Johnson 18 traveler specs?

cameron...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2020, 12:01:41 AM9/3/20
to Johnson 18 One Design -2020
Hi all,

One of the two moulded plastic end caps on our traveler broke unexpectedly, spilling ball bearing all over the cockpit, and leaving us with a poor-man's block lashed to the centrepost (i.e., fixed traveler).

Does anyone know the precise specs/model of the standard (factory) traveler on the J18? I'm aware that it's a Harken windward sheeting center traveler (something like the designs listed here under that category: https://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=3914), but I'm unaware of the specific model, dimensions, &c--in terms of repair or replacement.

I searched the rigging manual, specs pages, and this group under the heading 'traveler' and didn't catch any leads.

Thanks much,
Cameron

markgri...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2020, 7:37:32 AM9/3/20
to Johnson 18 One Design -2020
I suggest you contact the designer - Rodger Martin here: https://www.rodgermartindesign.com/

I broke my centerboard last year and reached out to him to see if he knew of a source for replacement.  As I wasn’t able to source a used or NOS one, I ended up having one fabricated.  Rodger was very gracious and sent me the CAD drawings for the board which I was able to provide to the fabricator (competition composites in Canada).

In any case, It’s possible Rodger may be able to point you to the hardware specifics.  Of course, Johnson Boat works outfitted the boat, so he may not know which traveler.  But, I’m not sure you’ll find anybody related to the builder anymore. I had tried that route too.  Good luck!

Jeremy Lyman

Sep 3, 2020, 7:44:26 AM9/3/20
to johnson-18-one-design
Goot tip Mark!  Cameron, let us know what you discover along the way.  Sounds like you'd have some material for a new "repairs" section.

Rick Paullin

Sep 4, 2020, 9:48:27 AM9/4/20
to Johnson 18 One Design -2020
Hi Cameron,

Sounds like a mess!

I've done a little work on my traveler and re-loading all those ball bearings is a real pain...
Do you have one of those blue plastic thing-a-ma-jigs that Harken supplies for re-loading?
Our boat came with one from the factory, but they'd be pretty easy to lose if the boat's been sold.

I'd recommend calling Harken for advice and parts:  262-691-3320

Here's their web page about specific travelers: https://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=3914
I think our boat has the "3:1 Windward Sheeting" model on that page.

Here's their web page about travelers in general: https://www.harken.com/traveler/
That page has a photo with the model number for the 22mm track.

Also, if you get really stuck, you might try calling White Bear Boat Works: 651-429-7221
They're located in the original Johnson Boat Works building, and the owner (Jason) used to work at JBW.

Good luck!
  - Rick

Jeremy Lyman

Sep 4, 2020, 9:51:01 AM9/4/20
to johnson-18-one-design
image.png
Screencap of the Harkin page for posterity.

cameron...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2021, 12:54:39 PM8/4/21
to Johnson 18 One Design -2021
Hey all,

Just an update for the record:

We called Jason at White Bear Boat Works, which was (if I can put it gently) less than helpful. It seems the ethos/morale may have changed there in the last couple of years....

Rodger Martin was lovely to correspond with, but had little current info or contacts for hardware & fittings. On the whole, it seemed difficult to source used/spare parts for this need.

We eventually made our way to the customer service department at Harken, whose repair team was able to recommend a repair kit for the non-captive bearing-style windward sheeting traveler on the J18:  HSB501.

It includes fresh new end caps, ample torlon bearings (21 per side), with a slick bearing loader, and Loctite for the end cap screws. It was a smooth and fairly slick job (just a little fiddling getting nuts and washers off from under the deck, to free up the traveler rail, without losing them). Great, affordable repair kit if your traveler ever blows out the way ours did.

cheers,
Cameron