Missing Jib Furler Line

Justin Tuttle

Oct 10, 2021, 1:13:49 PM10/10/21
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com
Hello all, I'm new to the group. I recently purchased hull #134 that's been off the water since 1998 (I believe).
On my maiden voyage I discovered that I don't have a job furling line in the cockpit area, there's one on the spool up front, and it feeds into the hole in the deck, but from there it never reappears. I expected the jib furling line to come out of the same spot under the mini-deck where the Spinnaker pole rests when not in use.
Can anyone provide some guidance as to how to rig this line?  Attached is a photo of my Spinnaker pole tunnel where there's a Bungie cord, the downhaul for the pole, and the line to extend the pole.
Screenshot_20211009-175332.png

Justin Tuttle

Oct 15, 2021, 7:41:56 AM10/15/21
to Johnson 18 One Design -2021
I've pulled this from the the rigging video and it appears to answer my question. At this point I think there's not much to do besides getting a coathanger or similar and figuring out how to route the new line.
johnson18_under_deck.jpg

Jeremy Lyman

Oct 15, 2021, 7:45:03 AM10/15/21
to Johnson 18 One Design -2021
Hi Justin,
Sorry for the late reply (I'd composed this response in my head but not typed it up)
You're on the right track, you just need to fish the line all the way through the pole tube.  This is the unattributed advice I found on our running-rigging page: https://johnson18.org/repair/running_rigging/

  • Probably the easiest is to use about 12 feet of wire (like bailing wire), stiff enough to be able to push it. Run it through the bow well to the stern, taping the new line (about 18' is about right for the line length- get a couple more feet to be safe- or more if you've got it run farther aft) to the end of the wire, when you can get a hold of the wire, gently pull the whole thing through from the cockpit until you get your line.

Jeremy Lyman

Oct 15, 2021, 7:50:06 AM10/15/21
to Johnson 18 One Design -2021
Here's a photo of 125 a few years ago with the lines labeled.  The furler is the smallest diameter line (to get through the hole), but the small diameter makes it hard to pull as well, so any friction points you encounter will feel amplified.
jibfurler.png