An important message on the Nationals - why you should enter and what we're planning

Jollyboat Class Association

Feb 23, 2022, 1:33:13 AM2/23/22
to J14 Class Association NZ
Kia ora koutou folks

No doubt height of mind is Covid and what the future holds - well for the J14 Nationals it's no biggie. The Nationals are full steam ahead and Howick are totally across all the protocols to keep everyone safe.
We'll adjust our plans as things develop in the community.

The risk to entry is negligible
Howick have committed to refunding entry fees (see NOR) if there's a cancellation. The only thing they can't refund is any T-Shirt orders - but you'll receive one if you order one. So in reality there's no risk in entering now; for us doing the organising we can see what the uptake is plus catering numbers etc - but as I've said you won't be risking your entry fee.

Any questions around entry just give me a call on 021-346507 - we've got a few solutions to any common concerns; just ask.

Why this years event will be huge for newbies
  • We have an existing "most improved" prize - which is always worth winning
  • We will also have a mini competition for mid fleet down - and there will be 1st ,2nd  and 3rd prizes for this.
  • Finally we'll trial a "Buddy system" where top end sailors will pair up with those with less experience and provide some tips and support.
  • We're committed to help all those new to the Class - just come along.

Refresh your understanding of the rules
With Covid and challenges around getting volunteers we won't have on course judges and don't want to see protests as it requires a physical meeting.
Key areas to check out are starting and buoy rounding, so google some rule interpretations. for example being on port tack at the top mark (in 15 knots) isn't the time to wonder if you have rights - invariably you don't when starboard tack boats are close. Read up on the key rules and we'll have a really fun event.

As we can't predict what late March will look like I'll keep everyone posted on our plans but for now I'm entered and I'll be on the water barring some idiot mandating we can't. If you have questions just call me on 021-346507.

Hope to see everyone at Howick.