Results from the recent voting

J156 - Jim The Fish

Oct 22, 2020, 1:54:07 AM10/22/20
to J14 Class Association NZ

Hi Fellow J14 sailors !
Yes it's official the voting has passed the resolution of name change with 88% approval.
The boom size change received 94% approval.
And centreboard rule change 71% approval.

Summary of the Voting provided by our returning officer (Matt):
· Reduction in the weight of the centreboard by 0.5kg to 2.7kg (17 Voted; 12 for, 5 Against)
· Increase of the maximum diameter of the ring for the boom section to fit through to 80mm ring (18 Voted; 17 for, 1 against)
· Change of the class association name to J14 (17 voted; 15 for, 2 against).
This means that these changes take effect immediately.
The name change will go through official channels (incorporated society) and YNZ approval.
This is a significant branding change so I expect a transition period of potentially years as the wider community learns of it and our class communications and PR adapts.

As a personal comment I believe these changes are very well considered and move the class forward. The rule changes did receive feedback and it would be remiss of us not to acknowledge the feedback. As reflected in the voting, concern was expressed on the possible cost of getting the centreboard down to weight. If you do have this concern contact me and I can assist with options in that regard. Don't let it be a negative.
The boom decision was geared to providing accessibility to more than one procurement source and I’d point out that it is not about giving competitive advantage.

As always I’m more than happy to take a call to discuss anything you may care to discuss.
Hope to see everyone on the water at Pupuke in November.
Regards
Jim