1.2.0 cut / 2.0.0.pre0 timing

Steven Parkes

Jan 26, 2010, 3:50:49 PM1/26/10
to johnso...@googlegroups.com
John cut 1.2.0 yesterday. Yay! No longer have to say "stop the freaking segfaulting".

We have the unstable branch now that has my tracemonkey changes and which has been discussed in IRC as the basis for a 2.0. So the question at hand is whether to do and the timing of a 2.0.0.pre0 prelease gem. I have a bunch of downstream stuff that needs it, so I'm particularly motivated.

unstable currently has spidermonkey as of Firefox 3.5 and mathewd's new cross-language exception stack trace stuff (cool!)

There's a few things that I'd like to see in 2.0 that aren't there yet. The first one that comes to mind is a way to set the VM size for SM.

I'm also looking at the new SM release from the FireFox 3.6 code base, now that that's cut.

So there are things to do, but my vote would be for doing a pre0 now, rather than wait for that stuff. That way we can get more feedback earlier? This is a fairly big change, so I figure the more time it has to percolate, the better. I would think the changes after this should be smaller ...

Aaron Patterson

Jan 26, 2010, 3:57:24 PM1/26/10
to johnso...@googlegroups.com

Release early and often. :-)

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/

John Barnette

Jan 26, 2010, 4:12:25 PM1/26/10
to johnso...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Steven Parkes <smpa...@smparkes.net> wrote:
> We have the unstable branch now that has my tracemonkey changes and which has been discussed in IRC as the basis for a 2.0. So the question at hand is whether to do and the timing of a 2.0.0.pre0 prelease gem. I have a bunch of downstream stuff that needs it, so I'm particularly motivated.

I don't have any objection to doing 2.0.0.pre0 now. The major things
I'd like to hit for 2.0.0 proper are updating to the newest
Tracemonkey, removing Spidermonkey support entirely and a lot of
documentation.

Other interested folks, chime in now. If there are no objections, I'll
probably release 2.0.0.pre0 tomorrow.

~ j.