JCM redesign phase 1: launching our new shorter list of topics

Paul Orwig

Jan 26, 2012, 8:21:12 PM1/26/12
to Joomla Community Magazine
Hi all,

We have had a few different team email threads that have touched on different aspects of a JCM redesign. Sorry (kind of), but now I'm starting another one...

Just in case anyone is confused by the different threads, here's the way I see how they all fit together:
  • Jen started and lead a good thread titled "JCM redesign: starting with the content strategy". That laid the groundwork for a number of things that we are building on.
  • I'm starting this thread to get us moving forward on our new shorter list of consolidated topics. I've called that "Phase 1" of the JCM redesign in the other threads.
  • Alice has started another current email thread titled "JCM: The Next Level". I've called that "Phase 2" of the JCM redesign in the other threads.
We can and should go ahead and implement Phase 1 while we are also discussing what to do about Phase 2. Phase 1 can be pretty quick and easy, in fact I'd like us to try and implement it for the March 1 issue.

Here are the main things we need to do for Phase 1:
  1. Get the new Business topic team to come up with a good label for their topic, establish a clear vision, and get an article ready for the March 1 issue. Mark, Rita, John, if you all haven't met to sort all that out yet, please try to coordinate that and let us know what you come up with.
  2. Get the new Project News team moving forward to build their contact list of project teams and begin getting in touch with them all to let them know what the plan is. Alice is leading that team with Mark and Guillermo.
  3. Get our other topic teams (developers, designers, administrators, sitebuilders, events, features) moving forward to define the visions for their topics, recruit new team members if needed, and get at least one good article ready for March 1.
  4. Get the Marketing team to give recommendations on quick easy changes we can make to the existing site for some nice gains (social media extensions, etc.)

Please let me know if anyone has any questions or concerns. I'll re-start another thread about the Project news team. Let's shoot for getting this done for the March 1 issue.

Thanks,

paul

The overall goals for Phase 1 are shared below, as also previously shared in the "content strategy" and "next level" threads.

Basically what we need to do is

previously shared in both:

Present the new list of consolidated topics in the existing right side
   "In this issue" module.
   - If we want to start more comprehensive tagging of articles, we will
   need to modify how our "In this issue" modules display topic and article
   links.
   - No significant horizontal nav changes.
   - The main part of the home page doesn't really need to change much
   beyond potentially adding a description of the current issue's theme (if we
   adopt the theme idea-no suggestions for January themes got much traction),
   adding a module with social media links, and implement some marketing
   improvements (list article ideas, etc.).

porwig

Feb 2, 2012, 3:33:58 PM2/2/12
to Joomla Community Magazine
Hi all,

It's time to move forward on Phase 1 of the redesign, with a goal of
launching that for the March 1 issue. All that Phase 1 consists of is
simply moving to our new shorter list of topics that were defined as
part of the content strategy discussion.

Beginning with the March 1 issue, we want to publish at least one
strong article for each of these topics in each JCM issue (current
Author/Editor team members are listed after each topic):

* Designers: Peter
* Developers: Arlen
* Administrators: Mark
* Sitebuilders: Hagen
- Potential re-started Extension evaluations team that will
likely fit within the new Sitebuilders’s topic (goal: ??? total):
Sully, Rita
* Feature stories (or come up with a better label?): Alice
* Business oriented stories (needs a good label!): John, Mark, Rita
* Project news: Alice, Guillermo, Mark
* Events: Jen, Jon, Hagen
* Help wanted topic: Dianne, paul

The Author/Editor teams are responsible for getting at least one
strong article in their topic for each JCM issue. But anyone is
welcome to contribute to any topic, you should just coordinate with
that topic's Author/Editor team. For example, Milena and Dianne are
working on a book review for Andrea Tarr's PHP book. That will fit
under the Developers topic, so they just need to confirm their plans
with Arlen, who is our current Author/Editor for the Developers topic.

Here is a link to a shared document with information to give our
Author/Editor team members some direction for forming and establishing
your teams, and some ideas for how to build interest for your topic:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LXuWbFsmKzHRZF1rcm7nqbHGaNyWmEeigcDZomsc_kA/edit

Thanks to everyone for helping to move the JCM forward. Please share
your thoughts, ideas, questions, or concerns!

Best,

paul
with Dianne and Alice