 PM6/23/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Nice idea - a slight preference for recaptcha since it also accomplishes an
altristic mission,
and perhaps a form of Wilco's Moovum could be made core to round out the
hack and
bot-proofing and make Joomla ultra-hack-resistant as it comes of of the box.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.339 / Virus Database: 270.12.89/2197 - Release Date: 06/23/09
05:54:00

Rob Schley

unread,
Jun 23, 2009, 11:54:45 PM6/23/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Let's keep this thread on topic please. If you want to talk about CAPTCHA, start a new thread.

Thanks,
Rob

El Severo

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 6:41:08 AM6/24/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
After playing around a little bit with 1.6 version of Joomla I've
discovered that when I'm trying to insert an image into a article I
can't, the Insert button doesn't work; hope this little bug will be
fixed :D.

I haven't read much things about 1.6 version but does the 1.5 Joomla
native components will work on 1.6 ?

Thanks,
El

Tony Wild

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 6:58:32 AM6/24/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
@El Severo

An answer by Andrew:

"1.5 extensions that are truly "native" will require the least conversion. So developers that have put in the hard yards to rework their extensions will be in the best position. Those that stillrequire legacy mode will not work at all."

This means things won't work out of the box, since the ACL has been completely reformed. The total scope of changes is not known at the moment.

Alex Szilagyi

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 7:01:29 AM6/24/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
OK, Thank you for your answer :D

Amit Patekar

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 7:14:29 AM6/24/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
hi,
EI
i dont think there is any change in the components part, that is all the old components for joomla 1.5 will work in joomla 1.6
major improvement is access level and multi level categories,

About Bugs:
i think there must be some system for raising bugs, but not sure where it is.
if any body know please post a link here

regards
http://www.webworldguru.com
--
Amit Patekar
Project Manager (Web Development Team)
Ph.   020-27474017
Mob. 9766368209,
       9372450966
Add. 3/1 Prestige Complex
Chinchwad Station,
Telco Road, Near Sheetal Hotel,
Pune 411019
Maharashtra
India.

Gergő Erdősi

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 7:16:39 AM6/24/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Actually, ACL is the easier part of the conversion. :) Implementing
the new ACL system is not more than adding a few lines to your
extension.

--
Gergő Erdősi


2009/6/24 Tony Wild <ani...@gmail.com>

Gergő Erdősi

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 7:23:59 AM6/24/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Read Rob's message above:
http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-cms/msg/0d8942618ac3e747?hl=en-GB

--
Gergő Erdősi


2009/6/24 Amit Patekar <amitp...@gmail.com>

El Severo

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 7:30:51 AM6/24/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Yep, sorry 4 that :|  & Thank you Gergő

Christophe Demko

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 11:30:21 AM6/24/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi to all,

I published an "alpha" version of com_helloworld for joomla_1.6.0-
alpha at http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/helloworld_1_6

Actually it works (except the creation of new categories which seems
to be buggy in Joomla, not in my component I think)...


Ch.D

El Severo

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 11:35:24 AM6/24/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Christophe for sharing your J 1.6 Component :D

Gergő Erdősi

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 11:36:39 AM6/24/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this component! Yesterday I fixed the creation of new
categories, check out the latest revision if you want to test it.

--
Gergő Erdősi


2009/6/24 Christophe Demko <chd...@gmail.com>

skacko

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 6:56:34 PM6/24/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi to all,
I only have one question at this stage: is 1.6 SFTP friendly?
I downloaded, but it would not install (don't exactly know why).
cheers,
skacko

On Jun 25, 1:30 am, Christophe Demko <chde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I published an "alpha" version of com_helloworld for joomla_1.6.0-
> alpha athttp://joomlacode.org/gf/project/helloworld_1_6

Andrew Eddie

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 7:31:39 PM6/24/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
You need to contact your host for support about that issue.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

2009/6/25 skacko <miro...@gmail.com>:

Sam Moffatt

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 7:37:11 PM6/24/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
He is referring to an equivalence to the FTP layer, except using SFTP
instead of FTP. By SFTP, I believe he's referring to the SSH based FTP
server subsystem - not something on the hosts part. To answer the
question I don't think that is in there at the present moment, I will
have to have a look at merging some stuff back from experimental.

Sam Moffatt
http://pasamio.id.au

skacko

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 7:54:16 PM6/24/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Sam, correct. 1.5 and its FTP layer would not work with SSH FTP. I've
searched and searched and the only answer I found was that there's a
chance for 1.6 to be compatible. If not, we'll have to start looking
for FTP hostings only (which some of the clients prefer not to).
Thank you.
skacko

On Jun 25, 9:37 am, Sam Moffatt <pasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> He is referring to an equivalence to the FTP layer, except using SFTP
> instead of FTP. By SFTP, I believe he's referring to the SSH based FTP
> server subsystem - not something on the hosts part. To answer the
> question I don't think that is in there at the present moment, I will
> have to have a look at merging some stuff back from experimental.
>
> Sam Moffatthttp://pasamio.id.au
>
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Andrew Eddie<mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You need to contact your host for support about that issue.
>
> > Regards,
> > Andrew Eddie
> >http://www.theartofjoomla.com- the art of becoming a Joomla developer
>
> > 2009/6/25 skacko <miroer...@gmail.com>:

Louis Landry

unread,
Jun 24, 2009, 10:44:39 PM6/24/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Actually it is to do with the host as the SSH extension to php is required to support SFTP and the SSH extension is a PECL extension and not part of a standard PHP installation.

- Louis

--
Development Coordinator
Joomla! ... because open source matters.
http://www.joomla.org

Sam Moffatt

unread,
Jun 25, 2009, 12:24:20 AM6/25/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Sure, but its a moot point if we don't have the code to use it anyway.

Sam Moffatt
http://pasamio.id.au

Mr Phil E. Taylor

unread,
Jun 25, 2009, 2:42:10 AM6/25/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
current wordpress svn has code to do this :-)

> --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Joomla! CMS Development" group.
> To post to this group, send email to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to joomla-dev-cm...@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-cms?hl=en-GB
> -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
>
>

Louis Landry

unread,
Jun 25, 2009, 3:39:00 AM6/25/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Yes we have code in our svn tree that utilizes the ssh2 extension in our tree too Phil, it is not difficult stuff.  It isn't in the trunk at the moment, but it does exist -- albeit from my recollection it wasn't ever implemented as a replacement for or supplement to the FTP layer.  It wouldn't be a really difficult task to undertake but given that we nave no real capacity to have a pure PHP implementation and the ss2 PHP extension is non-standard I don't consider it to be a big priority.  The vast majority of our users won't be able to benefit from it and thus it takes a back seat to the things that a larger subset of the user base will benefit from.

That being said, I am sure if someone put together a working patch that made this available we could get it into trunk.

- Louis

enigmartin

unread,
Jun 25, 2009, 6:01:45 AM6/25/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Thanks for J! 1.6 Alpha, thanks for com_hello.

I can't install this component, because there is an attribute in the
install.sql that calls lang, but I think you mean language. I have
change it and it works.

On 25 Jun., 09:39, Louis Landry <louis.lan...@joomla.org> wrote:
> Yes we have code in our svn tree that utilizes the ssh2 extension in our
> tree too Phil, it is not difficult stuff.  It isn't in the trunk at the
> moment, but it does exist -- albeit from my recollection it wasn't ever
> implemented as a replacement for or supplement to the FTP layer.  It
> wouldn't be a really difficult task to undertake but given that we nave no
> real capacity to have a pure PHP implementation and the ss2 PHP extension is
> non-standard I don't consider it to be a big priority.  The vast majority of
> our users won't be able to benefit from it and thus it takes a back seat to
> the things that a larger subset of the user base will benefit from.
>
> That being said, I am sure if someone put together a working patch that made
> this available we could get it into trunk.
>
> - Louis
>
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Mr Phil E. Taylor <p...@phil-taylor.com>wrote:
>
>
>
> > current wordpress svn has code to do this :-)
>
> > Sam Moffatt wrote:
> > > Sure, but its a moot point if we don't have the code to use it anyway.
>
> > > Sam Moffatt
> > >http://pasamio.id.au
>
> > > On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Louis Landry<louis.lan...@joomla.org>
> > wrote:
> > >> Actually it is to do with the host as the SSH extension to php is
> > required
> > >> to support SFTP and the SSH extension is a PECL extension and not part
> > of a
> > >> standard PHP installation.
> > >> - Louis
> > >> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 6:54 PM, skacko <miroer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >>> Sam, correct. 1.5 and its FTP layer would not work with SSH FTP. I've
> > >>> searched and searched and the only answer I found was that there's a
> > >>> chance for 1.6 to be compatible. If not, we'll have to start looking
> > >>> for FTP hostings only (which some of the clients prefer not to).
> > >>> Thank you.
> > >>> skacko
>
> > >>> On Jun 25, 9:37 am, Sam Moffatt <pasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >>>> He is referring to an equivalence to the FTP layer, except using SFTP
> > >>>> instead of FTP. By SFTP, I believe he's referring to the SSH based FTP
> > >>>> server subsystem - not something on the hosts part. To answer the
> > >>>> question I don't think that is in there at the present moment, I will
> > >>>> have to have a look at merging some stuff back from experimental.
>
> > >>>> Sam Moffatthttp://pasamio.id.au
>
> > >>>> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Andrew Eddie<mambob...@gmail.com>
> > >>>> wrote:
>
> > >>>>> You need to contact your host for support about that issue.
> > >>>>> Regards,
> > >>>>> Andrew Eddie
> > >>>>>http://www.theartofjoomla.com-the art of becoming a Joomla

Andrew Eddie

unread,
Jun 25, 2009, 6:27:15 AM6/25/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
2009/6/25 enigmartin <ad...@genesis-nova.de>:
>
> Thanks for J! 1.6 Alpha, thanks for com_hello.
>
> I can't install this component, because there is an attribute in the
> install.sql that calls lang, but I think you mean language. I have
> change it and it works.

Can you let us know what you changed. Also, what is your MySQL version.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

enigmartin

unread,
Jun 25, 2009, 7:07:11 AM6/25/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Oh Sorry, I test the Version 0.0.4, because I'm trying to test the
Update-Function. There was the error.

In the Version 0.0.5 is this error corrected

My MySql-Version: 5.0.51a

a thousand pardons

On 25 Jun., 12:27, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/25 enigmartin <ad...@genesis-nova.de>:
>
>
>
> > Thanks for J! 1.6 Alpha, thanks for com_hello.
>
> > I can't install this component, because there is an attribute in the
> > install.sql that calls lang, but I think you mean language. I have
> > change it and it works.
>
> Can you let us know what you changed.  Also, what is your MySQL version.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com- the art of becoming a Joomla developer
> >> > >>>>>http://www.theartofjoomla.com-theart of becoming a Joomla
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages