Tiller length, Boom ID

alfre...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2022, 1:55:40 PM9/1/22
to Johnson 18 One Design -2022
Greetings everyone,

I'm the new owner of 109. Trying to put back together properly.

Does anyone know the tiller length form rudder stock to tip?

And how high from deck on the transom?

109 is missing its original rudder tiller assembly and I'm in the process of replacing it all.
Already found a catamaran rudder blade that is 43" long.

Also, if anybody knows the ID of the boom?

Picture of the gooseneck would be appreciated as well. Yes, it's missing the original boom too. There is one present that might suffice for a while.

Sorry for all the questions, if searched the group list and even though i was able to find a wealth of information there are still a few missing pieces to the puzzle.

 TIA,

Alfredo
Kemah, Tx.

Chris Herbster

Sep 1, 2022, 3:47:52 PM9/1/22
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alfredo,
Welcome aboard!

Try going to https://johnson18.org/specs/#standingrigging  Other pages may have pictures/specs for your needs.
I forget who put this site together but it was a huge gift to our community.  Also, I remember a discussion about a better rudder design.  I think the Falcon F18 rudder might have been offered as a good solution, but again my memory ....

Good luck, she's a fun boat.
Chris
Daytona Beach, FL
176

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Johnson 18 One Design -2021 group. To post to this group, send email to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to johnson-18-one-d...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/johnson-18-one-design?hl=en
---

alfre...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2022, 5:26:38 PM9/1/22
to Johnson 18 One Design -2022
never mind about the boom. I found Santiago's thread and I'm just going to order the 470 boom.
But I still don't know about the gooseneck.

Santiago Rovira

Sep 2, 2022, 2:41:01 PM9/2/22
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alfredo!
I bought the 470 boom, the gooseneck and the blocks at Vela Sailing Supply (https://www.velasailingsupply.com/).
Here is the order placed with SKU's.

image.png

Regards,

Santiago

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Johnson 18 One Design -2021 group. To post to this group, send email to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to johnson-18-one-d...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/johnson-18-one-design?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Johnson 18 One Design -2022" group.

alfre...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2022, 6:26:20 PM9/2/22
to Johnson 18 One Design -2022
Hello Chris, thanks for your reply!

I did look trough the J18 site and found a wealth of useful information but not the ID of the boom.
No biggie, I'll just use the information from the Selden boom that Santiago provided.
Just weighing my options, might have to make my own boom out of recycled extrusions from a riggers yard.

Thanks again,

Alfredo
Kemah, Tx.

alfre...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2022, 11:11:07 AM9/3/22
to Johnson 18 One Design -2022
Opinions sought:

derek mckesson

Sep 3, 2022, 11:13:17 AM9/3/22
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com
The best there is, want one for my FD!

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 3, 2022, at 10:11 AM, alfre...@gmail.com <alfre...@gmail.com> wrote:

Opinions sought:

alfre...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2022, 11:38:21 AM9/3/22
to Johnson 18 One Design -2022
COOL!!!

Thanks for the feedback!
I'm missing the tiller/rudder assembly.
What size tiller? 1 meter??
And I think the gudgeons are 1/2 inch (12mm?) so go for the 10 (I'm assuming that's 10mm)

Thanks y'all!
Screenshot 2022-09-03 10.31.32 AM.png

Theo McDonald

Sep 3, 2022, 8:07:57 PM9/3/22
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com
I got mine (after it broke during a capsize) from McMaster Carr

89965K92 Multipurpose Aluminum Tubing, 3/4" OD, .62" ID, .065" Wall Thickness, 3' Length

This is thicker wall than the original, but works very well.

Jeff Mackenstadt

Sep 4, 2022, 2:19:00 PM9/4/22
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com
Built one from McMaster last year. Came out  great.

--

Jeffery H. Mackenstadt
Co-Founder | Phone: 218.766.3650

Robert Mundell

Sep 11, 2022, 9:04:09 AM9/11/22
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com
 I replaced a centerboard for our Johnson 18 and as a professional rigger replaced many rudders from various sailboats.  I had success years ago finding OEM quality  from a Florida company Foss Foam.

Possibly you could find what you need by reaching out to them?

Sent from my iPhone

alfre...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2022, 3:53:31 PM9/11/22
to Johnson 18 One Design -2022
Hi,
I'm going to take the easy route since I don't have any of the fittings for the boom or rudder.
For the boom I'm going with the Selden and rudder will come from Dotan. All fittings included.

Now, I just need the tiller length.

And what size tiller extension if you'll be on the trapeze?

I don;t have access to the boat at the moment to guesstimate.

Thanks to all.

Alfredo
Kemah, Tx.

Rick Paullin

Sep 12, 2022, 1:02:23 PM9/12/22
to Johnson 18 One Design -2022
Tiller length of 1m sounds about right.
The original length always seemed slightly too long.
One of the owners in our fleet actually cut down the length by about 6"-7".

For the extension length, I've seen International 14s with dual extensions (one on each side).  Their extensions looked to be about 6'-7' long.

Several of the I-14s just used white PVC pipe (or grey PVC conduit) -- maybe 1/2" or 3/4".  That stuff is so cheap, it would allow you to experiment with the length until you find what feels right.  I use a telescoping extension, and I like it slightly longer in heavier air (but I don't have a trapeze).

Good luck with setting it up!

  - Rick

derek mckesson

alfre...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2022, 2:36:46 PM9/12/22
to Johnson 18 One Design -2022
That's pretty cool idea! I would have never thought of that, probably cause I don't fish.

Not to get too personal... how long is yours?

Thanks!

Alfredo

derek mckesson

Sep 12, 2022, 4:20:27 PM9/12/22
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com
On my AC it is 7 feet long! On the J18 about 3’ but I used a forestar telescoping one.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 12, 2022, at 1:36 PM, alfre...@gmail.com <alfre...@gmail.com> wrote:

That's pretty cool idea! I would have never thought of that, probably cause I don't fish.

alfre...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2022, 9:57:02 PM9/12/22
to Johnson 18 One Design -2022
PVC, another great idea!  Let the experimenting Begin!!!

Thank you Rick.