tensiometer--J18 shroud size

cameron...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2021, 2:13:28 AM3/16/21
to Johnson 18 One Design -2021
Hey team,

I've been wondering about using a tensiometer for our J18 shrouds. Loos apparently sells three different sizes:
PT-1 = 3/32 - 5/32" diameter wire cable
PT-2 = 3/16 - 1/4" diameter wire cable
PT-3 = 1/4 - 3/8" diameter wire cable.

The online J18 spec sheet appears to indicate 3mm shrouds (upper & lower), which is 0.118 inches, or a little above 3/32 (0.094 inches). So a Loos PT-1 tensiometer would appear to do the trick?

Can anyone confirm shroud size, or the size/range tensiometer you've used for your J18?

Thanks much,
Cameron

Mike & Amy Borinski

Mar 16, 2021, 5:49:55 AM3/16/21
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone intrested in purchasing a johnson18

Five Cubed Skipper

Jun 3, 2021, 9:52:32 AM6/3/21
to Johnson 18 One Design -2021
Cameron-- seems like most J18 sailors haven't been detail oriented enough to be measuring shroud tension... Not that you shouldn't! But I like to watch the bend in the mast and main shape in breeze, so I keep my lowers pretty loose...that's about as specific as I've gotten...(I've also got 10+ year old main... so that's what I'd buy before measuring shroud tension!)

-Brian

Chris Herbster

Jun 3, 2021, 2:17:07 PM6/3/21
to johnson-18...@googlegroups.com
Mike and Amy,

A friend recently said they might be interested here in Florida.  Where is the boat?

Sorry for the hijack of the shroud discussion!

Chris